British Speedway Forum
Racin Jason 72

What’s in a name ??

Now lakeside are going to relocate to Rye House what are they going to call the team.  

The obvious is the Rye House hammers but will that alienate some fans from both sides ? 

Historically cradley at stoke. The Scottish monarchs. Boston riding at kings Lynn. Coventry riding at Leicester and cradley riding at Birmingham have all been unsuccessful to a degree. 

I think in this case lakeside should retain the name for the remainder of this season and next season the team should revert to Rye House rockets. 

Would this stop lakeside fans attending ??? Or will the rocket fans support a lakeside team ??

intresting times ahead.  I’m just glad we are not loosing another team. 

Very intrested to know what the views are of the rockets and hammers supporters are. 

• Like 1

Doesnt work in most cases . Just going by experience . 

In 1996 when it was Scottish Monarchs , it was basically an Edinburgh team plus Mick Powell , riding at Glasgow . 

A lot of Monarchs fans wouldnt go because it was at Shawfield and we went to cheer for the opposition every week . That got boring after a while and the crowd levels dwindled . Thankfully it only lasted a season and we both got our identities back . 

2 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Doesnt work in most cases . Just going by experience . 

In 1996 when it was Scottish Monarchs , it was basically an Edinburgh team plus Mick Powell , riding at Glasgow . 

A lot of Monarchs fans wouldnt go because it was at Shawfield and we went to cheer for the opposition every week . That got boring after a while and the crowd levels dwindled . Thankfully it only lasted a season and we both got our identities back . 

You could say that the Scottish Monarchs was an example where it did work.

It kept speedway running in Scotland for that year and made both sides realise they still wanted their own club...

24 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Now lakeside are going to relocate to Rye House what are they going to call the team.  

The obvious is the Rye House hammers but will that alienate some fans from both sides ? 

Historically cradley at stoke. The Scottish monarchs. Boston riding at kings Lynn. Coventry riding at Leicester and cradley riding at Birmingham have all been unsuccessful to a degree. 

I think in this case lakeside should retain the name for the remainder of this season and next season the team should revert to Rye House rockets. 

Would this stop lakeside fans attending ??? Or will the rocket fans support a lakeside team ??

intresting times ahead.  I’m just glad we are not loosing another team. 

Very intrested to know what the views are of the rockets and hammers supporters are. 

The Rye House supporters never attended in sufficient numbers this season to make it viable. To alienate the hammers fans next year by removing any connection with their club, would be a mistake in my opinion. You have to embrace the history of both teams, for this venture to have any chance of success.

• Like 1

Just now, HenryW said:

It kept speedway running in Scotland for that year and made both sides realise they still wanted their own club...

Yes i suppose there is that view . It did keep things alive up here until Armadale became home for the Monarchs . But it was still a weird season going to Shawfield that season and not seeing a Tigers racejacket 

2 minutes ago, HenryW said:

I believe it nearly killed the promotion financially 

3 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

I believe it nearly killed the promotion financially 

Damn right -- and the "Workington Tigers" were just as crippling financially to the Beatons in 1987, as were the "Barrow Bandits" to the Taylor/Fairbairn axis in 1981.   Neither reached the end of their respective season.

It just doesn't work.     However, if the former Lakeside promotion are going to hire the Rye House facilities to run speedway this and (more importantly) next year it can only be a good thing, provided they don't try to create a "Rye House Hammers" feel for their new show.     

They'll soon find the the thirty miles from old to new homes are a long, long road.   

• Like 2

Just a question, do many Lakeside fans travel to Rye House? also would enough travel to make it more viable than it was for Rye House? (I know that's 2 questions) lol.

11 minutes ago, redlead said:

Just a question, do many Lakeside fans travel to Rye House? also would enough travel to make it more viable than it was for Rye House? (I know that's 2 questions) lol.

That is the big question. No doubt the few meetings lakeside will be running at Rye, will determine what happens next season. 

Interesting comments, I honestly believe the team name is a no win situation for the promotion so they may as well bite the bullet and go down the Rockets route at least it will have synonymity with local media and local folk.

This sort of issue demonstrates just how fickle Speedway supporters can be if they choose to be so, when Cradley moved to Stoke it was a financial disaster yet the club name has been able to run, closer to the Black Country, as a nomad team relatively successfully and just about viable for some seasons. I know this proves that Dudley Wood closed prematurely but neither Stoke or Cradley fans gave the Promoters the best of both worlds at Loomer Road.

If you look at the number of revived team names swishing about the development leagues there is a small core of used to go folk who trip around following the club name and do a good job keeping the name alive but is that really enough to build on?

I honestly believe that an experienced promotion that can; put right the obvious wrongs of the previous Promoters, avoid paying riders stupid money and operate with a Promoter who maintains enthusiasm instead of rocking up at 8 o'clock in shorts, flip flops and cocked shades (so not JC IMHO) has the basis to make it work.

They can start by shovelling all that 5hit off the centre green !

Edited by Byker Biker

The name can have a significant effect on how fans identify (or don't identify) with a team, and I agree with City Rebel - if this season's 'experiment' is seen as a success, and the Lakeside promotion run at RH next season, the name should incorporate both elements. Eg, Rye House Hammers or Hoddesdon Hammers.

3 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Interesting comments, I honestly believe the team name is a no win situation for the promotion so they may as well bite the bullet and go down the Rockets route at least it will have synonymity with local media and local folk.

This sort of issue demonstrates just how fickle Speedway supporters can be if they choose to be so, when Cradley moved to Stoke it was a financial disaster yet the club name has been able to run, closer to the Black Country, as a nomad team relatively successfully and just about viable for some seasons. I know this proves that Dudley Wood closed prematurely but neither Stoke or Cradley fans gave the Promoters the best of both worlds at Loomer Road.

If you look at the number of revived team names swishing about the development leagues there is a small core of used to go folk who trip around following the club name and do a good job keeping the name alive but is that really enough to build on?

I honestly believe that an experienced promotion that can; put right the obvious wrongs of the previous Promoters, avoid paying riders stupid money and operate with a Promoter who maintains enthusiasm instead of rocking up at 8 o'clock in shorts, flip flops and cocked shades (so not JC IMHO) has the basis to make it work.

They can start by shovelling all that 5hit off the centre green !

Couldn't agree more with that last sentence!

• Thanks 1

If a team does race next year then a name etc will surely depend on which promotion is running it.

Perhaps Cook and Scott can join forces - especially with Cooks experience and that gives Stuart Douglas a way out.

There would then be a new club formed ......   The Rye Park Racers !