British Speedway Forum
Conkers

Ice Speedway 2018/19

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

Seemed somewhat strange to hold the team final at Heerenveen

I spoke to Tony Steele a few weeks ago, and he told me that the team final was to be moved, as the host nation didn't feel they could enter a competitive team. As this was confidential information, I had to hold back on saying anything.

22 hours ago, steve69 said:

Do we know when the provisional dates become factual dates?

I would love to book Heerenveen flights & may go to Berlin. That`ll be a first for me.

If I do Berlin is the first/second turn a good place to watch or what is the back straight opposite the start-line like? 

From the coverage I have seen you appear quite low at the start-line. And turn 4 is high up & a distance from the track.

Inzell already sorted. Please look out for me Conkers! Hopefully at the start-line with the Union Jack flag again.

I think the Western dates are certain, Steve. 

Personally, I think you cant go wrong on the first/second turn, or the back straight as they come out of the turn. The home straight does have terracing but I think you are further away from the track.

As Iris123 pointed out Turn 3/4 is a waste of time, unless you have powerful binoculars and even then I'd avoid it.

Edited by Conkers
Typing. What else?

53 minutes ago, Conkers said:

I spoke to Tony Steele a few weeks ago, and he told me that the team final was to be moved, as the host nation didn't feel they could enter a competitive team. As this was confidential information, I had to hold back on saying anything.

I think the Western dates are certain, Steve. 

Personally, I think you cant go wrong on the first/second turn, or the back straight as they come out of the turn. The home straight does have terracing but I think you are further away from the track.

As Iris123 pointed out Turn 3/4 is a waste of time, unless you have powerful binoculars and even then I'd avoid it.

Exactly!They would kick out another team just to get slaughtered in front of their fans

Thanks for the information. Looking at some hotels with a 3pm check-in. What time does the German Championship start on the Thursday. As I`m looking to arrive on the same day or would you suggest coming in a day earlier?

Rumour  is UFA will host the European championship 

Edited by iris123

Hi everyone, a newbie to the forum and a have only relatively recently been introduced to ice speedway. Went to Heerenveen 2017 and Inzell 2018, loved both of them.

Is it just me or is there a complete lack of info on the web about one of the most compelling exciting motorcycle sports on the planet?

Anyway, hoping to go back to Inzell in 2019, I know someone suggested the western dates are pretty certain. Is it safe enough to book flights yet or are the FIM likely to change things? Obviously looking to keep cost to a mimimum!!!

On 10/15/2018 at 10:44 PM, Schwantz34 said:

Hi everyone, a newbie to the forum and a have only relatively recently been introduced to ice speedway. Went to Heerenveen 2017 and Inzell 2018, loved both of them.

Is it just me or is there a complete lack of info on the web about one of the most compelling exciting motorcycle sports on the planet?

Anyway, hoping to go back to Inzell in 2019, I know someone suggested the western dates are pretty certain. Is it safe enough to book flights yet or are the FIM likely to change things? Obviously looking to keep cost to a mimimum!!!

If you can be patient with the translation the Russian Forum is quite good http://www.russpeedway.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Speedweek in Germany is another good source of info http://www.speedweek.com/bahnsport/ as is the Russian Site Speedway Press http://www.speedway-press.ru

With any luck http://www.icespeedway.co.uk may be back up and running in the forthcoming season, as the Editor had extensive work commitments last year so his site took a bit of a back seat.

Of course you must check https://www.baansportfansite.nl which has an up to date results service and usually links to Periscope coverage of meetings they attend 

There are a few of us on here who post the links to the live meetings from Russia, although it does require an early start at the weekend if you want to watch them.

As for the Western dates, they are usually accurate as the Inzell and Heerenveen meetings have to fall in line with the speed skating, so if you do book for Inzell its pretty much guaranteed to be on. The only thing I would do is get your tickets and accomodation for Inzell booked now. Many places are booked the year before but a look on Booking.com or Late rooms may get you somewhere unless you hire a car and drive in. I understand that parking will be at a premium at Max-Aicher-Arena this year as a press release mentioned a shuttle bus from the centre of Inzell to the track, but considering the size of Inzell,  I'm at a loss where everyone will be able to park.

Considering the numbers of Brits going to Inzell every year, maybe we should all meet up for a pre-meeting drink. Anyone?

On 10/15/2018 at 10:44 PM, Schwantz34 said:

You can also look at ice racing on this page, -  http://www.speedwaychampions.com/ice-champions.php
Ice-Racing.jpg

Edited by britmet
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for the info folks.

When I went to Inzell last year I got lucky with a last minute room in the town, although I paid through the nose for it!! I'm keen to get flights booked because I can see the prices creeping up and up. Family coming too and now bound by school so less flexibility about when we fly. As for accommodation don't mind driving from nearby town given the family are there and know where the shuttle bus pick ups are from last year.

As luck would have it I'm in Berlin on a stag 1st to 3rd March, all the others are heading home Sun morning but I'm staying on a day to sample the Horst Dohm eisstadion. Is it easy enough t get tickets for the second day when there or better pre booking?

Such a pity no such ice rinks in UK although I do think if they televised it there would be plenty of attention grabbed given all the thrills and spills

Considering the numbers of Brits going to Inzell every year, maybe we should all meet up for a pre-meeting drink. Anyone?

HI Conkers, Tickets booked & will have the trusty union jack at the start-line. Hoping to be at practice.So, yes to a drink. I do owe you!!! Maybe we can touch base at some point. Assuming you have time cos I know its a busy period for you. There will be 4 of us this year. 3 at the start & my son is going to stand on the back straight with the partisan fans (either the Russians or Frankie fans). Booked Hotel in Heerenveen just awaiting the confirmation before I book a flight to Amsterdam. Still undecided re-Berlin cos of the weather here in February & getting to Stansted.

Provisional by FIM:

12.01 - Quali 1 - Örnsköldvsik
12.01 - Quali 2 - Kauhajoki

02.02 / 03.02 - Finale 1 - Almaty
09.02 / 10.02 - Finale 2 - Shadrinsk
02.03 / 03.03 - Finale 3 - Berlin
16.03 / 17.03 - Finale 4 - Inzell
30.03 / 31.03 - Finale 5 - Heerenveen

16.02 / 17.02 - Teams - Togliatti

Kauhajokil is a bit in the sticks but A LOT closer to everybody than Ylitornio. They also stage the Finnish final this/next season.

1 minute ago, f-s-p said:

Kauhajokil is a bit in the sticks but A LOT closer to everybody than Ylitornio. They also stage the Finnish final this/next season.

Any travel recommendations? Fly to Tampere I guess?

1. Take winter clothing.

2. Tampere is closer than Helsinki, but only 2 hrs (1,5 if Im driving) between them on a motorway. I dont know about other airports but apparently Vaasa still has one but Seinäjoki I guess is closed. You deffo need a car.

EDIT: actually with the winter speed limit of 100kmh it would be 2 hrs even with me driving.

Edited by f-s-p
  • Like 1

Wow, they changed Heerenveen to 6th and 7th April. It's now on the FIM calendar so just letting you guys know in case it affects anyone's plans :t: