British Speedway Forum
Tosh1218

Scunthorpe v Workington shield semi finals

On 9/7/2018 at 11:26 AM, lucifer sam said:

So point out one occasion this season when Scunthorpe have not fulfilled a fixture?

It should also be pointed out that the washed out home fixture for Scunthorpe against Lakeside on May 25 was re-staged on June 22, before Steve Worrall and Stefan Nielsen were fit, which again blows out of the water the claims of the keyboard warriors.

Scunthorpe have simply got on with their meetings, on their designated race-night. 

On 9/7/2018 at 12:11 PM, montie said:

you didn't start the season until 14/4   and ran two meetings up to the start of June    you were behind on fixtures from the get go,,,,,,and same as last season,playing catch up

now don't get me wrong,i don't really agree with the call to pull your fixtures,i think it was unfair,but the blame cannot be solely laid at not being allowed to run on those two or three Fridays

2 meetings by 1st June at Derwent Park whereas Scunny ran 5, Sheff ran 6, Redcar 6 ,Berwick 6, P`Boro 5  there lies the problem  but to add some balance i don't know about Stadium availability during the first 2 months of the season

Honestly

Its a bit of a moot point now as the season is coming to a conclusion without much issue (but the usual panic) however if the drinks night comes off this Friday at Scunny with the riders and the promotion (and anyone who attends) ask Rob what the catalyst was for the pulling of the Friday meetings and I think you will find it was a Sunday meeting that tipped everything over the edge where a team who had a guest booked in to ride at No 3, and if that rider had been injured in either of his Friday or Saturday meetings (which were designated race nights for his own club) would have meant the club he was booked in to guest for on the Sunday would have had to run with a National League rider due to the fact that they were having to use 3 guests and R/R and there was absolutely no one else available. Crazy but true.

Also I think you will find that Scunny have utilised their second race day twice this season although I do agree that they have just got on with their meetings and been fortunate that they have not been in a position where their fixture list has been pulled and required meetings to be rearranged. On the Keyboard Warriors comment (which I had to Google for a meaning as I wasn't sure if it was a compliment or not) (and its not) its okay leaping to the defence of your club and/or promotion but if there are mitigating circumstances why a side haven't been given the opportunity to fulfil their fixtures and others are willing that side do not to conclude those fixtures by sticking to a hard cut off point is a tad unfair, then expressing contempt at the cut off point being extended and again not accepting the reasons of why that side couldn't meet their fixture obligations, so the "defence clause" works both ways, and again in my honest and humble opinion to me it devalues what you are trying to achieve which to my mind is getting the best 4 teams from over a season of fixtures into a play off competition. (is that not what the whole season is about?) Finally on this can I add that Rob Godfrey supported the application from certain promotions (plural) to extend the season slightly to give the opportunity for clubs to get these rearranged fixtures in before the new cut off date. So Rob isn't the pantomime villain who some try to paint and what he does is; in general; for the best interest of the spot and I would suggest anyone to talk to him as he is a genuinely nice guy and quite approachable IMHO. Also he listens which is a great attribute.

On the meeting and as a selfish point I was pleased the the tapes played up at the start as we were running late due to an accident and would have missed the first heat but due to the "knicker elastic" playing up we saw the full meeting and once the track dried out from about heat 8 or 9 there were a couple of fantastic races with the outside line working really well and although stating that Klindt hugging the inside line in the first race when the track was still wet (from the heavy showers experienced) wasn't bad either and I still haven't found out what the time was for that heat although from the centre green Rob announced that it had looked quick.

Comets were gating and found that outside run in the drier dirt to their liking and Scunny were having to graft to get the passes in also how close was Kyle Bickley to getting a "big scalp^ and I spoke to Steve Worrall straight after that race and he had a chuckle and said "that was nearly embarrassing" and complimented Kyle's riding and track sense and Steve for one was definitely relieved when he finally got past young Bickley, and what a cracking race heat 15 was; Jensen leading for what seemed 3 and 9/10ths laps and getting caught on the run in for a draw that Scunny didn't really deserve but fair play they got stuck in and got the draw to make the return leg an interesting affair.

I also need to comment on the Keyboard Warrior jibe; Honestly after 12 posts PMSL (once I had read what it meant that is! Doh!)

Oh and when I came in and had a chat to a few friends from Scunny who stand by the tapes and I had asked if they knew some of the Scunny "Keyboard Warriors" so I could be introduced and have a craic unfortunately they didn't know any of the main protagonists so the opportunity to meet up was lost, however in the bar I had a good craic with the three Wolves fans who were on their 102 meeting of the season and still counting. Brilliant... 

Regards
THJ

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

I had a good craic with the three Wolves fans who were on their 102 meeting of the season and still counting. Brilliant... 

Regards
THJ

Think they were at Workington on Saturday ?

11 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Think they were at Workington on Saturday ?

Honestly

You are right and they are coming back before the end of the season which will be there third visit this year and they are off to Eastbourne I think next for another double header....

Regards
THJ

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

You are right and they are coming back before the end of the season which will be there third visit this year and they are off to Eastbourne I think next for another double header....

Regards
THJ

What a great life......idyllic for a speedway fan.....

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 7:25 PM, workyboy said:

Why would we give the lad grief? He's on a learning curve and the promotion have give him a chance to show what he can do. 

over last few weeks you could see his confidence growing, hence his first win in Comets colours and scoring more than his average at home.

Not saying Bickley should be getting grief, just pointing out the difference between Workington's & Scunthorpe's actions!