British Speedway Forum
Tosh1218

Scunthorpe v Workington shield semi finals

23 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

Tony Jackson rang every possible rider who 1. fitted the missing rider's points average limit 2. riders who were not racing that night and appeared to be available and 3.ultimately (and thanks to him) Dale was the only rider who was "available" to (and wanted to) do the meeting. So even on Glasgow's preferred race night Workington still had difficulty in obtaining a rider with Championship credentials to replace a rider (Dan Bewley) when they were allowed a facility. So they went, sucked it up and fulfilled the match .

However when certain other clubs had difficulty in obtaining  guest riders they choose to pull the pre-agreed meeting of three other teams, whose first choice race night wasn't a Friday, to allow these Friday clubs a bigger pool of riders to choose from but this was on their chosen race night. 

Not exactly cricket is it

Regards
THJ

So point out one occasion this season when Scunthorpe have not fulfilled a fixture?

It should also be pointed out that the washed out home fixture for Scunthorpe against Lakeside on May 25 was re-staged on June 22, before Steve Worrall and Stefan Nielsen were fit, which again blows out of the water the claims of the keyboard warriors.

Scunthorpe have simply got on with their meetings, on their designated race-night. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, yellow and black said:

Yeah and to rub salt in the wounds, three of the "Scrapped" fixtures at Home v Peterborough (August 3rd), Newcastle (August 10th), and Lakeside (August 17th) are still to be run when they as per early season agreement could have been done and dusted by now, leaving Workington to complete their League campaign as of now with one home and one away fixture.

Now of course, as it is looking like there will be no date for the Lakeside home meeting before the cut-off, the Comets could be denied a chance of a top 4 place due to that Friday night decision. Additionally Lakeside, another club forced to cancel some Friday night fixtures, are also in the same boat.

you didnt start the season until 14/4   and ran two meetings up to the start of June    you were behind on fixtures from the get go,,,,,,and same as last season,playing catch up

now dont get me wrong,i dont really agrree with the call to pull your fixtures,i think it was unfair,but the blame cannot be soley laid at not being allowed to run on those two or three fridays

2 meetings by 1st june at Derwent Park whereas Scunny ran 5,Sheff ran 6,Redcar 6,Berwick 6,P`Boro 5  there lies the problem  but to add some balance i dont know about Satium availablity during the first 2 months of the season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I dont know the answer but welcome your thoughts 

I welcome your thoughts, & others will chip in too,  & this is an honest question, are you weaker without Bewley or stronger with Aarnio?

Marksman posted this earlier

Tero Aarnio would be a great choice of guest for the Comets for Dan, has already scored 29+2 in 3 meetings at Scunthorpe this season including 15 when guesting for us earlier this season.

The facts are that Aarnio scored 30 +2 in 2 consecutive meetings plus another 9 from 5 including a retirement(puncture) when leading.

Bewley has not raced here in 2018 & only scored 5 from 4 in his only visit previously.

•  
Edited by IronScorpion

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site please? If so,  could you please send me a private message which includes your mobile number. 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

So point out one occasion this season when Scunthorpe have not fulfilled a fixture?

It should also be pointed out that the washed out home fixture for Scunthorpe against Lakeside on May 25 was re-staged on June 22, before Steve Worrall and Stefan Nielsen were fit, which again blows out of the water the claims of the keyboard warriors.

Scunthorpe have simply got on with their meetings, on their designated race-night. 

:rofl: :rofl: pmsl  ....I'll borrow you some polish for the Halo 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, montie said:

you didnt start the season until 14/4   and ran two meetings up to the start of June    you were behind on fixtures from the get go,,,,,,and same as last season,playing catch up

now dont get me wrong,i dont really agrree with the call to pull your fixtures,i think it was unfair,but the blame cannot be soley laid at not being allowed to run on those two or three fridays

2 meetings by 1st june at Derwent Park whereas Scunny ran 5,Sheff ran 6,Redcar 6,Berwick 6,P`Boro 5  there lies the problem  but to add some balance i dont know about Satium availablity during the first 2 months of the season

Prior to the season starting, the August fixtures were agreed in full by both Home and away teams with NO protests from any other club. If objections had arisen, then those fixtures would no doubt have been changed until agreement was reached.  

The decision to be "Behind" on the fixtures as you call it, was made to ensure regular weekly speedway at Derwent Park throughout the summer. Some teams sorted their fixtures earlier than others to suit themselves I presume, whilst Workington had a full fixture list agreed at the start. With the reduced number of Home fixtures each club would arrange their fixtures to suit their own individual needs, as Workington did at the time.

The whole point of the argument is that these fixtures were pulled from the calendar well after they were agreed and arrangements put in place to race them.

If the fixtures had been culled in say March or April, they would have had a "Chance" to do something about it, albeit maybe an impossible one due to stadium or rider availability, although however small, at least a chance. If the fixtures had been culled in say June (When they were still on the Speedway GB fixture list by the way), then they would have needed a time machine to go back and run those meetings in April or May.

If those fixtures had been culled at the start, then I fully agree that arrangements for earlier fixtures could have been made, but to get three months down the line  before it happened means an early season home fixture bonanza in the likes of Scunny, Sheffield, Redcar, Berwick, and Peterborough would have been impossible.

Does anyone actually know when the fixtures were "Officially" pulled? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, yellow and black said:

Prior to the season starting, the August fixtures were agreed in full by both Home and away teams with NO protests from any other club. If objections had arisen, then those fixtures would no doubt have been changed until agreement was reached.  

The decision to be "Behind" on the fixtures as you call it, was made to ensure regular weekly speedway at Derwent Park throughout the summer. Some teams sorted their fixtures earlier than others to suit themselves I presume, whilst Workington had a full fixture list agreed at the start. With the reduced number of Home fixtures each club would arrange their fixtures to suit their own individual needs, as Workington did at the time.

The whole point of the argument is that these fixtures were pulled from the calendar well after they were agreed and arrangements put in place to race them.

If the fixtures had been culled in say March or April, they would have had a "Chance" to do something about it, albeit maybe an impossible one due to stadium or rider availability, although however small, at least a chance. If the fixtures had been culled in say June (When they were still on the Speedway GB fixture list by the way), then they would have needed a time machine to go back and run those meetings in April or May.

If those fixtures had been culled at the start, then I fully agree that arrangements for earlier fixtures could have been made, but to get three months down the line  before it happened means an early season home fixture bonanza in the likes of Scunny, Sheffield, Redcar, Berwick, and Peterborough would have been impossible.

Does anyone actually know when the fixtures were "Officially" pulled? 

although you are correct,Workington actually pulled two home meeting themselves[ which i agree was 100% right thing to do] due to rider availablity,and one/some of the agrred Friday fixtures had riders missing due to other things such as U21`S  SGP quals etc

and it wouldnt have been impossible for the previous mentioned fixture bonanaza as the meetings im speaking of were home fixtures,not affect on the Comets at all

An after playing catch up last year seems no lessons have been learned by anyone

im not sure when they were pulled but looking back it seems late June/early July

39 minutes ago, montie said:

although you are correct,Workington actually pulled two home meeting themselves[ which i agree was 100% right thing to do] due to rider availablity,and one/some of the agrred Friday fixtures had riders missing due to other things such as U21`S  SGP quals etc

and it wouldnt have been impossible for the previous mentioned fixture bonanaza as the meetings im speaking of were home fixtures,not affect on the Comets at all

An after playing catch up last year seems no lessons have been learned by anyone

im not sure when they were pulled but looking back it seems late June/early July

Hang on a minute , the way you lot are bleating on you would think it was only Workington racing next week after the original cut-off date !!!

Glasgow V Edinburgh , Ippo- v Glasgow,  Edinburgh v Berwick,  Lakeside v Glasgow,  Lakeside v Newcastle all racing next week 

Seems there's a lot more teams who couldn't get their fixtures in either :rolleyes:  Our away to Newcastle was re-arranged due to rain , and home to lakeside abandoned due to Dan's injuries so all in all Workington had 1 meeting home to Peterborough we would have struggled to get in before this weekend 

Whats the weather like in Scunny as planning on travelling for this 

also as stated at the time it was rumoured that a scunny official was behind the pulling of 3 tracks fixtures to help his own team out 

it just goes to back that theory up 

fixture list before the season favoured the team/teams who got the others future fixtures rearranged making life difficult for 3 teams 

6 hours ago, montie said:

why did you take Dale Lamb to Glasgow on a Friday earlier in the season? ironic isnt it

because Workington honoured the fixture 

rather than crying out like others have done 

Workington are not afraid to turn up with a weaknd team 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

also as stated at the time it was rumoured that a scunny official was behind the pulling of 3 tracks fixtures to help his own team out 

it just goes to back that theory up 

fixture list before the season favoured the team/teams who got the others future fixtures rearranged making life difficult for 3 teams 

At the start of the season we covered for the loss of Steve, mostly, with r/r as the riders were doing well. It was the loss of Stefan that changed matters & guests became hard to find. Having 4 meetings(in the CL) caused problems in getting guests from the CL & Riders from the PL are the same riders as most double up. The issue was probably brought up at Promoters meeting where the board of 5 members or the full compliment of promoters present would have had a say. It seems only some "keyboard warrior's" have issues through rose tinted glasses. Obviously, the problem was resolved by only allowing the 3 main Friday tracks to race on that night unless 2 tracks were involved in the same fixture allowing 1 other meeting to take place, which has happened recently & Redcar are racing Sheffield tonight.

13 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

because Workington honoured the fixture 

rather than crying out like others have done 

Workington are not afraid to turn up with a weaknd team 

................ and we did you a favour by agreeing to postpone your home fixture when you had 3 riders missing. You were ok to ride on the Friday with riders missing so could have rode on the Saturday aswell. Just seems to be an issue that has been forgotten by some.

• Like 1

Not looking good for Workington to fulfill their home fixture with Lakeside before the cut off date.:oops:

A certain late promoter would not have stood for this fixture debacle.

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 1