British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ZagarRacing

Playoff Semi Finals 2018

Ford is not an idiot.. He wants to win at all costs, but  the track is the worst in the league,  if you go by the quality of the surface.

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

I think the league toppers deserve it. The only sport where you win the league, then its between the top 4 of seven. Bit like the Prem. Top 10 in the play offs with the table toppers having the same chance as the 10th placed team.

It's about the money.     Big attendances.   As was said, no-one would want to finish on top.

Speedway is still a business first, then an entertainment, then a sport.    Always has been.

57 minutes ago, theblueboy said:

That’s a tough one, a professional sport, watched by millions, played on a bowling green of a pitch with a crackling atmosphere or amateur night, run by village idiots on a pot holed track in front of God’s waiting room.

I’ll leave the forum to decide which is the best option...

Not bitter, then?

8 hours ago, Grachan said:

Nobody would want to finish top if that happened. They'd miss out on a big crowd for the semi.

A very true observation...

And also a very sad indictment of the Sport in general...

It wil be interesting to see the crowd at the NSS for the play offs...

Many have said that Mondays and Wednesday are not good night's to have Speedway at Belle Vue yet I have a feeling that Monday September the 24th will find over a thousand or so non regular fans who all of a sudden realise (magically) that they can actually get to the NSS that night...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

As much as I want Lynn to win  I fear most matches will be governed by doctored track to assist the home teams.      With the exception  of NSS, I believe all the other tracks will be prepared generating gate and go  speedway, that we all dislike.  Although it is obvious  why  this practice is used, it does nothing to generate excitement like it use to be.  

The majority of the Stars riders  cope well with a grippy track, but season professionals like Niels and Andersen seem to struggle.  it wasn't until  much later,  when the track became slicker,  did they join in the party.     I just hope it don't ruin  the occasion.... 

42 minutes ago, g13webb said:

As much as I want Lynn to win  I fear most matches will be governed by doctored track to assist the home teams.      With the exception  of NSS, I believe all the other tracks will be prepared generating gate and go  speedway, that we all dislike.  Although it is obvious  why  this practice is used, it does nothing to generate excitement like it use to be.  

The majority of the Stars riders  cope well with a grippy track, but season professionals like Niels and Andersen seem to struggle.  it wasn't until  much later,  when the track became slicker,  did they join in the party.     I just hope it don't ruin  the occasion.... 

Well i did read that the double header against Wolves was  better racing in the second meeting after it had slickened off a bit. So maybe it doesn't need to be that grippy for good racing.

Edited by foreverblue

5 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Well i did Read that the double header against Wolves was  better racing in the second meeting after it had slickened off a bit. So maybe it doesn't need to be that grippy for good racing. 

Not at all, when the track is super grippy, all the riders have equal traction, therefore  producing them gate and go races...     When the track is slicker and riders have to search for the dirt , it makes for more exciting racing..       There are some riders who really relish these grippy tracks. they have the ability to hunt and pounce even in the most tightest of situations, but they are few and far between.   The difference between a grippy and slick track can be as much as 3 seconds faster. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Uluru said:

Not bitter, then?

I have nothing to be bitter about. I attend speedway every week. I paid to watch 4 football matches last season. Speedway is where my loyalty lies.

My observation was aimed at Lisa Colette's statement, which seemed to suggest that Somerset should change the fixture because Bournemouth are likely to be home in the Premier League on the same night as Poole would be. My point was if you were a casual fan of both, which would you want to attend?

I am sure if Matt Ford was in the same boat, and presented with a similar scenario, he would be a very accommodating?

Let's hope Somerset don't win by too many otherwise it could be One Man and his Dog again for the second successive PO semi final...

12 hours ago, ZagarRacing said:

17/9 Somerset v Poole

24/9 Belle Vue v King’s Lynn

01/10 Poole v Somerset

01/10 King’s Lynn v Belle Vue

no Swindon you were so confident :t:

11 hours ago, theblueboy said:

That’s a tough one, a professional sport, watched by millions, played on a bowling green of a pitch with a crackling atmosphere or amateur night, run by village idiots on a pot holed track in front of God’s waiting room.

I’ll leave the forum to decide which is the best option...

football overpaid fairy's prancing around chasing a bag of wind around rubbishe !!

As pleased I was with the win last night and the fact we made the play offs, by far the best thing is we have an extra meeting at this fabulous circuit and it’s on telly too. 

14 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Ford is not an idiot.. He wants to win at all costs, but  the track is the worst in the league,  if you go by the quality of the surface.

The track is one of the best in the league after NSS. Last night the trackman was back from his holidays. Better prep, no hole, passing. And more dirt down.

3 hours ago, theblueboy said:

I have nothing to be bitter about. I attend speedway every week. I paid to watch 4 football matches last season. Speedway is where my loyalty lies.

My observation was aimed at Lisa Colette's statement, which seemed to suggest that Somerset should change the fixture because Bournemouth are likely to be home in the Premier League on the same night as Poole would be. My point was if you were a casual fan of both, which would you want to attend?

You cannot be a casual fan of AFC Bournemouth and attend the match. It’s impossible.

AFC Bournemouth run a loyalty system. Those that attend every match can go to the next one. Every match is sold out. If you see empty seats, they are sold. Its just that the fan hasn’t turned up but purchased the seat so they can go to the next one, which might be Liverpool. If they don’t do this they don’t get the chance for tickets. As the stadium only holds 12,000 the tickets are massively in demand.

There are probably 100 or so Poole fans who go to AFC Bournemouth every match. 

15 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Somerset should have the second leg at their place. Crowd will be affected at Poole with Bournemouth vs Palace on the same night!

Yes, I thought they would have picked the second leg as they finished above Poole in the table, they would know what they have to beat then, very odd

2 hours ago, Buttons said:

Yes, I thought they would have picked the second leg as they finished above Poole in the table, they would know what they have to beat then, very odd

Obviously they are hoping for big lead to take to Poole for the second leg