British Speedway Forum
cyclone

Edinburgh vs Lakeside SGB Championship 7th September, 2018, 7.30pm

59 minutes ago, george.m said:

Harkess pre-meeting EMTV interview on FB "they're probably used to a slicker track than what they're gonny get tonight".

Backfired.

Were you not there then George.

And it's been grippy for weeks - apart from the Sheffield match.

1 hour ago, george.m said:

Harkess pre-meeting EMTV interview on FB "they're probably used to a slicker track than what they're gonny get tonight".

Backfired.

It was ridiculous tonight. Total non event with only Worrall looking at ease in the first half of the meeting. Others losing control, rearing, crashing or simply coasting around, including Richard Lawson and Nick Morris. 

Erik Riss said on the mic it was very dangerous due to being too grippy - even for him - and the net result was two Edinburgh riders withdrawn. When you pay £18.50 to watch that utter crap it sticks in the throat. Zero entertainment as a speedway meeting. And I say that as a Monarchs fan of 42 years.

Think we could be struggling to make play offs if Joel and Victor are ruled out. Don’t see us getting anything at Glasgow. If it is r/r for Victor, we can you Richie and Josh. Weak tail end if Joel missing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stewmac said:

It was ridiculous tonight. Total non event with only Worrall looking at ease in the first half of the meeting. Others losing control, rearing, crashing or simply coasting around, including Richard Lawson and Nick Morris. 

Erik Riss said on the mic it was very dangerous due to being too grippy - even for him - and the net result was two Edinburgh riders withdrawn. When you pay £18.50 to watch that utter crap it sticks in the throat. Zero entertainment as a speedway meeting. And I say that as a Monarchs fan of 42 years.

This believe it is a comment from an Edinburgh supporter. Looks like Edinburgh wanted to win at all costs.     Shocking  statement from a home fan .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

This believe it is a comment from an Edinburgh supporter. Looks like Edinburgh wanted to win at all costs.     Shocking  statement from a home fan .

Stewmac should be thanked for his honesty. Win at all costs may have cost them 2 injuries, with Andersson problematic as a 4 pointer to find a guest replacement for, as we already know.

• Like 2

Looking forward to reading the spin the Monarchs' PR put on this one. No doubt the usual whitewash.

I know the boys want it grippy but was a bit too grippy tonight was hard to race on so gating was very very important tonight. 

Special mention to Lawson tonight done a cracking job tonight especially with Joel being ruled out after heat 2. Was even out after the meeting for a spin after having 7 rides.

36 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

Oh dear, the track staff made a mistake and made it too grippy get over yourself with your win at all costs nonsense. 

And it's this win at all costs that does speedway no favours. Hope both Victor and Joel are ok. But how can you compare tonight with the excellent matches at Glasgow on Tuesday and belle vue on Wednesday. 

Track has been excellent the last 4 weeks, they made a mistake tonight and it was too grippy it wasn’t intentionally made to be like that but it makes a good story for the Edinburgh up to no good and win at all cost attitude brigade.

2 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Oh dear, the track staff made a mistake and made it too grippy get over yourself with your win at all costs nonsense. 

I have to say although I wasn't there I really wouldn't know how badly the track was (doctored) but when 1 of your own supporters Stewmac makes a statement like that you have to wonder just what is going on and as your management already made a statement pre meeting suggesting they were going to shock  Lakeside with an extra grippy track . You can hardly call that a trackstaff  mistake  can you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, New era Panthers said:

Fair play to him though saying how it is rather than the everything is rosy in the garden crew.

• Like 1

Joshie pickering is quoted in the paper as saying the track was great. 

3 hours ago, george.m said:

Looking forward to reading the spin the Monarchs' PR put on this one. No doubt the usual whitewash.

Perhaps you should have waited until the match report was published on the website before making the above comment.

FYI here is the relevant quote:-

"The track was undoubtedly tricky though and several riders had difficulties, not just the visitors. The home riders like grippy conditions but the difficult thing is getting the balance right to still allow good racing." 

However as you regularly appear to display traits of paranoia towards any Monarchs' PR, no doubt you will find fault the above statement.

Unlike your good self, I was actually at the meeting, and apart from Pickering & Worrall, in the first half of the match, the other eleven riders did struggle with what appeared to be too much grip.

As the grip slackened off later on, Richard Lawson mastered the conditions and only dropped one point in his last three rides.

Overall a poor spectacle and not up to the standard of good racing in previous weeks, despite the scorelines.

If the track was as bad as people are saying I will take back what I said. Pottinger said he’s just glad all 7 riders made it through the meeting and Ellis said the track was shocking and all the riders struggled to turn. Sounds like a total waste of fans money and this was a case of people finding out the facts before having a pop at riders myself included. I hope the injured riders are ok.

Edited by liam
  • Like 2