British Speedway Forum
cyclone

Edinburgh vs Lakeside SGB Championship 7th September, 2018, 7.30pm

7 hours ago, TheScotsman said:

Joshie pickering is quoted in the paper as saying the track was great. 

Yes, I read that too. He's known for his witty and sarcastic quips so I really wonder if he said that tongue in cheek. In 42 years of following speedway weekly all I am saying is this. I think I can say what constitutes a good meeting. I pay my money and expect to watch 4 riders in each race giving it their all. Last night, for the first half of the meeting that was impossible for almost all the riders, and even for the rest of the meeting, several, including both the home captain, Riss, as well as the home number one, Wells, looked like they were being distinctly tentative, and for me there was zero entertainment.

That's not speedway. That's farcical. It won't attract any new fans. And when even some of your own team end up injured as a result of this "mistake" as Blobby calls it, then it's high time to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. 

• Like 3

It sounds like the home promotion have done their best to drive another nail in the coffin of our sport. Preparing a track that has been slaughtered by riders from both teams and home supporters and has that has provided tentative approach from riders according to those that were there. Oh, and 2 home riders picked up injuries as a result. But at least the home team won eh Mr Promoter. 

You really could not make it up......

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, stewmac said:

Yes, I read that too. He's known for his witty and sarcastic quips so I really wonder if he said that tongue in cheek. In 42 years of following speedway weekly all I am saying is this. I think I can say what constitutes a good meeting. I pay my money and expect to watch 4 riders in each race giving it their all. Last night, for the first half of the meeting that was impossible for almost all the riders, and even for the rest of the meeting, several, including both the home captain, Riss, as well as the home number one, Wells, looked like they were being distinctly tentative, and for me there was zero entertainment.

That's not speedway. That's farcical. It won't attract any new fans. And when even some of your own team end up injured as a result of this "mistake" as Blobby calls it, then it's high time to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. 

You were there Stew so I totally accept your assessment. 

I wasn't, as obviously wasn't George. 

I take your point about Josh - humour doesn't always show up well in print. 

• Like 1

If it was as described Lakeside should have asked for a track inspection and demanded remedial work be undertaken.

• Like 1

I don’t think the track preparation was a mistake as Alex Harkess says in the pre meeting video the track was prepared grippy maybe he should have explained this to his own riders 

Doesn't sound like the Edinburgh promotion come out of this too well - just glad our six guys 'escaped' with their health intact.

If it was as bad as painted (and Adam Ellis is on record as saying it 'wasn't speedway') - then you have to feel for those that paid to watch two very capable teams serve up such an unedifying spectacle.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, marko said:

The sport will never move forward in this country whilst the majority if not all the promoters are set fast on trying to screw all the other clubs.

They are killing their own future and they just fail to see it.

That is so and hard to believe. But week after week and season after season Promoters seem determined to kill off the sport. Do they want to run matches with no paying customers do you think - it looks like that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

That is so and hard to believe. But week after week and season after season Promoters seem determined to kill off the sport. Do they want to run matches with no paying customers do you think - it looks like that.

If, as Edinburgh claim, their crowds are up - why take the risk of preparing a track that doesn't provide entertainment and peeing off paying customers?

Why would we deliberately set up a dangerously grippy track where a higher risk of injury could occur. For not just away riders but our own.

As I said earlier the track has been grippy the last 4 weeks at the riders request but a raceable grippy, tonight they had over done it not deliberately as some would suggest or like to assume cause it suits there agendas better. I’m sure normal services will be resumed next week. 

2 hours ago, JanAnderson said:

Another of the pretenders to the title dealt with. The march to the title continues. 

Oh dear really sums up the armadale mentality. 2 riders injured, no entertainment, riders, home fans and others condemn the track but it doesn't matter we won 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SharpenRake said:

Oh dear really sums up the armadale mentality. 2 riders injured, no entertainment, riders, home fans and others condemn the track but it doesn't matter we won 

Pretty much sums it up, win at all costs mentality has always been there remit.

Nothing at all wrong with that but what line do you cross that it then becomes wrong , appears from what has been said they crossed it lsst night.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Why would we deliberately set up a dangerously grippy track where a higher risk of injury could occur. For not just away riders but our own.

As I said earlier the track has been grippy the last 4 weeks at the riders request but a raceable grippy, tonight they had over done it not deliberately as some would suggest or like to assume cause it suits there agendas better. I’m sure normal services will be resumed next week. 

So if not deliberate, then incompetent. 

• Like 1