British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mickthemuppet

I would think that last night's heat 13 in the best I have ever seen in Speedway

Hats off to Max Fricke, Colin Cook , Jason Doyle and Jack Holder and also the track curator Has there ever been a race without a crash that all four riders have led at anyone time.

Any other races to rival this  

• Like 2

Brilliant race yes, certainly the best I've seen for ages. Congrats to all four riders and track staff.

An old chestnut, but I still can remember the great Collins / Michanek race off in 1973 at Hyde Road and I always regarded that as the best ever.

12 minutes ago, Garry1603 said:

Brilliant race yes, certainly the best I've seen for ages. Congrats to all four riders and track staff.

An old chestnut, but I still can remember the great Collins / Michanek race off in 1973 at Hyde Road and I always regarded that as the best ever.

Me too Garry, that run off between PC & Michanek was the best I ever saw, the lead was exchanged on every bend for the whole 4 laps, pure theatre it was.  Last night's race was excellent though, all 4 riders going at it for the whole 4 laps, you cannot ask for any more than that.

6 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

Hats off to Max Fricke, Colin Cook , Jason Doyle and Jack Holder and also the track curator Has there ever been a race without a crash that all four riders have led at anyone time.

Any other races to rival this  

Colin Cook?  :shock: Happy memories of one of my favourite Leicester riders. :) Agree about the race though ~ brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As I've posted elsewhere that was one of those races I'll remember for the rest of my life, I was fortunate enough to have been there to watch it live too, others that I was there for and always remember: Erik Gundersen world final 1985, Penhall Olsen 1981 and I also vividly remember Per Jonsson bursting between 2 riders at Odsal back in the late 80's/early 90's, not particularly a great race but Trick's wall of death!

The one that sticks out for me that I wasn't there for Gollob Jimmy Nilsen

Edited by iainb

The best racetrack produces one of the best races. That is why I still love speedway racing.

Thank you, Chris Morton and Dave Gordon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, moxey63 said:

Thank you, Chris Morton and Dave Gordon.

For me this cannot be said enough. 

If British Speedway survives then those 2 should be regarded as the saviours.  They've shown everyone what a proper Speedway track looks like.
The BSPA should now go off and do the right thing and get a few more tracks the same as BV.

And yes, that Heat 13 is truly one of the best I've races I've seen in 30+ years watching the sport.  Massive credit to all the riders.  I think Fricke especially will be something special.

• Like 1

I somehow missed the match, was at folks' place so could easily have watched (aarrgghh!!).  But Ht13 was out of the top draw, if every race, and racetrack was like that, stadia in the UK wouldn't be big enough.  That heat alone shows why we all follow speedway, still a brilliant sport.  Mostly.  Know what, gonna watch it again :party:....

Great race and great race track...but the fans still are not flocking back to watch at belle vue...so just shows me that speedway as  we know it will  soon be a thing of the past.

12 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Great race and great race track...but the fans still are not flocking back to watch at belle vue...so just shows me that speedway as  we know it will  soon be a thing of the past.

Little pessimistic. The attendance wasn't good but Belle Vue, like others, have been badly affected by the move to FRN. Mondays and Wednesdays simply don't attract the same number of people as Fridays. For myself, I would have bought a season ticket had they stayed on Friday, as it is I have been an occasional visitor only (fortunately Wednesday was one of them :D)

This match was also out of school holidays and on the television. 

What is of relevance is that when the Aces changed stadiums by most accounts gates more than doubled. 

The really interesting thing about that truly stunning race is without the play off system - and Belle Vue's need to get a result on Wednesday - its entirely possible it wouldn't have happened.

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Little pessimistic. The attendance wasn't good but Belle Vue, like others, have been badly affected by the move to FRN. Mondays and Wednesdays simply don't attract the same number of people as Fridays. For myself, I would have bought a season ticket had they stayed on Friday, as it is I have been an occasional visitor only (fortunately Wednesday was one of them :D)

This match was also out of school holidays and on the television. 

What is of relevance is that when the Aces changed stadiums by most accounts gates more than doubled. 

The really interesting thing about that truly stunning race is without the play off system - and Belle Vue's need to get a result on Wednesday - its entirely possible it wouldn't have happened.

Agree with you Halifaxtiger.  Last year we saw attendances steadily build but Mondays just don't work for many.  I'd imagine the promotion will be doing everything to get back to Fridays in 2019 and with Friday nights, a track as good as the NSS and, don't forget, the team that prepare it so well, attendances will be on the upturn again.  As a season ticket holder for the last two years, I'd really welcome you joining us.  

Incidentally, one of the benefits of being a season ticket holder this year has been a pre-meeting visit to the pits and the opportunity to watch three heats for the centre green.  A really wonderful experience and so much credit to Andy Mellish and his wife for conducting the tours, explaining the whole pre-meeting procedure and answering countless questions.  He has been so good in this role; intelligent, respectful and really interesting insights to what is going on.  

Hats of to Adrian Smith and his team for introducing such innovations, in the many, many years of watching speedway, I can't remember too many more professional approaches to promoting the sport.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, coldace said:

Agree with you Halifaxtiger.  Last year we saw attendances steadily build but Mondays just don't work for many.  I'd imagine the promotion will be doing everything to get back to Fridays in 2019 and with Friday nights, a track as good as the NSS and, don't forget, the team that prepare it so well, attendances will be on the upturn again.  As a season ticket holder for the last two years, I'd really welcome you joining us.  

Incidentally, one of the benefits of being a season ticket holder this year has been a pre-meeting visit to the pits and the opportunity to watch three heats for the centre green.  A really wonderful experience and so much credit to Andy Mellish and his wife for conducting the tours, explaining the whole pre-meeting procedure and answering countless questions.  He has been so good in this role; intelligent, respectful and really interesting insights to what is going on.  

Hats of to Adrian Smith and his team for introducing such innovations, in the many, many years of watching speedway, I can't remember too many more professional approaches to promoting the sport.

Fingers crossed :approve:

Just one thing. I know a track where to get a pits visit and a go on the centre green you don't have to pay, be a season ticket holder or even a home fan :o

Isle of Wight.

They really do set the standard for promotion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2018 at 2:44 PM, Halifaxtiger said:

Fingers crossed :approve:

Just one thing. I know a track where to get a pits visit and a go on the centre green you don't have to pay, be a season ticket holder or even a home fan :o

Isle of Wight.

They really do set the standard for promotion. 

Shame their track is pants and needs improvement.

• Confused 2