British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Orbiter

Oxford Speedway

Is there still anyone pressing for Speedway back at Oxford I remember reading something but not heard nothing since?

I'd be keen to know of any developments because the last time I took a look  at Cowley Stadium it was looking very run down and would take a small fortune to turn it round.

23 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I'd be keen to know of any developments because the last time I took a look  at Cowley Stadium it was looking very run down and would take a small fortune to turn it round.

So the outlay is still there track stands etc??

33 minutes ago, Orbiter said:

So the outlay is still there track stands etc??

Yes the main stand is still in place (I think that it may still be used by a going concerned...or indeed part of it) but the surrounding areas including the terracing and other buildings/pits etc looked to be in a very sorry mess.

Question is whether any prospective promoter and/or owner sees it as a viable concern and worth spending hard cash bringing it back up to an acceptable standard. Probably the best compromise would just to open the home straight and possibly the third and fourth bend terracing and fence off the rest.

Sorry state of affairs all round considering it was one of the better stadiums not that long ago.

The cost in purchasing the stadium, and the renovation works to bring it up to scratch, would cost a small fortune. Who would commit such a financial outlay for two sports in terminal decline.

• Like 1

On 6 September 2018 at 5:57 PM, Orbiter said:

Is there still anyone pressing for Speedway back at Oxford I remember reading something but not heard nothing since?

see the above thread

20 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

I love the bit in the article where it says Mr Budimir once part owned a greyhound with Harry Redknapp. 

I wonder if that's the dog that had its own bank account?

• Haha 2

Nik Budimir has been involved in this behind the scenes for several years. He has had several businesses in the Poole/Bournemouth area over the years as well as elsewhere. He has many contacts in the Leisure and property development areas.

I believe he helped sponsor Antonio Lindback when he first came over to ride for Poole.

He could just buy Poole then and run the sport

Has any progress been made since we entered 2019 in regard to Cowley Stadium and a possible Oxford speedway return. How long is it now since the place closed? At least six years - at a guess?

There's an article about Dag Lovaas' recent visit to Cowley in the latest 'Backtrack' magazine and the pictures show Cowley to be in quite a desperate state. I last callled in last year and the stadium was in a bad way...it will require someone with no little money to turn the place around and in the current climate I just can't see that as a possibilty sad to say.