British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Orbiter

Oxford Speedway

55 minutes ago, gustix said:

Has any progress been made since we entered 2019 in regard to Cowley Stadium and a possible Oxford speedway return. How long is it now since the place closed? At least six years - at a guess?

Put your fireworks away everyone, you're about to get pizzed on.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Put your fireworks away everyone, you're about to get pizzed on.

Sadly, it all looks negative at the moment. I used to visit Oxford on a regular basis in the late 1950s and early 1960s, then again at the start of the 1970s. I travelled all the way by train from London to Oxford, then bus to the stadium. I will keep viewing on this thread from time-to-time hoping to see something positive in regard to the sport's return.

Edited by Guest

The reality is who in their right mind would want to invest thousands of pounds into a business that is probably not going to make any profit? It would be risky enough buying an existing team/promotion but having to start from scratch with having to pay for a new track to be laid and renovating a stadium that has not been used for years is financial suicide especially when the future of Speedway in this country as we know it is starting to decline before our very eyes. I've seen a similar thread on here about the future of Coventry stadium. One must admire the enthusiasm of these people but I'm sorry to say it is just fantasy. Unless you have got endless pockets of cash to spare why would you take such a huge risk? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Never going to happen. Another club consigned to the history books.

Sadly I think that you are correct despite all the good intentions and that pains me having been a regular at Cowley for 30 plus years and my father from 1949.

I only went to Oxford once...Oxford v West Ham, 1967 I think. Reeves father and son in the Oxford side. I can;t recall another father/son  partnership.

44 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

I only went to Oxford once...Oxford v West Ham, 1967 I think. Reeves father and son in the Oxford side. I can;t recall another father/son  partnership.

Not sure if Reg ever rode for 'The Cheetahs'? I recall that they both rode at New Cross some years earlier?

22 hours ago, steve roberts said:

There's an article about Dag Lovaas' recent visit to Cowley in the latest 'Backtrack' magazine and the pictures show Cowley to be in quite a desperate state. I last callled in last year and the stadium was in a bad way...it will require someone with no little money to turn the place around and in the current climate I just can't see that as a possibilty sad to say.

Steve, I reckon a lot of it is cosmetic. The track needs a few grasstrack bikes going around on it to rip up the weeds, and the terracing could be sorted by a gang of fans.  The only areas where a lot of cash might be required are the complex interior (which would be preferable, but not essential, in terms of speedway) and the speedway pits, which are a bit dilapidated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lucifer sam said:

Steve, I reckon a lot of it is cosmetic. The track needs a few grasstrack bikes going around on it to rip up the weeds, and the terracing could be sorted by a gang of fans.  The only areas where a lot of cash might be required are the complex interior (which would be preferable, but not essential, in terms of speedway) and the speedway pits, which are a bit dilapidated.

Thanks for that Rob! You would have met my uncle, Keith Lawson, at Dag's recent reunion.

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Thanks for that Rob! You would have met my uncle, Keith Lawson, at Dag's recent reunion.

Yes, he's a nice chap and a great photographer.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

I wenty to Oxfford loads of times . dont rememebr ever going in the "Complex "   so it's definitlely not essential as long as theres access to the toilets

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Not sure if Reg ever rode for 'The Cheetahs'? I recall that they both rode at New Cross some years earlier?

My mistake...I was certain though. Can't trust my memory these days.

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Yep, saw them at New Cross in 1963 and Jimmy Squib was also riding. 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Yes much of his cine film has been captured on various DVD's under the Retro label...I'm hoping that a 'Memories of Oxford Speedway' DVD will be released in the near future?