British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Somerset v Poole. Playoff Semi Final 1st Leg. 17/9/18

So Gary May decided to take the first leg in the hope that Somerset will build a big enough lead to make the second leg at Wimborne Road two weeks later nothing more than a formality.

Somerset are clear favourites for once. We don’t go very well around the Oak Tree, and they go very well around our place. Heats 13 and 15 are a virtually nailed on 8 point swing in both meetings.

However, I am not giving up all hope. If, and it’s a big if, all the boys click together we can cause a shock and knock them out. Brady Kurtz and Josh Graczjonek both need to up their games and Richie Worrall needs to have a good meeting there, something I have yet to see. Chris Harris struggled badly on his last two visits. Again he needs to pull back the years.

The rebels are odds on to progress to the final but at least this time around we will be aware the track is likely to only have one line.

Expecting 52-38 which will be too much to pull back. But you never know. Middlo, with more league titles than the rest put together and possibly the best manager the sport has seen for decades, will have the boys fired up. Will it be enough? We will know soon enough.

If Poole get past the Rebels, and it will be close over 2 legs, I think they will win it.

10 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

If Poole get past the Rebels, and it will be close over 2 legs, I think they will win it.

Yes, I'd agree with that. I think we would do better against KL and BV. 

I am not sure about Middlo being the best manager, Steve. He's made some iffy decisions lately!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lisa-colette said:

Yes, I'd agree with that. I think we would do better against KL and BV. 

I am not sure about Middlo being the best manager, Steve. He's made some iffy decisions lately!

All managers make the odd blooper. But how many titles has he won? Almost lost count.

21 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

All managers make the odd blooper. But how many titles has he won? Almost lost count.

Well if he had something to do with having his key riders drop their GSA's for 2019 but at the same time make it into the play offs, then he has done a good job imo. Also considering that at one stage many of us were saying we wouldn't make the play offs.

As a duo Matt and Middlo have done a good job over the years. Always on the face of it a good team (ok yes some have under performed last 2/3 seasons). But the reason Poole have always been so well supported is for the very reason they have worked as a successful partnership as Promoter/Team Manager.

Those at the top will always be the first to be shot at when you have not scaled the giddy heights of 2013/14/15 and earlier years. We did make the play offs in 2016/17 but fell a bit short. Despite the problems of 2018 they are again in the play offs (and still in with a chance) so pretty good overall.

Think the question Poole fans should be asking is the team good enough this season, indivually ? If the answer is yes then where has it gone wrong in only finishing 4th.  Could it be that all is not well in the Poole camp.  Certainly a season of underachieving thus far. 

9 minutes ago, ZagarRacing said:

Rebels 58-32 Pirates

Tie Over

That certainly will not be the score I think we will easily score over forty keeping the tie wide open 

I guarantee there won’t be one racing line. It just isn’t like that at Somerset, and if they even considered doing such a thing, it would only be detrimental to the Rebels. 

Somerset riders want all racing lines available. Allen BWD and Holder prefer the outside line, Lawson, Summers and Doyle the inside. Trust me Shov, if there are multiple racing lines, we are in for an absolute cracker of a meeting. Don’t fall for the Garry May tongue in cheek “ we doctored the track” rubbish. You are the king of the wind up, surely you didn’t fall for Mr May’s wind up on TV?

• Like 1

Poole have massively under achieved this season 

Red hot favourites before a wheel was turned and the usual Poole suspects telling us all that the other teams may as well not turn up.

13 riders used and still can’t get the right line up to trouble the top teams 

As the league has been watered down and seen Poole not able to splash the cash and make everyone assets that the Pirates have struggled. 

Middlo now is getting found out as a manager now he hasn’t got the likes of Holder (at his prime) Ward and Janowski riding for the club and he and Ford having to put make shift sides out and it’s just not working out. Think my mum could have led Poole to the titles with those riders! Maybe one day Poole could get Rosco or now even Garry May , managers who can win titles with far less resources and have better tactical acumen.

Anyway I would expect Somerset to take care of Poole over 2 legs and then this would have to go down as one of the most disappointing seasons in Pooles history. With Matt Ford wanting out now that he can’t buy the league surely it’s time Middlo did an Arsene Wenger and leave gracefully 

9 minutes ago, EnglishRoundabout said:

I guarantee there won’t be one racing line. It just isn’t like that at Somerset, and if they even considered doing such a thing, it would only be detrimental to the Rebels. 

Somerset riders want all racing lines available. Allen BWD and Holder prefer the outside line, Lawson, Summers and Doyle the inside. Trust me Shov, if there are multiple racing lines, we are in for an absolute cracker of a meeting. Don’t fall for the Garry May tongue in cheek “ we doctored the track” rubbish. You are the king of the wind up, surely you didn’t fall for Mr May’s wind up on TV?

No I was there to witness the track at first hand in the B fixture. It was televised so anyone watching on BT saw what the track was like. Leave the curb and go backwards. They also did it against Kings Lynn. Nicolai posted on twitter asking what the hell have Somerset done to their great race track?

Edited by Steve Shovlar

So Somerset doctored the track to make one inside line

Now Poole fans think they will do it again lol. Let’s hope the Poole management and riders are not thick enough to believe that. 

If they do the Poole boys will all be set up for the inside to work and Somerset will have altered it completely and how daft would Poole look

8 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Poole have massively under achieved this season 

Red hot favourites before a wheel was turned and the usual Poole suspects telling us all that the other teams may as well not turn up.

13 riders used and still can’t get the right line up to trouble the top teams 

As the league has been watered down and seen Poole not able to splash the cash and make everyone assets that the Pirates have struggled. 

Middlo now is getting found out as a manager now he hasn’t got the likes of Holder (at his prime) Ward and Janowski riding for the club and he and Ford having to put make shift sides out and it’s just not working out. Think my mum could have led Poole to the titles with those riders! Maybe one day Poole could get Rosco or now even Garry May , managers who can win titles with far less resources and have better tactical acumen.

Anyway I would expect Somerset to take care of Poole over 2 legs and then this would have to go down as one of the most disappointing seasons in Pooles history. With Matt Ford wanting out now that he can’t buy the league surely it’s time Middlo did an Arsene Wenger and leave gracefully 

Wouldn't imagine there is anyone that would buy the club now with that state of British Speedway besides what is it worth they rent the stadium the asset base is not worth the paper or text message its written on, should of got out well the going was good!

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No I was there to witness the track at first hand in the B fixture. It was televised so anyone watching on BT saw what the track was like. Leave the curb and go backwards. They also did it against Kings Lynn. Nicolai posted on twitter asking what the hell have Somerset done to their great race track?

Kerb, Shoveller - cart dealer's blooper!