British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Somerset v Poole. Playoff Semi Final 1st Leg. 17/9/18

I reckon there is few Poole fans who went to this, ain't got home yet. I think we have a few :party: to come . Good job done..

Edited by Bald Bloke

Lol all the Poole fans asking where I am well I take my daughter training on Mondays so just watched the recording. 

Poole rode well and deserved their result but it isn’t over yet though surely Poole can’t throw it away 

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I'll go 12 points win.        Good call by Somerset to ride the first leg at home.    get a big lead.

Well that worked out well, didn't it?! Although Somerset have nearly won at Poole this season, so a 2 point lead may be enough.

Good meeting tonight at the OTA with Pirates quicker gating skills keeping them close. I still reckon the Rebels will sneak this as in three meetings this year at Wimborne Road I think we have won one and only lost the others in last heat deciders (including Doyley's trip down the pot hole!).

I think some Poole fans around us were in a state of shock at seeing some proper racing. They cheered when they didn't get 5-1'd in heat one. A few races later they were shouting for Klindt who wasn't even in that race and apparently they believed there was no outside line tonight!! Certainly watching a different meeting to me.

Must be something in the water down there though as later Brady said on the mic he felt the inside of the track was bordering on dangerous. I'm sure he has ridden at Poole all season and must have seen that pot hole on bend one? Now that is dangerous!

For the Rebels Doyley was superb and Jack worked so so hard for little reward. He deserved more than 7! The rest all rode hard although Rich seemed to lack speed and possibly had bike issues. 

First meeting I have been to in a long while that had not one single re-run or any programme changes  all night. Must be a record!

14 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Lol all the Poole fans asking where I am well I take my daughter training on Mondays so just watched the recording. 

Poole rode well and deserved their result but it isn’t over yet though surely Poole can’t throw it away 

Oh I don't know! Wouldn't put it past them.

3 minutes ago, drew2 said:

Good meeting tonight at the OTA with Pirates quicker gating skills keeping them close. I still reckon the Rebels will sneak this as in three meetings this year at Wimborne Road I think we have won one and only lost the others in last heat deciders (including Doyley's trip down the pot hole!).

I think some Poole fans around us were in a state of shock at seeing some proper racing. They cheered when they didn't get 5-1'd in heat one. A few races later they were shouting for Klindt who wasn't even in that race and apparently they believed there was no outside line tonight!! Certainly watching a different meeting to me.

Must be something in the water down there though as later Brady said on the mic he felt the inside of the track was bordering on dangerous. I'm sure he has ridden at Poole all season and must have seen that pot hole on bend one? Now that is dangerous!

For the Rebels Doyley was superb and Jack worked so so hard for little reward. He deserved more than 7! The rest all rode hard although Rich seemed to lack speed and possibly had bike issues. 

First meeting I have been to in a long while that had not one single re-run or any programme changes  all night. Must be a record!

Also didn't Klindt say Somerset was his favourite track but isn't anymore? Why is it so different now to when they were in the league below?

If I were Poole I would be cautious. Garry May is a shrewd guy. Remember he’s done a number on Poole twice already. Both legal but well thought out. Once with the Vissing absence then on August Bank Holiday when he improved his reserves. New averages will also be in force for the second leg so plenty of twists in this one for us to mull over.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Also didn't Klindt say Somerset was his favourite track but isn't anymore? Why is it so different now to when they were in the league below?

He has never been great round there as far as I can remember anyway. When his team gets beat everytime then I can understand why his liking for the place has faded. Shale issues at the start of the year were the problem but it is getting there and still better than most even when it isn't great.

53 minutes ago, drew2 said:

Holder didn't deserve more than 7 he was poor all night by his standards. Klindt was terrific as he has been in most of the meetings for Poole this season. All the Pirates played their part and Middlo must take some credit for the performance, Worrall unlucky with a puncture, Brady, Josh and Fred all rode well, they certainly put the effort in and i think the change of Josh moving to 3 helped. As for the track well it produced some good racing tonight, i think the inside was best early on then it seemed the outside was working better but towards the end of the meeting it seemed the outside didn't work so well.

Edited by foreverblue

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Your always quick to cal Shovlar out though !!!

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

Always the cautious serpent aren't you Gavan protecting your own words....It's not for anyone to throw it away. Was a tough meeting and the second leg will be as tough. 

I'd imagine ALL Poole fans/management were surprised at this result. So did Somerset throw it away? No. It was a close tough meeting and this league this season has been close for all bar Leicester (don't know what went wrong for them).

ps. Steve Shovlar has had a short ban thanks to ?????.  He asked me to pass on my love to you all. X 

Edited by NOBODY
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Holder didn't deserve more than 7 he was poor all night by his standards. Klindt was terrific as he has been in most of the meetings for Poole this season. All the Pirates played their part and Middlo must take some credit for the performance, Worrall unlucky with a puncture, Brady, Josh and Fred all rode well, they certainly put the effort in and i think the change of Josh moving to 3 helped. As for the track well it produced some good racing tonight, i think the inside was best early on then it seemed the outside was working better but towards the end of the meeting it seemed the outside didn't work so well.

Come on Blue     Holder rode his nuts off for seven points he really put his neck on the line at times just one of those nights for him on another night he would of scored 12.The  same with Wilson Dean god 100 per cent commitment busted a gut at times that is all anyone can ask.A great performance by Poole but this tie is not over yet Somerset need Lawson to be on it again to have any chance in the second leg  Doyley tonight two outstanding passes breathtaking.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

With Belle Vue depleted Kings Lynn struggling past a depleted Swindon last night and NKI in no sort of form, this must make Poole odds on to lift the play off title.  Surely even the Kings of choking can’t mess this one up, can they ? 

Middlo punching the air says to me he thinks it’s all over.

Edited by semion

A picture of Muddlo punching the air should go on the wall of Somerset’s changing room for the second leg, all the team talk and motivation they should need seeing him celebrating Poole going through already in his mind.