British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Shovlar

Somerset v Poole. Playoff Semi Final 1st Leg. 17/9/18

5 hours ago, NOBODY said:

Always the cautious serpent aren't you Gavan protecting your own words....It's not for anyone to throw it away. Was a tough meeting and the second leg will be as tough. 

I'd imagine ALL Poole fans/management were surprised at this result. So did Somerset throw it away? No. It was a close tough meeting and this league this season has been close for all bar Leicester (don't know what went wrong for them).

ps. Steve Shovlar has had a short ban thanks to ?????.  He asked me to pass on my love to you all. X 

What are you going on about?

Said Poole deserved their result and then said they shouldn’t throw it away now?

Plus if you are insinuating that I got him banned think again. Yes the man is a troll who inflames people with his posts , but I’m 42 not 12 and never seen the need to report anyone and being 100% honest Shovlar hasn’t used derogatory word against me anyway. If he has used words the mods ban you without anyone reporting you, I’ve called people numpty and been banned

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

A picture of Muddlo punching the air should go on the wall of Somerset’s changing room for the second leg, all the team talk and motivation they should need seeing him celebrating Poole going through already in his mind.

A fist pump on a job well done last night nothing more nothing less

I thought you was better than that

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dorset delight said:

A fist pump on a job well done last night nothing more nothing less

I thought you was better than that

Better than what? I said something similar about Gary May’s ‘smash them’ comments last week which I’m sure helped motivate Poole’s riders last night. Even Nigel Pearson commented that the fist pump didn’t seem an appropriate reaction after Poole had lost the meeting.

Just think sometimes that team managers do their riders few favours. Happens in football too although they are interviewed ad nauseum so they are inevitably going to trip up at some point. Middlo clearly thinks Poole will go through but he would have been better keeping that to himself.

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Come on Blue     Holder rode his nuts off for seven points he really put his neck on the line at times just one of those nights for him on another night he would of scored 12.The  same with Wilson Dean god 100 per cent commitment busted a gut at times that is all anyone can ask.A great performance by Poole but this tie is not over yet Somerset need Lawson to be on it again to have any chance in the second leg  Doyley tonight two outstanding passes breathtaking.

All our riders busted a gut too, they fought with all they had, Freddie's heat win showed the desire after a couple of lasts, BWD was good in heat one but Doyle couldn't pass as there was only one line at that stage, he tried hard after that as all their riders did  but it seemed to me Middlo had our riders so pumped failure wasn't an option. May talked of a big lead and it seemed some riders maybe took their eye off the ball, Lawson was dire and he's had a terrific season, neither reserve did much after heat 2,Allen got 16 against Belle Vue and Summers got 18 at Workington they are riders in form and we made them look ordinarybut if anyone is under the misconception we are already in the final think again, this isn't over by a long chalk. We have to be right on it again at home, nothing can be taken for granted, Somerset have been terrific at Wimborne Road this season and can get the result they need if we don't fire on all cylinders. 

10 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Better than what? I said something similar about Gary May’s ‘smash them’ comments last week which I’m sure helped motivate Poole’s riders last night. Even Nigel Pearson commented that the fist pump didn’t seem an appropriate reaction after Poole had lost the meeting.

Just think sometimes that team managers do their riders few favours. Happens in football too although they are interviewed ad nauseum so they are inevitably going to trip up at some point. Middlo clearly thinks Poole will go through but he would have been better keeping that to himself.

Not at all he knows the job is only half done but he would have taken a 8 point deficit so just pleased at a better than expected result last night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, semion said:

With Belle Vue depleted Kings Lynn struggling past a depleted Swindon last night and NKI in no sort of form, this must make Poole odds on to lift the play off title.  Surely even the Kings of choking can’t mess this one up, can they ? 

Middlo punching the air says to me he thinks it’s all over.

What are you on about, we have never choked, we have been beaten by  a better team before but that isn't choking. 

Edited by foreverblue

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

A picture of Muddlo punching the air should go on the wall of Somerset’s changing room for the second leg, all the team talk and motivation they should need seeing him celebrating Poole going through already in his mind.

Why should they need motivation? Surely being in the play offs is motivation enough! 

Glad to see you know what Middlo is thinking. Somerset could win at Poole if they put their mind to it. But their plan A was a bit defensive, so they have to attack now, which is what you should do anyway not sit on a lead and hope for the best! 

Edited by lisa-colette

Well for me watching the BT match which showed without a doubt that if you prepare the track fairly for racers to race on - they will. I rate that match as one of the best I have seen in 60 years of watching. Passing in every heat by daring men on their flying machines, inside and out 10 / 10! As good as anything you can see from Poland or Sweden. Of course, it involved two teams eager to go for it and win the league, every team member on both sides had a moment or two! Put that on, on a regular basis and you could hold "lost" fans and attract new ones, I feel sure. That really was speedway racing at it's best. And made me eager for more! I salute you Somerset for preparing a stage suitable for racing of the highest calibre. The hard part is how to make every meeting as meaningful as this one was.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

All our riders busted a gut too, they fought with all they had, Freddie's heat win showed the desire after a couple of lasts, BWD was good in heat one but Doyle couldn't pass as there was only one line at that stage, he tried hard after that as all their riders did  but it seemed to me Middlo had our riders so pumped failure wasn't an option. May talked of a big lead and it seemed some riders maybe took their eye off the ball, Lawson was dire and he's had a terrific season, neither reserve did much after heat 2,Allen got 16 against Belle Vue and Summers got 18 at Workington they are riders in form and we made them look ordinarybut if anyone is under the misconception we are already in the final think again, this isn't over by a long chalk. We have to be right on it again at home, nothing can be taken for granted, Somerset have been terrific at Wimborne Road this season and can get the result they need if we don't fire on all cylinders. 

Jackobsen for me showing his guts and bravery swung the meeting with his heat win.He never looked quick but rode some great lines and really dug in.A really good team effort even Worrall was unlucky there was some good racing but the track at times is puzzling the inside was working then there was grip outside and Doyle in heat 1 looked slow good meeting though enjoyed it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Why should they need motivation? Surely being in the play offs is motivation enough! 

Glad to see you know what Middlo is thinking. Somerset could win at Poole if they put their mind to it. But their plan A was a bit defensive, so they have to attack now, which is what you should do anyway not sit on a lead and hope for the best! 

Teams will always have an extra edge if written off, that extra % or two of motivation could be the difference. I have no doubt Middlo would have told his team what May said last week and that will always motivate a team a little bit more.

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

What are you going on about?

Said Poole deserved their result and then said they shouldn’t throw it away now?

Plus if you are insinuating that I got him banned think again. Yes the man is a troll who inflames people with his posts , but I’m 42 not 12 and never seen the need to report anyone and being 100% honest Shovlar hasn’t used derogatory word against me anyway. If he has used words the mods ban you without anyone reporting you, I’ve called people numpty and been banned

I got banned for the numpty word to.  actually I think I said numpties

I dont post here very often now. Always degenerates into utter claptrap.

Its just plain stupid for anyone to think this tie is all but over. The 2nd leg will be just as close and hard fought. There wasnt a single Poole fan I spoke to before the meeting who thought we would get to within 10 pts of Somerset! In the end, Richies puncture cost us a well deserved draw.

SS was stood behind me and between racing Tatum came out of the commentary hut and was freely chatting and enjoying the banter with him.

As for Middlo and the fist pump, I agree with him. Before Ht15 started, all of those around me settled for stopping Somerset getting a 5-1. To only lose by 2 pts in the end was an excellent result. Would have bitten your arm off for that result before the meeting, yet, was a tad disappointing to actually lose.

Its half time and I am sure both sets of Managements will be geeing their riders up for the 2nd leg. 

Very very slight advantage to Poole.

Edited by BobC
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, BobC said:

I dont post here very often now. Always degenerates into utter claptrap.

Its just plain stupid for anyone to think this tie is all but over. The 2nd leg will be just as close and hard fought. There wasnt a single Poole fan I spoke to before the meeting who thought we would get to within 10 pts of Somerset! In the end, Richies puncture cost us a well deserved draw.

SS was stood behind me and between racing Tatum came out of the commentary hut and was freely chatting and enjoying the banter with him.

As for Middlo and the fist pump, I agree with him. Before Ht15 started, all of those around me settled for stopping Somerset getting a 5-1. To only lose by 2 pts in the end was an excellent result. Would have bitten your arm off for that result before the meeting, yet, was a tad disappointing to actually lose.

Its half time and I am sure both sets of Managements will be geeing their riders up for the 2nd leg. 

Very very slight advantage to Poole.

What i would say Bob is what a great advert for British speedway that was last night tense hard fought racing riders gave everything game on for the second leg.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

What i would say Bob is what a great advert for British speedway that was last night tense hard fought racing riders gave everything game on for the second leg.

I agree totally.