British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington v Newcastle 08/09/18 18:30 hrs Ch.

1 hour ago, New era Panthers said:

There's hope for Danny  Phillips yet , oh I forgot Scunthorpe need him. No offence to Danny I wish him well.

Gotta be nailed on at Newcastle next year.

2 hours ago, idanthyrsus said:

Given the way Newcastle rode tonight I think worky would have gone for a national League rider.  Aarnio excepted.

I thought Matty Wethers battled for his 5+2 as well.  

4 minutes ago, StevePark said:

I thought Matty Wethers battled for his 5+2 as well.  

With Ash being missing tonight, is he going to be OK for Brough tomorrow ?

7 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Thank you. Even a number 8 should be named in case an injury in 1st meeting.

Can a rider be used from Newcastle for the 2nd meeting for Workington & similar if Summers gets injured in 1st meeting.

for once I agree with you 

teams should always have a no8 in meetings like this 

and yes a guest from the first meeting can be picked 

redcar used karl Wilkinson in the 2nd meeting and he was much better rider than he was for Newcastle in the first ??????

• Like 1

Apart from Aarnio that was just embarrassing from the Diamonds.

If any fans did make the journey over, they should have been reimbursed by their team.

Redcar showed later what a bit of determination can do.

NB Does Carl Wilkinson have a twin, because the one who rode for Redcar is a totally different animal to the one who rode for Newcastle.

• Like 2

Fortunately the weather gods spared us after spells of fairly heavy rain earlier in the day. The double header was always going to be demanding on the lads especially so after the away meeting at Scunny the night before. Unfortunately for the Diamonds they caught the Comets at there freshest. Only Tero who was very competitive throughout and to a lesser extent Matty Wethers rode anywhere near there averages. Matty Kus in particular was very disappointing. Any Diamonds fans would have felt pretty low watching the overall team performance on what was a very good track especially so in the first meeting. 

The Comets were all pretty hot in the first meeting but the Bears tested us fully in the second meeting before a 5-1 from Rene and Mason in heat 14 seen us over the line and allowed the fans to relax. Ben Barker and 2017 Comet TJ were particularly strong but there was good support from Jonas Andersen and Carl Wilkinson who looked a different rider in the second meeting. The Bears definitely deserved a point.

All the Comets contributed in both meetings . Big thanks to guest Aaron Summers who done an excellent job on the night and made sure it was mission accomplished with regard to getting the 6 points on offer. 

• Like 1

Despite the score line I thought there was some good races against Newcastle .

Good effort from all the riders who visibly tired in the Redcar meeting.

Edited by topaz325
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Good effort from all the riders who visibly tired in the Redcar meeting.

Yes, R/R in a double-header will always be a touch gruelling and I gather there had been plenty of rain too. 

For anyone who was there, how did the track hold up? It looked fabulous in the pic Steve Lawson tweeted earlier in the week after putting down all the new shale.

• Like 1

Track was good , probably better in the second meeting , well done to Steve Lawson and all the track staff for providing a great racing surface.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Anyone.any thoughts on rene,s "efforts" in ht 9 against redcar ?

Think he just had a slight blip, or something was wrong with the bike. It was his 8th ride by that time so very easy for something to go on the bike because they don't tend to be used as often as that per meeting but we'll never know. The main thing is the comets grab all 6 points and now sit in 2nd 2 points off Peterborough and 1 point ahead of Edinburgh (who have ridden 1 more match than us). If all goes well this could be the first time we see Workington finish top of the table! Not to mention we're on foot in for the CS Final, more or less in the KOC Semi-Final and the ball is in our court for a top 4 finish too. We don't do too bad for a team predicted for the bottom 3 ;)

Edited by Shaggy
  • Like 4

Think that may be the biggest score we’ve beaten Newcastle by, thought Kus and Lindgren would have done better, Tero’s now a decent CL rider. The Comets were up for it and a had guest who performed, not always the case. Thanks Aaron. Some good racing despite the score.