British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington v Newcastle 08/09/18 18:30 hrs Ch.

Prob just me then but i thought we.didnt want to be 6 up before ht 10! Although barker did do a tac sub in ht 11.

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Anyone.any thoughts on rene,s "efforts" in ht 9 against redcar ?

I wasn't there, but I don't see it in the way you're pondering. Sacrificing two points deliberately  to prevent an if-but-perhaps three doesn't work for me. In the double-point days, maybe.

1 hour ago, comet49 said:

Think that may be the biggest score we’ve beaten Newcastle by, thought Kus and Lindgren would have done better, Tero’s now a decent CL rider. The Comets were up for it and a had guest who performed, not always the case. Thanks Aaron. Some good racing despite the score. 

I remember back when Ian Thomas was promoter, probably early/mid 2000,s that we put a score of 69-21 on Newcastle? 

I can't be 100% certain on the date and records are quite difficult to come by but I'm sure a 5-1 in the last would have put the Comets into that rarefied group of team's making it to 70pts in a speedway meeting....think it was Jason Lyons who prevented that from happening? :(

Pretty sure there will be someone after reading this that can shed some light on it!! ;)

1 hour ago, Lord Lucan said:

I remember back when Ian Thomas was promoter, probably early/mid 2000,s that we put a score of 69-21 on Newcastle? 

I can't be 100% certain on the date and records are quite difficult to come by but I'm sure a 5-1 in the last would have put the Comets into that rarefied group of team's making it to 70pts in a speedway meeting....think it was Jason Lyons who prevented that from happening? :(

Pretty sure there will be someone after reading this that can shed some light on it!! ;)

Wouldn’t disagree but can’t remember, you’re probably right. 

1 hour ago, Lord Lucan said:

On July 31st 2004, the Comets hosted Newcastle in the then Premier League.

Upon lining up for heat 15, the scores were Workington 65 Newcastle 23 (4 extra points due to a ht 9 six pointer from Jason Lyons and a ht 12 extra point from R.Juul)

Heat 15 Finished 4 2 in Comets favour (Stead, LYONS, Stonehewer, Juul), so making the final score Workngton 69 Newcastle 25.

As you say, that Jason Lyons second place finish stopped Workington from scoring 70pts on the day.

Very well remembered indeed Lord Lucan!

Edited by yellow and black
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, yellow and black said:

Upon lining up for heat 15, the scores were Workington 65 Newcastle 23 (4 extra points due to a ht 9 six pointer from Jason Lyons and a ht 12 extra point from R.Juul)

Heat 15 Finished 4 2 in Comets favour (Stead, LYONS, Stonehewer, Juul), so making the final score Workngton 69 Newcastle 25.

As you say, that Jason Lyons second place finish stopped Workington from scoring 70pts on the day.

i just knew YOU   were going to pop up with something like that .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellow and black said:

I remember it Y/B because it was the closest to 70 we ever got and highly unlikely to be repeated I'd say, stick's with me coz I so wanted to see us hit the magic number and to be denied in the last....aaarrrgh??? :D

1 hour ago, comet49 said:

Better memory than me 

It's an age thing!! :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

I remember it Y/B because it was the closest to 70 we ever got and highly unlikely to be repeated I'd say, stick's with me coz I so wanted to see us hit the magic number and to be denied in the last....aaarrrgh??? :D

Think you're gonna need to go to Armadale my noble Lord,it seems inevitable the magic number 70 is looming there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gregory peck said:

Think you're gonna need to go to Armadale my noble Lord,it seems inevitable the magic number 70 is looming there

No Ta, I'd rather see us do it to someone else than the other way around, I can still remember the pain of Crayford 65 Comets 12, 1980 and that's enough unwanted record for me!! :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

No Ta, I'd rather see us do it to someone else than the other way around, I can still remember the pain of Crayford 65 Comets 12, 1980 and that's enough unwanted record for me!! :D

Yes, I remember that well,a very dark day in the comets history 

• Like 1

Diamonds leaving Workington after last night's meeting.

PDVD_516.jpg

I felt sorry for their fans as it was a very poor show from the riders. 

Agreed with above Wilkinson must of had a second spurt in the second half of the meeting.

Edited by Speedway4ever

2 hours ago, Speedway4ever said:

Diamonds leaving Workington after last night's meeting.

PDVD_516.jpg

I felt sorry for their fans as it was a very poor show from the riders. 

Agreed with above Wilkinson must of had a second spurt in the second half of the meeting.

Nah, can't have been Diamonds S4E they are going too quickly!! :D

9 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

jacko will probably know