British Speedway Forum
dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

Is speedways refund policy even legal?

You pay admission £15-18 for 15 heats

You only see 6 yet the refund/discount offer (standard terms) is just £4 as refund/discount is only calculated upto heat 10 when a result could be called

Imagine going to a restaurant paying for a meal and only getting the starter but then being told theres a hole in the roof , rain has poured in and the kitchen has closed

Its ok though you can come back next week and pay full price again minus the cost of half your starter

How many would accept that and in those circumstances how many would go back?

Also Id hazard a guess trading standards would be investigating

Is speedway a special case? Should we as 'fans' suck it up for the sake of 'our club'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

You pay admission £15-18 for 15 heats

You only see 6 yet the refund/discount offer (standard terms) is just £4 as refund/discount is only calculated upto heat 10 when a result could be called

Imagine going to a restaurant paying for a meal and only getting the starter but then being told theres a hole in the roof , rain has poured in and the kitchen has closed

Its ok though you can come back next week and pay full price again minus the cost of half your starter

How many would accept that and in those circumstances how many would go back?

Also Id hazard a guess trading standards would be investigating

Is speedway a special case? Should we as 'fans' suck it up for the sake of 'our club'

...I've always thought that the refund policy somewhat suspect. The terms and conditions were always printed in the programme and more often than not this was purchased once you've paid your admission.

I remember going with newcomer once and he was less than impressed when he lost his admission because the meeting was cancelled after heat six. Could never be proved but during dodgy weather I recall some meetings being rushed thru' the first six heats and then abandoned so as to save on the refund policy.

Probably not illegal as the Terms and Conditions are made public so I would suggest 'buyer beware' could come into play..

However, in a Sport so desperate for a fan base, it is just another one of those 'ahhh, but this is Speedway' rules that are so loved by those who run the Sport, that don't in any way encourage you to attend... .

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

It used to be in the 1980s no refund at all once heat 6 had been completed.

Tbh its probably similar in cricket- no refund even if you have an incredibly truncated match or days "play"

Another reason why people won't go to speedway if the weather is dodgy and there is a chance of rain during the meeting.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Another reason why people won't go to speedway if the weather is dodgy and there is a chance of rain during the meeting.

Just one of too many self inflicted reasons...

Maybe eradicating them one by one could be something worth considering?:rolleyes:

(I laugh out loud as I type)...:D

I am led to believe that "buyer beware" does not apply to an organised event ( show or concert ) where admission is charged and is open to the general public. I have before suggested that someone challenges it in the County Court ( cheapest method of mounting a legal challenge ). It is as someone has posted here already another reason not to go if the weather is at all dodgy - which is what I have done for a number of years. It is one factor in driving fans away instead of attracting them. It is different in the real world, away from the speedway bubble.

There was something in the news about one of the airlines who refused to refund people’s money due to a recent pilots strike,which they said was circumstances not covered by then and I think a court ruling this week wen against them

But it is one thing that puts me off the sport nowadays.Meetings seem to me to be called off far easier than in days gone by and my tolerance of such things is much lower.One reason why I wouldn’t consider going to Kent as I stated a few weeks back because the chances of getting a full meeting are low from the outset

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/ryanair-strike-latest-compensation-cancelled-flights-claim-passengers-money-back-holiday-a8456721.html

Edited by iris123

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Just one of too many self inflicted reasons...

Maybe eradicating them one by one could be something worth considering?:rolleyes:

(I laugh out loud as I type)...:D

And thats why I started the thread - to get that thought process going

I for example dont begrudge the current set up as I am happy to go with for the good of my club. I appreciate how delicates the finances must be

However many wont think the same way and in the long run the policy could be more expensive than a full/proportinate refund/discount

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The terms and conditions were always printed in the programme and more often than not this was purchased once you've paid your admission.

Not everyone buys a programme.

19 minutes ago, RS50 said:

...Exactly!

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...Exactly!

I think you are both actually aligned with the point r&R was making...

I got hammered on Facebook a few weeks ago because I complained that mildenhall had cut short their meeting by two heats because a paramedic had got shale in her eye. Thankfully she made a full recovery. 

It made me think that perhaps a two pound discount on the next admission would be the correct thing to do. 

Im my job as a carpenter if I agreed to fit 15 kitchen units and only fitted 13 before cutting myself and unable to continue. You would expect me to return to complete the job. 

But if I said sorry but I’m not coming back to fulfill the work but I still want the full amount I priced despite not finishing. You would not accept that 

strangely enough H&S had recommended a year ago that the track and medical staff should wear eye protection. That has not happened even after the incident. 

This isn’t a go at mildenhall as the situation would have been handled exactly the same at any other track.  

But it’s another reason why fans drift away 

I just don't get that you are basically charged more for the races you don't see. Like I put on another thread...if only one race is completed you only get a 9 quid discount next time....and at 16 to get in that on race cost you 7 quid.  Totally bonkers.  Oh and i didn't go to ipswich Thursday cos I just knew I would get mugged off, just like I was a couple of weeks before.  I now have a policy that if it's been raining or there is a prospect of rain I won't be going.

I'm no longer willing to lose an hours pay at work and the travel costs cos I don't live in Ipswich and lose money on what I might or might not see.