British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe 2019

4 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

".............equally as poor is the team manager whose decisions over this year and other years are pretty baffling like giving Phillips the R/R ride in heat 1 everytime "

I have mentioned many times the need for naming a no8 when using r/r & even more so when reserves are struggling. When another rider gets injured in a meeting it compounds it even more.

Even when teams do announce a no 8 for a meeting, they very rarely use them. Probably used as a standby in case something goes wrong, but not intending to use them anyway.  Invariably a reserve is better that the no 8, so stick with the better rider.

4 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

".............equally as poor is the team manager whose decisions over this year and other years are pretty baffling like giving Phillips the R/R ride in heat 1 everytime "

I have mentioned many times the need for naming a no8 when using r/r & even more so when reserves are struggling. When another rider gets injured in a meeting it compounds it even more.

Phillips is in a no win situation ((excuse the pun) he wants to carry on riding at national league level but maybe doesn't want to ride for Scunthorpe, but in order to ride national league he must ride for Scunthorpe also, otherwise he would receive a ban for withholding his services as he is declared in the Scunthorpe 1 to 7 which would also stop him riding national league . Scunthorpe made the mistake of not deselecting him before the deadline

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

Phillips is in a no win situation ((excuse the pun) he wants to carry on riding at national league level but maybe doesn't want to ride for Scunthorpe, but in order to ride national league he must ride for Scunthorpe also, otherwise he would receive a ban for withholding his services as he is declared in the Scunthorpe 1 to 7 which would also stop him riding national league . Scunthorpe made the mistake of not deselecting him before the deadline

Yes, the lad just wants to ride and has a contract to do so. Not his fault someone else cocked up the team change.

• Like 1

Guest WTF1
21 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

Can't disagree with what you say,  a case of the promotion not listening to the supporters,  both Manzares and Phillips should have been released long before the cut off date, most National League riders would do better than Phillips,  

Rob being too loyal again is the case as Danny's home form has been abysmal. Checking through my programmes, the last time Danny beat an opposition rider was 22nd July v Glasgow when he beat Sarjeant in heat 2. The time before that was 22nd June v Lakeside when he beat Morley in heat 12. Both meetings well before the transfer deadline but I, & many others were figuring out who to replace him with. Sheffield tried with Lawlor, who was later replaced but there were a few others named back then that we could have tried.

Heres my take on the Danny Phillips situation. With the team built as it was there was no pressure on Dan to score early on in the season just find his way back and get up to speed with things again after the injury. In fairness early season he was mixing it never far off the pace and picking up points here and there. Then the season takes a turn Steve Worral gets injured and the pressure then goes up a notch for Dan to score still not a huge issue as the team using rr is still capable of winning especially at home. Then the biggest turning point is the loss of Stefan Nielsen who was scoring way above his average and is almost impossible to replace either using guests or rr this compounded with Manzares getting hurt riding for The USA and his subsequent drop in form. This in turn leads to the team needing dan to score points and the pressure mounts on him and unfortunately he isn't able to step up and he goes backwards not even been in the mix after the tapes go up.

last point earlier in the season Dan passes Kyle Bickley by turn two when going off 15m late in the season kyle beats him by half a lap when both starting from the tapes one develops the other hasnt

• Like 4

Guest WTF1

What a joke speedway is now,  if Lakeside are struggling to fit there fixtures in, by way of winning the first leg Peterborough should be in the ko cup semi final so that Scunthorpe can fulfil their fixtures this coming Friday,  the Championship Shield should have been completed straight after the qualifiers,  the Ko cup at least a month ago leaving the play offs to finish the season off,  it seems this sport  is run by a complete bunch of aresholes who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery,  after 60 years watching speedway Iv'e just about had enough. 

52 minutes ago, HerniaWise said:

What a joke speedway is now,  if Lakeside are struggling to fit there fixtures in, by way of winning the first leg Peterborough should be in the ko cup semi final so that Scunthorpe can fulfil their fixtures this coming Friday,  the Championship Shield should have been completed straight after the qualifiers,  the Ko cup at least a month ago leaving the play offs to finish the season off,  it seems this sport  is run by a complete bunch of aresholes who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery,  after 60 years watching speedway Iv'e just about had enough. 

I totally agree but don't think your Promoter will :D 

Guest WTF1
2 hours ago, Taylorj said:

I totally agree but don't think your Promoter will :D 

Thanks Taylorj but  in the end we all know the saying, the truth hurts and speedway is sliding down the pan so quick unless they all get their act together quickly it will be flushed away for good

Bloody hell, I realise that Danny has struggled this season, but some of the personal things said about him on this thread is a bit too much don't you think? Danny was chosen to ride in Scunthorpe's 1-7 this season and there was plenty of opportunity to replace him BEFORE the cut off... But he wasn't and still has a contract to fulfil... He's doing the professional thing, even if he is struggling to do it well... Poor lad probably feels like sh*t after every meeting, not scoring point and losing money and comments on here will just be adding to it all...

Please for the love of god, I hope Danny does not read this forum, or if he does, he realises how little the comments on here should matter to him, as long as he's having fun and making a living

Edited by Dandelion
  • Like 6

Run down on this years team..

Steve Worrall - was brought in as a out-and-out number 1, got injured in the first meeting of the season.. Can see Stevie back next season with a point to prove.

Stefan Nielsen - at the start of the season, by far our most consistant rider, good for 12 points a meeting then crashed in a premiership meeting, which unfortunatley cost us our season.

Jason Garrity - the thrill merchant but injury prone... top lad, would like to see him back

Jake Allen - my rider of the season, great lad, great rider especially around the ewr! Defo one to keep for 2019

Josh Auty - pretty much nailed on for 2019, is he really going anywhere else? Had by far his best season this year

Gino Manzares - started the season by doing his job, but then had his confidence blowing crash in the SON, which ultimatley made him the rider that he is now, I cant see him back at the EWR next season

Danny Phillips - can''t see young Danny been back next season.. Started of by doing his job, getting the odd 3rd here-and-there, but with all the injuries the pressure mounted on the lad and had gone backwards, shame as I really like the lad and consider him a mate..

Realistically can see the 3 J's and Steve back at the Scorpions, wouldn't mind seeing Stef back if we can get him back to how he was at the start of the season... Can almost see 2 changes in the reserve berth, would like to see Ryan Douglas back if his average would fit and a rider like Jordan Jenkins (although doesn't want to commit to a full season of Championship racing with his exams in April/May, maybe a mid season replacement?) or maybe even bring Josh Bailey back? 

1 hour ago, ScunnyDan said:

Run down on this years team..

Steve Worrall - was brought in as a out-and-out number 1, got injured in the first meeting of the season.. Can see Stevie back next season with a point to prove.

Stefan Nielsen - at the start of the season, by far our most consistant rider, good for 12 points a meeting then crashed in a premiership meeting, which unfortunatley cost us our season.

Jason Garrity - the thrill merchant but injury prone... top lad, would like to see him back

Jake Allen - my rider of the season, great lad, great rider especially around the ewr! Defo one to keep for 2019

Josh Auty - pretty much nailed on for 2019, is he really going anywhere else? Had by far his best season this year

Gino Manzares - started the season by doing his job, but then had his confidence blowing crash in the SON, which ultimatley made him the rider that he is now, I cant see him back at the EWR next season

Danny Phillips - can''t see young Danny been back next season.. Started of by doing his job, getting the odd 3rd here-and-there, but with all the injuries the pressure mounted on the lad and had gone backwards, shame as I really like the lad and consider him a mate..

Realistically can see the 3 J's and Steve back at the Scorpions, wouldn't mind seeing Stef back if we can get him back to how he was at the start of the season... Can almost see 2 changes in the reserve berth, would like to see Ryan Douglas back if his average would fit and a rider like Jordan Jenkins (although doesn't want to commit to a full season of Championship racing with his exams in April/May, maybe a mid season replacement?) or maybe even bring Josh Bailey back? 

Allen, Auty and Garrity 

Steve Worrall

adds up to 31.44, even with the present points limit of 42.5, would leave you with only 11.06 for 3 remaining riders

Stefan Nielsen 6.82.

I think you need to buy a new calculator and have a re-think about your top 4 or 5. 

11 hours ago, spin king said:

Allen, Auty and Garrity 

Steve Worrall

adds up to 31.44, even with the present points limit of 42.5, would leave you with only 11.06 for 3 remaining riders

Stefan Nielsen 6.82.

I think you need to buy a new calculator and have a re-think about your top 4 or 5. 

Honestly 

The whole thing may need a rethink if we end up with 6 man teams and a build average of around 36

Regards
THJ 

Guest WTF1
2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly 

The whole thing may need a rethink if we end up with 6 man teams and a build average of around 36

Regards
THJ 

We've had a 6 man team all season at Scunny. 

5 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

We've had a 6 man team all season at Scunny. 

Some people just can't stop...