British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe 2019

3 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

Can't see Phillips anywhere near the EW raceway next season but as I'm led  to believe teams running averages will be lower to start with which makes Gino a possibility for 2019

6 man teams with 36 points

Regards
THJ

23 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

6 man teams with 36 points

Regards
THJ

Dropping it to 13 heats with 6 man teams will save each club around £22500 cold, some a little more depending on how much they spoil their riders now. 6 man teams only save the cost of that rider not his points as they will be paid to someone else if it's still 15 heats.

Somebody told me that this proposal was put to an AGM 5 or 6 years ago for the then PL and 2 clubs got up and walked out and the others couldn't/wouldn't agree. It's somewhat ironic that it is needed now particularly as 9 of those clubs have changed ownership and or league. Only Ipswich, Edinburgh, Scunny and to a degree Newcastle have remained intact (Newcastle have had a Co-Promoter come and go).

It's no good pizzing around now it needs to be driven to the bottom costwise and then the focus can be on building the attendances but all the time Promoters are bleeding out of the bottom they're never gonna agree a rational strategy for recovery, if they do they sure as hell won't stick to it!

57 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

Dropping it to 13 heats with 6 man teams will save each club around £22500 cold, some a little more depending on how much they spoil their riders now. 6 man teams only save the cost of that rider not his points as they will be paid to someone else if it's still 15 heats.

Somebody told me that this proposal was put to an AGM 5 or 6 years ago for the then PL and 2 clubs got up and walked out and the others couldn't/wouldn't agree. It's somewhat ironic that it is needed now particularly as 9 of those clubs have changed ownership and or league. Only Ipswich, Edinburgh, Scunny and to a degree Newcastle have remained intact (Newcastle have had a Co-Promoter come and go).

It's no good pizzing around now it needs to be driven to the bottom costwise and then the focus can be on building the attendances but all the time Promoters are bleeding out of the bottom they're never gonna agree a rational strategy for recovery, if they do they sure as hell won't stick to it!

Will only save clubs £22500 approx if clubs continue to charge the amounts they are now......however as most already think the sport is over priced, justifying 6 man teams and low points limits is going to be almost impossible.

Edited by Sings4Speedway

18 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Will only save clubs £22500 approx if clubs continue to charge the amounts they are now......however as most already think the sport is over priced, justifying 6 man teams and low points limits is going to be almost impossible.

That is about a half to a third of some clubs losses and it is indicative, it will be more for some clubs. 12 points plus 1 bonus point taken out of league meetings will be £16,000 ish add KO Cup, Trophy and challenge matches it's nearer £20,000 then depending on vans, flights, mechanics, sign on fees, tyres etc etc it could be as much as £30k. If clubs can head for a break even then you can live in hope as far as entrance fees are concerned but one things for sure unless they can wipe those sort of numbers off their costs this crisis ain't going away anytime soon.

Face reality, you are not going to get real value for money until the sport turns, the best they can do now is try to halt or slow down the slide before every club folds. At the moment they are struggling to survive, the losses just have to be reduced or eliminated and right now the majority of Promoters have not a lot to lose by walking away.

16 minutes ago, Byker Biker said:

That is about a half to a third of some clubs losses and it is indicative, it will be more for some clubs. 12 points plus 1 bonus point taken out of league meetings will be £16,000 ish add KO Cup, Trophy and challenge matches it's nearer £20,000 then depending on vans, flights, mechanics, sign on fees, tyres etc etc it could be as much as £30k. If clubs can head for a break even then you can live in hope as far as entrance fees are concerned but one things for sure unless they can wipe those sort of numbers off their costs this crisis ain't going away anytime soon.

Face reality, you are not going to get real value for money until the sport turns, the best they can do now is try to halt or slow down the slide before every club folds. At the moment they are struggling to survive, the losses just have to be reduced or eliminated and right now the majority of Promoters have not a lot to lose by walking away.

Oh don't get me wrong i completely agree that costs for all need to come down if the sport is to survive in this country but i personally feel that its the add ons that need reducing....get your own van, pay for your own flights, smaller / no sign on fee's and less points money.....still want to ride? yes great no ok there will be someone else who will. At the moment its not the big riders that are holding the UK to ransom its the average ones who are still profiting hugely.

• Thanks 1

Guest WTF1
4 hours ago, Taylorj said:

I was speaking with Danny at Workington after the Scunny meeting , such a lovely guy who was treated badly by Scunthorpe in the latter of the season , at least he tried , you could have been stuck with the likes of Sarjeant like we were last season who just took the p... !!

Couldn't give a monkeys if Phillips is a lovely guy, the fact is that he was taking the piss out of the Scunny paying public regardless what the management had done, there was never a chance of any points in the last few months but if you think he is such a lovely guy how about a straight swap between Campton and Phillips 

I could name you 20 Nl riders a mile better than phillips, completely outclassed 

2 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

Couldn't give a monkeys if Phillips is a lovely guy, the fact is that he was taking the piss out of the Scunny paying public regardless what the management had done, there was never a chance of any points in the last few months but if you think he is such a lovely guy how about a straight swap between Campton and Phillips 

no bother , see T.H.J. 

B.T.W. that cant godfrey had loads of time to move his team around f. %90 of the season infact . so blame your japs eye for that one .

3 hours ago, ruckerroo said:

I could name you 20 Nl riders a mile better than phillips, completely outclassed 

Please do as they all look great till they step up ,a few riders likes Kemp bewley mountain bickley are the exceptions 

4 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

Phillips had guts to turn up each meeting knowing fans hated him management didnt want  he should have walked away and dropped.scunny right in it and his attitude in the pits was alot better than some in the scunny team i could mention.

Guest WTF1
16 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Phillips had guts to turn up each meeting knowing fans hated him management didnt want  he should have walked away and dropped.scunny right in it and his attitude in the pits was alot better than some in the scunny team i could mention.

Funny how it's all supporters from other tracks other than Scunny that are defending Phillips as Iv'e posted before put your money where your mouth is he's there for signing now,  expect to see him in a championship side next year, 

Would have made no difference if he had walked away as he hasn't scored for months anyway but in all honesty Phillips just wasn't good enough for this league especially as a lot of teams had experienced riders at reserve

2 hours ago, mac101 said:

Please do as they all look great till they step up ,a few riders likes Kemp bewley mountain bickley are the exceptions 

Phillips isnt even a nat league heatleader, somebody posted he wasnt trying for scunthorpe, hes just outclassed

59 minutes ago, HerniaWise said:

Funny how it's all supporters from other tracks other than Scunny that are defending Phillips as Iv'e posted before put your money where your mouth is he's there for signing now,  expect to see him in a championship side next year, 

Would have made no difference if he had walked away as he hasn't scored for months anyway but in all honesty Phillips just wasn't good enough for this league especially as a lot of teams had experienced riders at reserve

Not defending the rider.

as you and your other Scunny fan has pointed out Phillips was not scoring the points all season, so why did it take your Team Management while after the cut off point for team changes to decide that he needed dropping.

Your Team Management were caught with their pants down, I find it more than frustrating that you vent your frustration out solely on the rider the rider, why not the Management team as well? 

• Like 3

This season I watched Danny Phillips home / away and to be fair yes Rob Godfrey could have timed things better ,but as a skilled tradesman myself I have pride in what I do and and produce .So why didn't Danny stand up and say I'm not ready for this and stand down himself .

He should stick to his daytime job as a mechanic and slide his machine around the beach for his enjoyment as he can't be making any money racing in the championship  ,at times it looked like he was riding a 250 cc bike 

i don't wish the lad any harm but he or his dad who is involved in Speedway should be honest and say  this isn't for me .

ps before any body states I can't say this ? I can because when I pay my money at the turnstiles it's to watch 14 guys race over 15 heats of Speedway as per the programme and not 13 riders and  AN other

1 hour ago, ruckerroo said:

Phillips isnt even a nat league heatleader, somebody posted he wasnt trying for scunthorpe, hes just outclassed

Most heatleaders in the NL would not have been able to fill the reserve spot at scunny they only had 2 points left and I don’t think any rider doesn’t try when racing most teams have build from the reserve this year with 4-5-6 point riders at reserve so he was one of the weakest reserves to start with Danny was just there because of the points they had left and only one that took the job and did scunny not say before he was picked that they would pick a rider that looked good from their amature winter series Danny was always going to be against it especially coming back from his injury and  why is it always the weak reserve that gets all the blame when a teams not doing well  and he maybe never quit because there was nobody to replace him on a 2 point ave     He did beat jack Thomas 2pointer Kyle Bickley another 2 pointer from 15  mtr at home 

Edited by mac101