British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe 2019

2 hours ago, Islander15 said:

It’s going to be a very weak bottom 3 with Bailey still not pulling up any trees, List probably in the main body and completely new to the league and another 2 pointer at reserve!

Puts a lot of emphasis on the very good top 4 but Scunny found out this past season what happens if even 1 of them is injured!

but this time the league is much weaker due to the points limit,and due to the availability[and mental wage demads of 4 or 5 point riders] i would say many of the teams will be built quite top heavy

not a bad thing in that regard as it should pitch the youngsters against each other more times than before

Time will tell

14 hours ago, Gemini said:

Are you fascinated with the letter J? :D

Think he's 'J'oking. :rofl:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Why? He’ll go to whoever offers the most money surely? Like everyone else. Or he might stay at Birmingham if they’re moving up as I’m led to believe. Unless he doesn’t want to travel to home meetings.

Leon will be at Berwick for sure he does not chase the money as he has knocked back  a good few clubs from what I was told it’s who he rides with is more important to him than the money good lad 

Edited by mac101
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Why? He’ll go to whoever offers the most money surely? Like everyone else. Or he might stay at Birmingham if they’re moving up as I’m led to believe. Unless he doesn’t want to travel to home meetings.

Why? Money isn't everything early in a career if you are planning a long career in the sport and want to progress to ride on the continent/world level, there is so much more to it than that. Especially at a young age like these new crop of British talent, where you may have a lot of family members helping out and a good network of sponsors you work hard to get and then promote to aid progression, ala Kyle Bickley. 

Chasing money might be for good in the short term, but often a rider in 10 years time will have had 9/10 different clubs and be at the same level as they were on their 'bargain average' each year going from club to club with unfulfilled potential. Ben Barker is a prime example.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Why? Money isn't everything early in a career if you are planning a long career in the sport and want to progress to ride on the continent/world level, there is so much more to it than that. Especially at a young age like these new crop of British talent, where you may have a lot of family members helping out and a good network of sponsors you work hard to get and then promote to aid progression, ala Kyle Bickley. 

Chasing money might be for good in the short term, but often a rider in 10 years time will have had 9/10 different clubs and be at the same level as they were on their 'bargain average' each year going from club to club with unfulfilled potential. Ben Barker is a prime example.

Spot on. Plus lets not forget that points money isn't the only money in Speedway. Sticking local and building a good affinity with local sponsors and supporters can pay off much bigger in the long term. Bickley is a prime example as he has huge sponsorship established plus local supporters stuck by him and kept him in the side when if at another club it might not have been so forgiving and he rode out the storm and came good at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Leon has a lot of local supporters, but at the end of the day if Birmingham do come up, from what I’ve seen today they may well not be, he would have a tough decision to make as he really enjoyed his first season with them. A lot of riders dont like to ride for the ‘local’ team as it puts added pressure on them with friends coming to watch and everyone knowing you personally, it can be quite scary I can imagine, for a young lad like him.

2 hours ago, montie said:

not true at all,seems the lad had much higher offers elsewhere,so fair play to the lad

Nice to see him getting good advice looking toward the future. When we signed Robert Lambert in his second season with us, he stayed with us as he already knew that we had chased him 4 times to join us, and our small track matched well with his large track in the PL at Kings Lynn. He probably could have got more money somewhere else, but he was impressed with how we cared for him, and the mix of tracks were the deciding factors. 

• Like 1

Jason Garrity  has been the heart and soul of the Scorpions  all 2018 . Steve may have been captain  and a good PR man but Jason is without doubt the team motivator.  Would welcome  Jason back anytime. 

• Like 2

Hoping  it's Steve I think he has unfinished business in been inured in his first meeting for the Scorpions and missing the bulk of the season and not really getting his confidence back .

The winter break will mean he comes back fitter and hungrier for 2019

I suspect the two names will leave us just under three points to fill for the 7th man. Jake Allen was a great start to the 2019 team building; but having potentially three riders all quite some distance less able than the top 4 means we will get little on our travels and home meetings will be close run things. 10 out of 15 heats might offer us little more than 3-3 alls. I'm all for giving opportunities to young riders but this looks a real "leap of faith" 

35 minutes ago, the outsider said:

I suspect the two names will leave us just under three points to fill for the 7th man. Jake Allen was a great start to the 2019 team building; but having potentially three riders all quite some distance less able than the top 4 means we will get little on our travels and home meetings will be close run things. 10 out of 15 heats might offer us little more than 3-3 alls. I'm all for giving opportunities to young riders but this looks a real "leap of faith" 

Which two riders do you think it will be then?