British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe 2019

Is it fair to say that the two reserves for next year will score more than Gino did on his own last year and the new Aussie needs to score as many points as Worralls rider replacements did for the 38 point team to match the 42.5 point team that started last year, I don't think that makes the new team weak at all.

Take Ryan Kingsley out the equation for now as he's learning his trade 

Look at Josh Baileys scores and average for Mildenhall as that is against the riders he will race against at his number in the championship this Year 

the young Aussie Jedd could be anything  but Jake recommended him

The top 3 Auty,Garrity and Allen will match most top 3 riders 

plus last but not least Stefan was averaging over 7 before his broken leg and comes into the team on 5.6 I think 

so I think we have a good balance

every team in the league wanted Drew Kemp but Sheffield won the race for him and looking at last year all the favourites on paper didn't win a thing as Workingtonwon the lot 

as for 2019 a safe season to all riders who provide us with our entertainment as there was some bad injuries for most sides last year

Take Ryan Kingsley out the equation for now as he's learning his trade 

Look at Josh Baileys scores and average for Mildenhall as that is against the riders he will race against at his number in the championship this Year 

the young Aussie Jedd could be anything  but Jake recommended him

The top 3 Auty,Garrity and Allen will match most top 3 riders 

plus last but not least Stefan was averaging over 7 before his broken leg and comes into the team on 5.6 I think 

so I think we have a good balance

every team in the league wanted 

Edited by Tosh1218
Duplicated
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2018 at 7:11 PM, Gazc said:

Workington in gazump scandal , well who would have thought that ;).

Honestly 

Couldn't say anything until now however, once it was known that Steve wasn't going back to Scunny a Worky promoter rang Rob Godfrey and the conversation went along the lines of..

WP. Rob are you not using Steve Worrall this year
RG. Nope
WP. Oh that's interesting
RG. Yep
WP. Any issues if we give him a call
RG. Nope
WP. And you have your team sorted
RG. Yep
WP. So no problem if we end up using him
RG. Nope
WP. He's a Belle Vue asset isn't he
RG. Yep
WP. As he is  Belle Vue asset do we need to ring them? with them being in the top league
RG. Nope
WP. Cheers for that Rob; Bye
RG. Bye

Those who know Rob will be aware he rarely uses two words when one will do!!!

Again; and although not necessary; the Worky Promoter rang Belle Vue to tell them what was happening, BEFORE he got someone to "Text" Steve Worrall to see if he would be interested in coming to Workington.

So no Gazumping by Workington as much as you would like it to be otherwise, every part of the deal was done as it should be.

Permission asked of Scunthorpe and granted by them with everyone happy

Unlike the Mob you follow and defend to the hilt. Contacting riders through the back door and offering £10k sign on fees to reserves. I don't know who advises the Facinas however I know that being sited "to far north" was one of the reasons for Glasgow not going into the top league and the travelling implications, however riders do not usually get sign on fees in the Premiership and with the wages Glasgow pay comparable (or as near as dam it) to Premiership riders the money they saved on "Sign on's" would more than cover the mileage expenses even at 0.20p per mile. 1000 mile round trips for 7 riders over 12 away matches only comes in at £16,800 which is less than the sign on fees  being offered to two point reserves. DOH!!!

The sooner Glasgow go up the better for me as they just "queer the pitch" for everyone else

For Scunny fans missing Steve I appreciate you have lost a good rider however whilst he was out most of last season you coped admirably without him (and others to be fair) and I don't think he will be that big a miss for the Scorp's this year as Rob has pulled together a well balanced side. The Scorp's big tests will be against Sheffield and Glasgow as from what I have seen so far both will have strong sides; and closely followed by Leicester and Somerset of the sides who have declared so far.

There will be greater pressure placed on young and/or inexperienced shoulders this year; more so than usual. Anyone who has reserves or 4 point riders who can hit the ground running and put a point and a half or two on their averages will end up in very strong positions. Someone has to win these reserve races and races where they are up against each other and I can see some of these kids on false 5 to 6 point averages by mid season. 

However this begs another question if someone gets injured and you are building to 38 points I would assume that this 38 point figure will be passed after the first months rolling averages are issued meaning like for like changes only so lets hope the Scorp's have got over their injury jinx as the fun will start this year if you are racked by injuries again? Or if you need to drop another rider another set of rules will apply just to complicate the matter.

Regards
THJ

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What reserve did Glasgow offer a 10k sign on fee to THJ  it is a mystery to me

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MANSE said:

What reserve did Glasgow offer a 10k sign on fee to THJ  it is a mystery to me

Heard it Started off at £1k and buy the time it had gone around everybody in the know it got a few extra 00,s on it total bull crap 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mac101 said:

Heard it Started off at £1k and buy the time it had gone around everybody in the know it got a few extra 00,s on it total bull crap 

Don't deal in bull sadly and it's riders plural.

Even LM quoting it in SS

Also I wouldn't embarrass the riders or their families by naming them as they have stayed loyal to their respective clubs but not for the want of Glasgows relentless efforts and I consider these people also as close friends.

Plus this is a Scunthorpe thread.

Regards

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Missed out word
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mac101 said:

Not Bull crap I’m afraid , you know we are a close knit community here in Workington :P how sad Glasgow wanted to sign our 1-7 , can’t put their own winning team together , only managed to poach 1 ...but as THJ has said this is Scunny’s thread keep the bull for Glasgow one 

Edited by Taylorj
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

In this weeks ss it says Jedd List is staying with Ryan Douglas, I can't help thinking it was a mistake not having Ryan in the team to give him guidance. I would have had Ryan and Gino for Garrity and Kinsley.  

Edited by eric i

Stevie was very unfortunate for us last season through injuries 

i don't care if he's been offered extra cash or whatever ,these lads put there lives on the line for our entertainment and I wish him well 

but I'm sure I would rather travel 29 miles and 35 minutes to a home  meeting rather than 240 miles and 4 hours to a home meeting but hey ho at least Stevie hasn't used this as an excuse unlike Ty Proctor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

i don't care if he's been offered extra cash or whatever ,these lads put there lives on the line for our entertainment and I wish him well 

but I'm sure I would rather travel 29 miles and 35 minutes to a home  meeting rather than 240 miles and 4 hours to a home meeting but hey ho at least Stevie hasn't used this as an excuse unlike Ty Proctor

I have sponsored Steve since his days at Newcastle and cash certainty wasn't the driver for him wanting away... and it wasn't anything said or done by Scunny either... next time he is at Scunny ask him and he will give you a straight answer as he's that type of guy...

You are correct when you state travel time and distance are key and these were a main factor in Steve going to Scunny last year coupled of course with his young family and he does now have a considerable journey on his hands certainly compared to what he was used to doing...

Regards 

THJ 

8 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

I would think a valid excuse from Ty.When he lives one mile away from the sheffield track why would he want to travel all the way to Workington and back for home meetings? The big bonus for him is he will get paid every week as well.No brainer !!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eric i said:

In this weeks ss it says Jedd List is staying with Ryan Douglas, I can't help thinking it was a mistake not having Ryan in the team to give him guidance. I would have had Ryan and Gino for Garrity and Kinsley.  

how can something be a mistake when there was zero chance of it happening,  Ryan wanted to try somewhere new

6 hours ago, montie said:

how can something be a mistake when there was zero chance of it happening,  Ryan wanted to try somewhere new

Which also gives him the opportunity to be with him at meetings on days when he is not riding, so everyone's a winner.

• Like 4