British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe 2019

12 minutes ago, bloom89 said:

In the statement Scunthorpe have released it says he might be reintroduced so maybe the rules have changed I’m not 100% sure.

Well if the rules haven't changed, am sure they will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Strange move Imo,surely List is a better long term,Ayers is pretty harum sacrum and usually gets an injury.

3 meetings given and godfrey (small g as he is not worth the capital ) wanted a word champ . showing his true colours again . jedd had prob set his heart on doing well in his first season in the uk .

IF by any chance scunny need a replacement in the next month or so , i hope jedd tells that runt of a promotor where he can go . guys is an absolute disgrace to the sport .

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As a scunthorpe fan, I am glad by this, he is a bit out of his depth and will get some time over this season to get some track time, yes Godfrey made a gamble and it didnt work.

To be fair to Godfrey he is not known as a chop/change promoter and this has been to our detriment over many seasons, seems other promoters can do this when they like and virtually no comment ... go figure.

• Like 3

Ayres is a character and the sport needs more of those , we loved him at Glasgow a couple of seasons ago . 

Bit harsh on the young Aussie , but the reduced points limit makes it hard to carry someone in the hope he clicks at some point . 

• Like 6

Should have used him at #2 that way he would have had a easier couple of rides against reserves personally I would have used Josh Macdonald I think he will be a great rider from what I have seen from him already this year 

7 hours ago, jenga said:

3 meetings given and godfrey (small g as he is not worth the capital ) wanted a word champ . showing his true colours again . jedd had prob set his heart on doing well in his first season in the uk .

IF by any chance scunny need a replacement in the next month or so , i hope jedd tells that runt of a promotor where he can go . guys is an absolute disgrace to the sport .

one could argue we dropped one rider,your lot dropped 7 riders, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While Rob Godfrey as many faults as it as already been stated disloyalty to riders doesn’t seem to be one of them. You only have to look at the situation last season. When both Steve Worrall and Stefan Nielsen returned after breaking their legs the subsequent drop in form would have seen them dropped from many teams, and let’s not forget Danny Phillips

Over past seasons Rob as continually stood by riders when other promoters would have dropped them. And this isn’t first time Rob as given young Aussies their first chance in British speedway either Ryan Douglas was in Jedd List’s shoes not that long ago. So for Rob to have taken this step isn’t something he would have done lightly and it is quite likely there are other factors behind the scenes that have influenced the decision that we the general fans are unaware of.

The problem here is 2 fold firstly the drop in the team average meaning teams can no longer afford to carry a low scoring rider for too long and combined this with the accessed average which now forces riders such as Jedd straight into the main team were the pressures of scoring are a lot higher. While it can be argued there are no easy races even at reserve, the old team average did mean any team wishing to take a chance on a young overseas rider could at least strengthen in other areas to accommodate allowing time to settle in

Yes Rob took a gamble with Jedd List and it didn’t work out much to the hilarity of many on here. But had Jedd come over and scored highly straight away how many of those laughing at the current situation would have been on here posting comments on how once more Rob had somehow bent the rules to his favour

• Like 1

Quote: "We know what we're getting from our top four, so the excitement for me comes with Jedd List. I'm not saying he's going to be an overnight sensation because he's not, but he will be another quality rider from the other side of the world. He is the punt in the team but he will win races. There's no pressure on him at all but if he can score five or six a meeting that's all what we want him to do". 

Edited by the outsider

Im sorry but its clear List wasn't ready for racing at this level and shouldn't have travelled over. He threw his leg over a 500cc bike at the beginning of the year/late last year i believe. He and his family have thrown a lot of money away on this venture because he has been lured across the world with questionable promises and dreams (lets face it there is plenty of criminal activity that takes place in similar circumstances). But the ultimate blame has to lay with Scunthorpe & the promotion, they have a responsibility to ensure riders are up to the required standard to be out on track rather than take a gamble on someone who may be a superstar or not (lets face it British riders are not often afforded that level of faith). Jedd List could quite possibly find his Speedway career finished before its even begun.

• Like 3

If Danny Ayres scores 2 points over the next three meetings (not inconcievable ?) and not being disrespectful. But if he did ? where are we going with this ?.

14 minutes ago, the outsider said:

If Danny Ayres scores 2 points over the next three meetings (not inconcievable ?) and not being disrespectful. But if he did ? where are we going with this ?.

If somehow Danny has a disaster and scores under 2 points a meeting from the next 3 all those attending will have witnessed a rider busting a gut with effort. 

• Like 1

There’s no room for sentiment in sport. 

I do wonder, however if Scunthorpe did their due diligence on List or just signed him on the back of him being from Australia and therefore he must be better than a British rider. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, acef said:

3 meetings? What have they learned in 3 meetings they didn't already know.

I hope this is Jedds choice or that of his family otherwise that is absolutely horrific treatment, but absolutely standard form Mr G

What is standard about Mr G is that he does show loyalty & has proved it many times in previous seasons.

I guess you are another Mr G hater about anything he does or says.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, jenga said:

I thought this was a speedway for & not a scrabble forum. Never mind, THJ sums you up perfectly ....... a prized plum!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1