British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe 2019

This years team suits did not cost the northern club any money they are sponsored same as last year 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, proud panther said:

Think you are wrong, & typify what is wrong with a lot of speedway fans. We need to make the sport more professional, & racesuits are very important to improve the image of the sport.

i agree they look good . but the sport is run by unprofessional people and riders are demanding pro  rates from promotors who cant supply the cash needed to pay these guys . the great northern club was jam packed , but still found it hard to pay certain bills . when you were a kid playing footie in the park/street . you always knew who your team mates were regardless of the colour of your  strip . hence the helmet colours !

8 hours ago, mac101 said:

This years team suits did not cost the northern club any money they are sponsored same as last year 

could that sponsorship be put to better use ?

Edited by jenga
just joined the sad and confused club .

I think racesuits have had their day to be honest. Especially when you see young riders coming in to the sport with numerous sponsors and those sponsors crave space and profile. A team race suit limits space, an individual racesuit and body colour allows more space and a rider his "individuality" and sponsors like that.

The modern trend also seems that those who have individual race-suits incorporate the body colour in to the suit. 

I am told a race suit costs north of £600 and a body colour costs about 10% of that, if Clubs can blow around £4500/£5000 of sponsorship money on suits, good luck to them, I suspect most would rather bank the £4000 and have race jackets that can give one big sponsor just as much exposure??...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, HGould said:

I think racesuits have had their day to be honest. Especially when you see young riders coming in to the sport with numerous sponsors and those sponsors crave space and profile. A team race suit limits space, an individual racesuit and body colour allows more space and a rider his "individuality" and sponsors like that.

The modern trend also seems that those who have individual race-suits incorporate the body colour in to the suit. 

I am told a race suit costs north of £600 and a body colour costs about 10% of that, if Clubs can blow around £4500/£5000 of sponsorship money on suits, good luck to them, I suspect most would rather bank the £4000 and have race jackets that can give one big sponsor just as much exposure??...

When team racesuits are made for each rider, all their individual sponsors go on to that individuals racesuit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

When team racesuits are made for each rider, all their individual sponsors go on to that individuals racesuit.

but the  team race suits take  the eye and not the riders sponsors .  riders sponsors on a race suit take time to look for on a jazzed up suit . sponsors logos can be as big as they want to be on their own suits because there are no restriction as to how big they can be , where as they are limited to size with team suits . as HGould says , they have had their day and the built in body colour is the best option . plus they can keep the race suits when the season finishes . it belongs to them and not the club .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

That's blindingly obvious but as jenga points out they are nothing like as visible or noticed. 

I have also taken friends to speedway who are not regulars and they find it far easier to identify the guy in the "blue leathers "- ("as many still call them") or the "green leathers" than a team where everyone id dressed exactly the same.

Us more regular know all about the helmet colours but harder for newcomers to take in.   

On 3/16/2019 at 1:20 PM, jenga said:

will it make them go any better ?

Twice as fast :)

5 hours ago, jenga said:

could that sponsorship be put to better use ?

Isn't that the point - Big sponsors more than likely won't sponsor at all with an amatuer look. With a more professional image they are more likely to.

I still can't believe more teams (if any now actually) don't try and get sponsorship for fork covers. That is prime spot for every photograph being taken and is cheap to get manufactured. Win-Win!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Najjer said:

Isn't that the point - Big sponsors more than likely won't sponsor at all with an amatuer look. With a more professional image they are more likely to.

I still can't believe more teams (if any now actually) don't try and get sponsorship for fork covers. That is prime spot for every photograph being taken and is cheap to get manufactured. Win-Win!

The problem would be persuading riders who have had sponsors give them hundreds/thousands for various bit of sponsorship on bike covers etc, to take their off and put Club one on. 

If the Club provided the complete Bike and all decals might be different but unlikely in current climate. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Najjer said:

aye, kevin doolan had it sussed last season. backed by someone called K.D !   hit you right in the peepers. those aussies have got it sussed , eh !

9 minutes ago, HGould said:

The problem would be persuading riders who have had sponsors give them hundreds/thousands for various bit of sponsorship on bike covers etc, to take their off and put Club one on. 

If the Club provided the complete Bike and all decals might be different but unlikely in current climate. 

No persuasion needed - That's our rules, so follow them or ride for someone else.

Interesting that Ipswich have revealed they have team suits and matching team bike covers too - with the main team sponsor taking prime spot on the front of the bike covers too.

At Hull in 2005 each rider was issued with 2 fork covers & 2 rear wheel spoilers both of which carried the team sponsor who also featured on the front and back of the body colours and extensivley in the match programme.  Just sayin'....

• Like 1

The only main differences  between the  riders own suits and club ones will be the team colours, each rider tells the manufacture where he wants his own sponsor logos on the suit so basically no real difference , the only time I can remember a club insisting on putting a non sponsor logo  was last year when Glasgow put the Greg Mackie training academy logo on all the suits which all the riders were happy about  , and it also saves the rider £6/700 before the season starts Glasgow have had individual fans sponsor each  suits and they got to keep them when the season is over not that there's much left of it after a season and this year it's Grant Henderson Tankers who has sponsored all the team suits 

Edited by mac101
  • Like 4

It's like "Tumble Weed" blowing through here these days ?  if anyone's interested there's a "Presser and Practice" down the EWR from 5pm tonight !

Speedways back ! meet your fav's at 7pm clubhouse

As far as I know Kev Doolans fork covers are available for short (ie one meeting) or longer term sponcership so that those with very limited amounts of money have the oppotunity to help him and be recognised for it. Anyone interested contact Kev direct. 

• Like 1