British Speedway Forum
ScunnyDan

Scunthorpe 2019

Guest WTF1

They can wear what they like so long as speedway continues at Scunthorpe or anywhere else for that  matter. 

Exactly, and a professional appearance ie racesuits and / or bike covers can only help to that end. 

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Exactly, and a professional appearance ie racesuits and / or bike covers can only help to that end. 

Honestly

To be fair to Rob he could have put them out in Gold Lamé threaded Kevlar's and solid Gold Helmets with fully matched up bike covers and you would still have had a pop as it comes across that you are not one of his biggest fans, just saying like, or is it only my imagination or does anyone else have the same impression.

Went to Buxton once and watched Jason G tear around the spot with his backside hanging out of his race suit and it didn't detract from the racing, (or the crashes for that matter). We did in fact wonder what he would run out of first; bike parts or the duct tape he was using to keep his suit together, but nonetheless the entertainment was first class

I know it is not the case with Scunny; however if the difference of a team running or not was down to matching race suits on a race day; well its a "no brainer" (poke the suits and keep the Speedway) and that is from someone who genuinely likes the matching look (Diamonds retro suits look the part this year) but Worky have never had matching suits ever and it didn't detract from the racing last year and it wasn't the cost of matching suits that done for them this year

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geoff100 said:

Didn't we have race suits in Denham's first season awful orange suits !

No I believe that was what he (Keith) provided for the riders he was personally sponsoring under the "Armstrong Banner" which wasn't the full team, (will stand corrected) and those awful "orange boiler suit" Kevlar's seemed indestructible 3 or 4 riders persisted with them for a long time after they rode for Worky although KD did carry on sponsoring riders even when he sold the club. I remember Roynon, Topinka,  Nermark,  James Wright, Nieminen; Andre Compton amongst others who all sported the Dayglo Orange suits at differing times

Someone who couldn't stand Team Suits was Ian Thomas as he always promoted the individuality of the rider and wanted them in their own colours to differentiate them from other team members; and there was a big debate a few year back to see what the interest was in the club providing team racing suits and I believe it was roughly a 50/50 split of those who thought (like Bagpuss to be fair) that it made the team look more professional; but with many of the remainder citing they preferred the individual look, I suppose you pay your money and take your choice. The one thing I would say is that due to the old peepers not being what they once were I have put the wrong reserve in the programmed change at Newcastle due to one looking exactly like the other guy on more than one occasion as those little dinky numbers on the front can be hard to see at times. 

Wouldn't have had that issue if they were in different suits like eh!

Also who could forget the old leathers with the tassels hanging from the arms, what a fashion statement and you always knew who your rider's were as they usually wore the same colours most of their careers...

Actuality I might be going off matching suits now, need to sit down and have a think about this one... lol

Regards
THJ

Not keen on team suits.

I think back to Oxford in the 1980s, and we had Hans in sleek black leathers, Wiggy in distinctive day-glo green, Cocker in his chequered-leathers, etc.  The leathers were an extension of the personality of each rider. 

Team suits and that's lost.  Not only that, but it's a significant cost that most clubs simply cannot afford.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

To be fair to Rob he could have put them out in Gold Lamé threaded Kevlar's and solid Gold Helmets with fully matched up bike covers and you would still have had a pop as it comes across that you are not one of his biggest fans, just saying like, or is it only my imagination or does anyone else have the same impression.

Went to Buxton once and watched Jason G tear around the spot with his backside hanging out of his race suit and it didn't detract from the racing, (or the crashes for that matter). We did in fact wonder what he would run out of first; bike parts or the duct tape he was using to keep his suit together, but nonetheless the entertainment was first class

I know it is not the case with Scunny; however if the difference of a team running or not was down to matching race suits on a race day; well its a "no brainer" (poke the suits and keep the Speedway) and that is from someone who genuinely likes the matching look (Diamonds retro suits look the part this year) but Worky have never had matching suits ever and it didn't detract from the racing last year and it wasn't the cost of matching suits that done for them this year

Regards
THJ

I have nothing against Rob Godfrey at all but I am a strong advocate of team suits and clubs (any club) in our top two divisions using them as part of giving our sport a much more professional image. I’d be singing from exactly the same hymn sheet if it was my team not using them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No I believe that was what he (Keith) provided for the riders he was personally sponsoring under the "Armstrong Banner" which wasn't the full team, (will stand corrected) and those awful "orange boiler suit" Kevlar's seemed indestructible 3 or 4 riders persisted with them for a long time after they rode for Worky although KD did carry on sponsoring riders even when he sold the club. I remember Roynon, Topinka,  Nermark,  James Wright, Nieminen; Andre Compton amongst others who all sported the Dayglo Orange suits at differing times

Someone who couldn't stand Team Suits was Ian Thomas as he always promoted the individuality of the rider and wanted them in their own colours to differentiate them from other team members; and there was a big debate a few year back to see what the interest was in the club providing team racing suits and I believe it was roughly a 50/50 split of those who thought (like Bagpuss to be fair) that it made the team look more professional; but with many of the remainder citing they preferred the individual look, I suppose you pay your money and take your choice. The one thing I would say is that due to the old peepers not being what they once were I have put the wrong reserve in the programmed change at Newcastle due to one looking exactly like the other guy on more than one occasion as those little dinky numbers on the front can be hard to see at times. 

Also who could forget the old leathers with the tassels hanging from the arms, what a fashion statement and you always knew who your rider's were as they usually wore the same colours most of their careers...

Actuality I might be going off matching suits now, need to sit down and have a think about this one... lol

Regards
THJ

stand to be corrected .jseezw

in what year were  Daniel Nermark , joe haines , kake ,Charles w  and John Branny in the workington team together ?

this was the year when mr Nermark hit Ty Proctors rear wheel  at redcar on the 3rd bend and putting him out of the meeting . 

looks like it was 2008 . thats when the riders wore team suits. there may have been the odd rider who didnt wear the team suits .

but , i stand to be corrected , Honestly .

Edited by jenga
Do I need a reason ?

50 minutes ago, jenga said:

in what year were  Daniel Nermark , joe haines , kake ,Charles w  and John Branny in the workington team together ?

this was the year when mr Nermark hit Ty Proctors rear wheel  at redcar on the 3rd bend and putting him out of the meeting . 

looks like it was 2008 . thats when the riders wore team suits. there may have been the odd rider who didnt wear the team suits .

I was their that night nermark was tossed about like a rag doll kauko was sent for because nermark wasnt speaking english and the doc didnt know if he was ok !

4 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards
THJ

I cam look at most pics from the 70s and u can tell who it is by the leathers and face mask  and handlebars now they all look the same ! Unless i am getting old .

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yep was 2008, remember coming up to watch Lynn get a draw at Worky. 

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Yep was 2008, remember coming up to watch Lynn get a draw at Worky. 

A draw ?? Walking past old trafford one night someone asked the score i said 0-0 the guy said who  missed our penalty !

1 hour ago, jenga said:

You have said exactly the same as me but in reverse... I thought it was 2007 but never mind and if someone opts not to wear a team suit it can't be a team suit can it... jeeezs...

Howay man giz a break... read what av rit... 4 or 5 of the guys had sponsorship which included Kevlars 2 or 3 didn't... a team suit in this reference is 7 riders all wearing the same team colours... doh!

Regards 

THJ 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

I was their that night nermark was tossed about like a rag doll kauko was sent for because nermark wasnt speaking english and the doc didnt know if he was ok !

we were there too ( i think ) .tossed like a doll from a pram !

Edited by jenga

Nermark wore orange (and bright green) before he rode for Workington . 

• Thanks 1