British Speedway Forum
JamesHarris

Is Speedway still viable in the UK?

I may have been away from speedway for a few years now but still keep track of the news and results. One thing that always keeps being mentioned is the declining attendances and tracks closing, most notably my local track at Coventry. The question has to be asked - in 2018 is speedway in the UK still a viable spectator sport?

There will always be the "die-hards"  who attend their local track but these are becoming few and far between. They are passionate about their sport and will preach it to others like a missionary spreading the word of God to a newly discovered Amazon tribe. The majority of these die-hards though are now in their sunset years and to be brutally honest will soon start dropping off. Are the younger "Nando's" generation going to replace them? I think one of the biggest problems Speedway in the UK has now is that it is overpriced for the spectator when there is so much better entertainment on offer to spend one's cash on. What are you getting for your hard earned cash? Are you seeing the worlds best riders every week -errmm NO! What you get is a watered down product dressed up as a Premiership. In fact what is the difference between the Premiership and the Championship? Isn't it just the same riders in different race jackets depending on what night of the week it is? My Step-Father who introduced me to speedway back in the early 90's has often spoken about when he went to Coventry in the 1950's and would see the likes of Ronnie Moore, Slit Waterman, Barry Briggs ect on a weekly basis and the terraces being packed to capacity. Different times yes, but can we go to speedway here now and see Tai Woffinden, Greg Hancock, Nicki Pedersen and so on on a weekly basis? Of cause not. They gave the British league the elbow and probably for good reason too. 

I personally think the seeds for the decline of British speedway were sowed way back in 1995 with the introduction of the Grand Prix. It was only 6 rounds then compared to the 11 or so we have now but what the Grand Prix has done is effectively wiped out top flight Speedway on a Saturday night and with it the Worlds best riders. Weekends are prime time for entertainment and people like to spend their disposable income but want value for money at the same time. Monday and Wednesday nights? your'e having a laugh! OK a few tracks have operated on these race nights for years and have attracted the aforementioned "die-hards" but in future will they attract the Nando's generation who are conscious about going out on a "school night"? We have all seen what switching race nights from a weekend to a weekday has done to Rye House.

Possibly another impact facing speedway now is the value of land for development. I work in the housing sector so I know how land is needed for housing. Brandon will soon be a housing estate - its only a matter of time. If you are the owner of a motor sport oval that is at a loss and you are suddenly offered millions of pounds from a housing developer for your land what would you do? Stick it out and hope that a bunch of regulars will just about cover the costs of your race night or enjoy your retirement on a sun soaked beach in Barbados? I know which one I'd rather do. 

Based on this along with the rising costs for its riders I can only see speedway becoming a semi-professional sport in the UK within 10 years.  The National League or whatever it will be called will thrive just as it has done since 1994 providing the tracks are in country backwaters away from town and city centres. 

So just how could the rot be stopped? Well abolish the BSPA for one and let the sport be run by a professional independent governing body. Stop the practice of the points limit every year. If a club can afford the best riders then so bit it. British speedway has to be one of the rare examples where a team is punished for being successful. Could you imagine a situation where Manchester City won the league and cup one season and were told the next - well done but i'm afraid you have been too good this season so you are going to have to get rid of a couple of your best players and replace them with a couple from League 2. It would never happen and would never be accepted so why should it be accepted in British speedway. It all goes back to the punter wanting value for money and offering a quality product is part and parcel to that. If you had a bad meal at a pub that an enthusiastic regular had been raving on about would you go back to that pub?

I think the practice of doubling up has also killed British speedway. As I have already pointed out above - is it not the same riders in a different race jacket every night? If we are going to carry on stats que then lets jazz it up a bit and give value for money. If they said to me what would you do different then it would be this - In every meeting lets have 3 "Booster Heats" over the 15 races. The numbering of the 3 heats would be drawn at random before the meeting and the only person to know would be the referee. They would be run with a "pairs" point scoring system 4-3-2-0 (I think that's how it works) and would only be announced to the crowd and the riders within 2 minutes of the race so no tactical substitutions could be done. This would encourage team riding in these heats and would do away with the stupid double points joker. Just a thought. 

Anyway thanks for reading my post. I hope speedway can once again be a big spectator sport in this country but it has got to change and change fast.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kelvinlapworth said:

I may have been away from speedway for a few years now but still keep track of the news and results. One thing that always keeps being mentioned is the declining attendances and tracks closing, most notably my local track at Coventry. The question has to be asked - in 2018 is speedway in the UK still a viable spectator sport?

There will always be the "die-hards"  who attend their local track but these are becoming few and far between. They are passionate about their sport and will preach it to others like a missionary spreading the word of God to a newly discovered Amazon tribe. The majority of these die-hards though are now in their sunset years and to be brutally honest will soon start dropping off. Are the younger "Nando's" generation going to replace them? I think one of the biggest problems Speedway in the UK has now is that it is overpriced for the spectator when there is so much better entertainment on offer to spend one's cash on. What are you getting for your hard earned cash? Are you seeing the worlds best riders every week -errmm NO! What you get is a watered down product dressed up as a Premiership. In fact what is the difference between the Premiership and the Championship? Isn't it just the same riders in different race jackets depending on what night of the week it is? My Step-Father who introduced me to speedway back in the early 90's has often spoken about when he went to Coventry in the 1950's and would see the likes of Ronnie Moore, Slit Waterman, Barry Briggs ect on a weekly basis and the terraces being packed to capacity. Different times yes, but can we go to speedway here now and see Tai Woffinden, Greg Hancock, Nicki Pedersen and so on on a weekly basis? Of cause not. They gave the British league the elbow and probably for good reason too. 

I personally think the seeds for the decline of British speedway were sowed way back in 1995 with the introduction of the Grand Prix. It was only 6 rounds then compared to the 11 or so we have now but what the Grand Prix has done is effectively wiped out top flight Speedway on a Saturday night and with it the Worlds best riders. Weekends are prime time for entertainment and people like to spend their disposable income but want value for money at the same time. Monday and Wednesday nights? your'e having a laugh! OK a few tracks have operated on these race nights for years and have attracted the aforementioned "die-hards" but in future will they attract the Nando's generation who are conscious about going out on a "school night"? We have all seen what switching race nights from a weekend to a weekday has done to Rye House.

Possibly another impact facing speedway now is the value of land for development. I work in the housing sector so I know how land is needed for housing. Brandon will soon be a housing estate - its only a matter of time. If you are the owner of a motor sport oval that is at a loss and you are suddenly offered millions of pounds from a housing developer for your land what would you do? Stick it out and hope that a bunch of regulars will just about cover the costs of your race night or enjoy your retirement on a sun soaked beach in Barbados? I know which one I'd rather do. 

Based on this along with the rising costs for its riders I can only see speedway becoming a semi-professional sport in the UK within 10 years.  The National League or whatever it will be called will thrive just as it has done since 1994 providing the tracks are in country backwaters away from town and city centres. 

So just how could the rot be stopped? Well abolish the BSPA for one and let the sport be run by a professional independent governing body. Stop the practice of the points limit every year. If a club can afford the best riders then so bit it. British speedway has to be one of the rare examples where a team is punished for being successful. Could you imagine a situation where Manchester City won the league and cup one season and were told the next - well done but i'm afraid you have been too good this season so you are going to have to get rid of a couple of your best players and replace them with a couple from League 2. It would never happen and would never be accepted so why should it be accepted in British speedway. It all goes back to the punter wanting value for money and offering a quality product is part and parcel to that. If you had a bad meal at a pub that an enthusiastic regular had been raving on about would you go back to that pub?

I think the practice of doubling up has also killed British speedway. As I have already pointed out above - is it not the same riders in a different race jacket every night? If we are going to carry on stats que then lets jazz it up a bit and give value for money. If they said to me what would you do different then it would be this - In every meeting lets have 3 "Booster Heats" over the 15 races. The numbering of the 3 heats would be drawn at random before the meeting and the only person to know would be the referee. They would be run with a "pairs" point scoring system 4-3-2-0 (I think that's how it works) and would only be announced to the crowd and the riders within 2 minutes of the race so no tactical substitutions could be done. This would encourage team riding in these heats and would do away with the stupid double points joker. Just a thought. 

Anyway thanks for reading my post. I hope speedway can once again be a big spectator sport in this country but it has got to change and change fast.  

Unfortunately, times not on its side.

In answer to the Topic headline,  "Is the sport still viable in the UK" I would say in its current format the answer is no, I would suggest that its in crisis, but the reasons for it are many, and varied, so putting more sticking plasters on it are not the answer.Here are just a few of the things which have contributed to Speedway being in Crisis.

GPs,

Riders costs for machinery & maintenance,

Riders wages,

Doubling up & down,

Admission Cost,

Fixed race nights,

and now we have the medical cover situation thats causing even more problems, and may be insurmountable to overcome.

the BSPA has proven itself to be not fit for purpose over the last few years, and needs to be scrapped.

Those in my humble opinion are just a few of the main points that need to be addressed if there is to be any sort of revival, even if it means going to machinery thats less powerful than whats used at present.

Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

In answer to the Topic headline,  "Is the sport still viable in the UK" I would say in its current format the answer is no, I would suggest that its in crisis, but the reasons for it are many, and varied, so putting more sticking plasters on it are not the answer.Here are just a few of the things which have contributed to Speedway being in Crisis.

GPs,

Riders wages,

Doubling up & down,

Admission Cost,

Fixed race nights,

and now we have the medical cover situation thats causing even more problems, and may be insurmountable to overcome.

the BSPA has proven itself to be not fit for purpose over the last few years, and needs to be scrapped.

Those in my humble opinion are just a few of the main points that need to be addressed if there is to be any sort of revival, even if it means going to machinery thats less powerful than whats used at present.

agree with everything you say and would add the stranglehold Poland has on our talent. Terrible example of the lengths they'll go to last night.Missing UK meetings for practice sessions, etc. Riding in both countries is becoming impossible

• Like 1

Poland is the number one reason the top riders arent in the uk.

That, along witb the failure to realise we are in the 21st century, are the maim contributirs to the decline of british domestic speedway imo

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

GPs,

Riders wages,

Doubling up & down,

Admission Cost,

Fixed race nights,

You can't scrap the BSPA, they own the sport in this country and I can't imagine them putting the control of their investments into someone else's hands. There are plans to reduce rider standards in order to reduce costs, the grumblers on here are already moaning that admission prices should be reduced as a consequence but that would simply defeat the object. I can see the sport going semi-pro eventually but I think it'll continue.

• Thanks 1

Is it viable?

I actually think it is...

However not in its current guise, due to the lack of credibility in the way an inherently 'individual' Sport is shoe horned into an unfit for purpose 'team concept' (in the UK)..

The NSS delivers great Speedway and plays out in front of around an average of I would say 1200 or so, twenty times a year, with a good several hundred 'fans' missing each week due to the League meetings only being qualifiers for an end of season cup comp, and with an often random selection of riders on view that may or may not be affiliated to your team...

Charging £25 for me and my teenage lad is asking a lot to watch something so contrived I would suggest..

Yet charging £25 for us both say ten times a year to watch individual meetings of a 'decent standard' could be quite profitable if promoted well...

Probably no 'superstars' due to Poland, but running at weekends could just maybe bring in 2500-3000 or so at the NSS for example. Thus giving a much improved perception of the Sport generally to the outsider/casual visitor..

Stock Car Promoters seem to do alright using this concept so maybe Speedway (in the UK) should follow it...

It doesn't need to be the same Promoters at the same track either, maybe you could get some willing to Promote 'one off' meetings at a track which they hire, where they give it real marketing and promotion and possibly even invite several 'superstars' occasionally try and entice extra fans in?

Utopia of course would be an operating model which Poland have, ie quality over quantity within a Team Framework, but that is simply not going to happen, therefore British Speedway needs to adapt and find a format that brings people in, many of whom know much about the Sport but have become dissilusioned with it..

Cardiff, each year, shows that the Sport can attract very good crowds..

The SWC at the NSS the other year showed the Sport can attract very good crowds...

The Play Offs no doubt will show that the Sport can attract very good crowds...

Maybe more entrepreneurs could attract very good crowds on a 'less is more' basis..?

Could a decent troupe of any 16 from 60 or 70 graded riders going around the Country riding Friday, Saturday and Sunday, all picking up an average of say a grand a night, from a total minimum Prize Pot of say circa £20-25k, deliver decent crowds? 

Possibly running several meetings as part of a National Title? Something akin to BSB?

2500 adults at £15 would deliver a good return....

Team racing is definitely a busted flush (over here) as too much damage has been inflicted for it to ever gain back credibility for me, and whatever next seasons operating model will bring will again, no doubt, be not radical enough with yet more cobbled together, halfway house, unfit for purpose, variations on a theme...

However, the actual Sport itself still possesses absolutely tremendous positive attributes from a spectating perspective..

It just needs to find a way to utilise them....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, mikebv said:

not in its current guise

NO! Definitely not in it's current guise ( or even another one much like it ). But we ( the fans ) are never going to get a say about it unless and until clubs run out of medium-sized sponsors.

Speedway will carry on but not in it's present guise. There are many problems affecting the sport that need addressing unfortunately no one is listening and they carry on regardless.

Making an analogy with failing retail business's presents a wonderful example. Increase prices, close customer services, sell something inferior and wait for the customers to pour through the doors? 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2018 at 9:39 AM, greyhoundp said:

GPs,

Riders wages,

Doubling up & down,

Admission Cost,

Fixed race nights,

Agree about the medical cover it seems to be a growing problem at some tracks.

Just sitting on my lunch browsing this at work.

I asked around the office and nobody could think of any other sports where competitors are graded or given averages and then penalised at the end of  the year for winning by having to lose half their team.

In other sports eg football a colleague suggested the leagues were sorted by who people could afford to have play for them, hence why Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc are usually high top league finishers.

Equality doesn't come into it you usually just support your local or favourite team because you want to and you can get to see them frequently.

I've no solutions to offer, you can't make speedway work in the UK like it does in Poland with a younger audience.

In its current guise its doomed to die, its never going to work again like it did in the past, the whole product, rules, etc have to change or it'll have disappeared within 10 years.

Spot on,  But when it’s the promoters money on the table it’s little wonder there scared to experiment with it.

This forum has people who are full of great ideas and I believe most of the ideas would benefit British speedway but

when it’s not your dough it’s very easy to speculate.

But one things for sure if you don’t listen to your paying customers they will eventually disappear!

55 minutes ago, ChrisSimpson said:

In its current guise its doomed to die, its never going to work again like it did in the past, the whole product, rules, etc have to change or it'll have disappeared within 10 years.

I'll give it five, without radical change.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, mikebv said:

Is it viable?

I actually think it is...

However not in its current guise, due to the lack of credibility in the way an inherently 'individual' Sport is shoe horned into an unfit for purpose 'team concept' (in the UK)..

The NSS delivers great Speedway and plays out in front of around an average of I would say 1200 or so, twenty times a year, with a good several hundred 'fans' missing each week due to the League meetings only being qualifiers for an end of season cup comp, and with an often random selection of riders on view that may or may not be affiliated to your team...

Charging £25 for me and my teenage lad is asking a lot to watch something so contrived I would suggest..

Yet charging £25 for us both say ten times a year to watch individual meetings of a 'decent standard' could be quite profitable if promoted well...

Probably no 'superstars' due to Poland, but running at weekends could just maybe bring in 2500-3000 or so at the NSS for example. Thus giving a much improved perception of the Sport generally to the outsider/casual visitor..

Stock Car Promoters seem to do alright using this concept so maybe Speedway (in the UK) should follow it...

It doesn't need to be the same Promoters at the same track either, maybe you could get some willing to Promote 'one off' meetings at a track which they hire, where they give it real marketing and promotion and possibly even invite several 'superstars' occasionally try and entice extra fans in?

Utopia of course would be an operating model which Poland have, ie quality over quantity within a Team Framework, but that is simply not going to happen, therefore British Speedway needs to adapt and find a format that brings people in, many of whom know much about the Sport but have become dissilusioned with it..

Cardiff, each year, shows that the Sport can attract very good crowds..

The SWC at the NSS the other year showed the Sport can attract very good crowds...

The Play Offs no doubt will show that the Sport can attract very good crowds...

Maybe more entrepreneurs could attract very good crowds on a 'less is more' basis..?

Could a decent troupe of any 16 from 60 or 70 graded riders going around the Country riding Friday, Saturday and Sunday, all picking up an average of say a grand a night, from a total minimum Prize Pot of say circa £20-25k, deliver decent crowds? 

Possibly running several meetings as part of a National Title? Something akin to BSB?

2500 adults at £15 would deliver a good return....

Team racing is definitely a busted flush (over here) as too much damage has been inflicted for it to ever gain back credibility for me, and whatever next seasons operating model will bring will again, no doubt, be not radical enough with yet more cobbled together, halfway house, unfit for purpose, variations on a theme...

However, the actual Sport itself still possesses absolutely tremendous positive attributes from a spectating perspective..

It just needs to find a way to utilise them....

As a speedway fan of 46 years (and this is just my point of view)if speedway goes the way of a troupe of riders picked at random from a group of 60 or so then for me speedway will be a thing of the past.

As with any sport you need a team or an individual to support in team speedway I support Belle vue in individual meetings I tend to support Belle vue riders, in the G P i support Woffinden because he is British or any other Brit plus any rider who ride's/rode for Belle vue and I get a buzz if any of the riders I support wins a race or the meeting etc without a team or rider to support where is the meaning where does the buzz or disappointment come from.Without a team how would you form a bond with a rider for you to support him in a individual meeting so without someone to follow it would just be 20 races with no meaning with the odd great pass/race to enjoy but that would be it for me.

I watch the Polish/Swedish league on TV but if I am honest I enjoy the odd great race and a race with a Belle vue rider in it but without the passion of watching my team or if watching a British league match which has meaning because the result affects my teams place in the table.I can honestly say in a lot of meetings I can sadly see why a lot of people say that its gate and go and that speedway is boring.

So in my eyes team speedway keeps me going every week because having a team to support gives me a passion for the sport and every meeting i watch means something.

Just one other point you mention the great crowds at Cardiff.This is a one off meeting held once a year and fans from all the clubs in Britain attend plus for a lot its their only meeting of the year.If they had 10 meetings a year at Cardiff with the best riders in the world let alone a random line up from a pool of 20 riders do you think they would get anywhere near the numbers they get for a one off meeting I don't.

Again the above is just my opinion but it just shows what a tough job the BSPA have in front of them for every change the make one fan will love it the other will hate it, good luck to them.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2018 at 2:44 PM, kelvinlapworth said:

In the case of Woffinden and hancock  they gave british speedway the elbow because neither of them have any integrtity nor loyalty / gratitude  to the country/supporters ,that gave them the opportunity in the first place ,