British Speedway Forum
JamesHarris

Is Speedway still viable in the UK?

2 hours ago, B.V 72 said:

As a speedway fan of 46 years (and this is just my point of view)if speedway goes the way of a troupe of riders picked at random from a group of 60 or so then for me speedway will be a thing of the past.

As with any sport you need a team or an individual to support in team speedway I support Belle vue in individual meetings I tend to support Belle vue riders, in the G P i support Woffinden because he is British or any other Brit plus any rider who ride's/rode for Belle vue and I get a buzz if any of the riders I support wins a race or the meeting etc without a team or rider to support where is the meaning where does the buzz or disappointment come from.Without a team how would you form a bond with a rider for you to support him in a individual meeting so without someone to follow it would just be 20 races with no meaning with the odd great pass/race to enjoy but that would be it for me.

I watch the Polish/Swedish league on TV but if I am honest I enjoy the odd great race and a race with a Belle vue rider in it but without the passion of watching my team or if watching a British league match which has meaning because the result affects my teams place in the table.I can honestly say in a lot of meetings I can sadly see why a lot of people say that its gate and go and that speedway is boring.

So in my eyes team speedway keeps me going every week because having a team to support gives me a passion for the sport and every meeting i watch means something.

Just one other point you mention the great crowds at Cardiff.This is a one off meeting held once a year and fans from all the clubs in Britain attend plus for a lot its their only meeting of the year.If they had 10 meetings a year at Cardiff with the best riders in the world let alone a random line up from a pool of 20 riders do you think they would get anywhere near the numbers they get for a one off meeting I don't.

Again the above is just my opinion but it just shows what a tough job the BSPA have in front of them for every change the make one fan will love it the other will hate it, good luck to them.

But sadly team speedway is nothing of the sort in Britain anymore, hence I cannot see any successful future for it...

TV coverage of Poland and Sweden only highlights even more the absurdity of what is constantly cobbled together over here, where septets are manufactured ad infintum from various other teams, and the coverage does the UK's version of 'Team Speedway' few favours..

There are those like yourself who are willing to 'collude' with Promoters to still see it as a bona fide 'team sport', and absolutely each to their own, however it is an every decreasing number who now see 'Team Speedway' in the UK as 'something real'....

Hopefully these people can stay around long enough to one day see it ran properly, and who knows, eventually see their loyalty and devotion rewarded...

Whats not in dispute is that the raw material of the Sport is great....

It's just that the raw material isnt utilised well enough in Britain to ever give it a chance to be successful sadly..

Edited by mikebv

Early next year we will no longer be part of the EU. Does this mean that Polish, Swedish, Danish, German, etc riders will need to finish in their national championships top 4 to qualify for permission to work here. Will the authorities refuse all other permits until all British riders are employed? What effect would that have on the leagues and team strengths? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

Imo...speedway is dying because 'other' sports are so much more popular....and speedway can't compete with the competition for 'new blood' through the turnstiles!

Other sports such as F1/Football/Cricket/Rugby have all progressed to a totally new level  and  League speedway, has gone backwards.

I'm only a fan/follower because I've been brought up on the sport and it's in my blood.....none of the Premiership matches (our 'so called' TOP division) that I've seen on BT this season have floated my boat !?

I don''t know the answers....but the speedway product is really poor ! 

(p.s with the exception of Heat 13 at BV v Somerset last week? :D Max Fricke was brilliant!) need more races like that !

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Thanks 1

whilst this point is very small, if we just take the golden helmet match race...excellent draw in the 70s, it worked well..once a month...the opposing rider wasn't even in the nights meeting, he would travel up/down JUST for the match race..then this got tampered with, where the holder had to defend it every week. this killed it off big time..and with no offence to these (selected names), would Danny King verses Brady Kurtz be as mouth watering as Ole Olsen verses Michael Lee? 

• Like 1

Speedway is unique in that generally the fans know little about the machines and technical side of the bikes. Perhaps the sport needs to reach out more to a different broader audience?

On 9/13/2018 at 9:51 AM, GiveusaB said:

I'm only a fan/follower because I've been brought up on the sport and it's in my blood.....none of the Premiership matches (our 'so called' TOP division) that I've seen on BT this season have floated my boat !?

I don''t know the answers....but the speedway product is really poor ! 

(p.s with the exception of Heat 13 at BV v Somerset last week? :D Max Fricke was brilliant!) need more races like that !

Me too. If you were taken as a child to a well-packed stadium and the (then) fast seeming, close racing was addictive. My parents got me addicted in the 1950's and I am only now able to nearly shake off that routine attendance. Ove Fundin was my "dealer". You still, 60 years later, lust after the next exciting, close race full of passing, as in the now legendary Haet 13 BV V Somerset. And you detest the numerous tapes to flag races you have to endure.

yes i think it is viable,why people dont go i have no idea!!

Ive seen one  meeting all yeat that was crap[Swindon dust bowl on TV] and the rest have been excellent meeting with competative racing on decent tracks

seen all Scunnys home meetings,been at Sheffied many times,Redcar,P`boro plus all TV and i must say they have been really good,one of the best seasons entertainment ive seen for a few years

Then reading on here threads from Glasgow,Workington, Ipswich where good racing was reported

to be frank im not really sure what more promotions can do than to but on a decent meetings on well prepped tracks

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, montie said:

yes i think it is viable,why people dont go i have no idea!!

Ive seen one  meeting all yeat that was crap[Swindon dust bowl on TV] and the rest have been excellent meeting with competative racing on decent tracks

seen all Scunnys home meetings,been at Sheffied many times,Redcar,P`boro plus all TV and i must say they have been really good,one of the best seasons entertainment ive seen for a few years

Then reading on here threads from Glasgow,Workington, Ipswich where good racing was reported

to be frank im not really sure what more promotions can do than to but on a decent meetings on well prepped tracks

One time speedway and grass track rider, Reg Luckhurst (father of Jamie and Jeremy), was quoted as saying same in the latest edition of 'Backtrack'!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

There is too much unrealistic expectation of the sport.

We have tried to compete with Poland and Sweden with an ‘Elite’ league that profited the riders but was too expensive to maintain.

League structures have changed to reflect the diminishing rider quality and base. Sweden is in poor health rider wise and Denmark get by with 5 man teams.

Speedway is what it is and without team racing it’s gone, at least from the UK so go back to basics and start again.

• Like 1

A great thread, full of reasoned well written opinions, some with which I agree and some not.

I am absolutely against doubling up, points limits and guests BUT.............................

Speedway depends on racing being exciting and that means close.  So that means the four riders in each race have to be of a similar ability.

As a few have mentioned, other sports like football have sporting purity in that the teams can only build within their means and are not penalised for success however you could have two mismatched teams and possibly still get an exciting game, even a giant killing, whereas in Speedway, every single heat will be a procession with 20 yards between each rider.

Therefore, a wider pool of riders needs to be available with a closer level of ability

Conference league teams should never be run at tracks on their own because it is an inferior product and will only attract die-hards ( who I agree, are disappearing) and anyone new to the sport will be left with a bad impression.

The team element is a very exciting and marketable idea if done well (Speedway promoters have never done it well) - Do team managers tell their riders to team ride and berate them if they get away from the tapes and clear off to leave their team mate at the back for a 3-3??

These days, so many people identify with football teams and even American football and basketball teams, the team identity is an attractive thing and should be seized upon by promotions

Edited by Hammer
  • Like 2

I was interested to read about some attendances in this week's SS. Against all the doom and gloom merchants on the BSF, Leicester are reporting very good crowds - despite languishing at the bottom of the Premiership (and with claims of poor racing!!)

Somerset have reported no drop in crowd numbers by switching to Mons/Weds plus increased numbers as the season has progressed and their success has been recognised..

Belle Vue fans reckon that numbers have increased progressively through the season.

Poole's crowds whilst dwindling at the start of the season have now picked up considerably once their play-off place has been assured - and the club is financially stable..

Swindon and Wolves? - Both owners have intimated they wish to continue in the sport's top level and don't want to be dictated to by the Championship teams!!.

That leaves Kings Lynn - top of the Premiership and presumably wanting to defend their 'title' next season?!  What about their crowds in their best season for years?

Not sure what any of that means in the overall scheme of things.......?

Edited by Skidder1

The only thing Im sure of is that Skidder isnt sure of anything :lol:

One league next year,six man teams and reduced prices to get fans back. Riders pay will have to reflect that. Golden helmet returns ??? 

Lynn is good too. I was going to say I think it’s still viable at some tracks.

the speedway star is bitter over track closures and rightfully so. I feel as the Coventry closure probably causes then a few hundred copies. Now lakeside too. I don’t think support is dwindling at all tracks and encouragingly at lynn when we did have a low low there was still a decent hardcore at lynn who still turned up regardless. 

But we will pander to the weak. Dilute the product and keep the attendance cost the same and not advertise properly at some tracks and scratch our heads wondering why it’s all going wrong. 6 rider teams in 1league won’t solve that. 

Id keep the current system for another year. And would only dilute the middle tier by about 5 points but reflect that in admission charges. maybe bring in the reserve draft at that level. As that’s where I’m hearing most teams are struggling. Rye house were in the wrong league with over enthusiastic promoters who lost interest so that don’t count. 

• Like 1