British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest WTF1

Newcastle v Scunthorpe CL 9/9/2018

Guest WTF1

Although no one interested in this meeting on here well done to Scunny on an away win 46-42 at Newcastle in their last Championship league match, seems it was a night of many riders falling. on both sides. 

Well done Scunny, Newcastle only seemed to have bad luck last night but rallied at the end.  The ref was rubbishe last night and that is me being kind.

Great to watch Garrity again, would love to see him as a Diamonds, fantastic value for money.  Great to see Steve back again and riding well, but not great and I thought Gino had one of his best visit to Brough.  Matty Wethers was fantastic for the Diamonds, hope Matej is OK and it is nothing serious. Great last heat 5-1 to restore some pride and make the score more respectable.

Honestly

Micheal Breckon had a nightmare in the referees box, when Jason skittled Aarnio and Kus in heat 3 and wasn't excluded was a shocker although Jason made me laugh with his comment to Christian Henry in the pits waiting for the restart when he said "they lent on me so a had to send them didn't I". Also in there haste to repair the air fence one of the track staff stood on poor Matej Kus whilst lying prostrate on the track with a leg injury and subsequently he was pulled from the meeting but the best laugh was when announcer Barry Wallace on seeing the Red exclusion light spinning said over the mike "hang on; don,t fill your programme in yet I think the ref has pressed the wrong button I will just ring him up and check" on the Aarnio exclusion in Heat 8; honestly PMSL but  you knew then it was only going to go one way.

Steve Worrall Josh Auty and Jason all put a shift in and the other three had a go and had their moments supporting the main heat leaders; also the 3 points Danny Phillips got might have been gifts but you have to stay on the bike and finish the race to get those points so fair play to him.  It's a pity Scunny have been robbed for large parts of the season of their top riders due to injury as I believe they could have been in the play off mix with this team if they could have fielded their regular seven for the bulk of season rather than relying on guests and R/R. Good side when all firing together but hasn't really had the chance to develop this year. Newcastle on the other hand gave this one away to my mind Ludvig had night to forget and looked a rather forlorn sight in the bar afterwards and definitely not his usual self and in total contrast to his meeting the week previous when he got a 15 point maximum, then of course losing Kus after not getting beyond the first bend of his first race also had a major impact and notwithstanding the referee it all adds up to a disappointing evening and leaves a somewhat bad taste in the mouth.

Well done Scunny got the job done in a professional manner and like to old advertisement said "Just like the Murphy's I'm not Bitter" (well not much anyway; two bob bit referees in a professional sport) (Oops sorry just slipped out Literary Tourette's) 

Regards
THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,

I sense a general feeling of apathy amongst many Diamonds supporters at present e.g. no-one bothered to start a thread on this fixture until a few hours after the match finished and another lacklustre end to a miserable season. What a pity when a few riders in the team have made a great effort to do their very best when others have made perceivably little or none. Tero, Matty, Wilko and Robbo were tremendous last night against a very strong Scunthorpe team and at least looked as if they were genuinely trying. Heat 15 was probably the best this season at Brough. Suspect this may be Ludo's last year as a Diamond. Hope Matej makes a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aceslider said:

I sense a general feeling of apathy amongst many Diamonds supporters at present e.g. no-one bothered to start a thread on this fixture until a few hours after the match finished and another lacklustre end to a miserable season. What a pity when a few riders in the team have made a great effort to do their very best when others have made perceivably little or none. Tero, Matty, Wilko and Robbo were tremendous last night against a very strong Scunthorpe team and at least looked as if they were genuinely trying. Heat 15 was probably the best this season at Brough. Suspect this may be Ludo's last year as a Diamond. Hope Matej makes a speedy recovery.

I sensed apathy within Newcastles' team on Saturday......that was the worst Diamonds effort I have seen at Derwent Park (haven't seen them all mind)...although one of the riders perked up greatly when riding as a guest in the second match, which seemed rather strange???

Given the historical past at Brough Park will 2019 be on the cards for Diamonds? ( or Comets....or/or/or/or..sad times ahead?)

I can't comment on the events at Brough Park last night, but having been at Derwent Park on Saturday night, there were at best two Diamonds' riders putting in an effort. The rest were seemingly disinterested and going through the motions.

To have one rider score nearly half the team total on Saturday night says a lot...

2 hours ago, singy13 said:

I sensed apathy within Newcastle's' team on Saturday......that was the worst Diamonds effort I have seen at Derwent Park (haven't seen them all mind)...although one of the riders perked up greatly when riding as a guest in the second match, which seemed rather strange???

Given the historical past at Brough Park will 2019 be on the cards for Diamonds? ( or Comets....or/or/or/or..sad times ahead?)

Honestly

It must have been the same apathy I sensed at Edinburgh on the 30th of August when I trialled up there and had to watch a Workington team get humped 65 - 25 off the Monarchs (two points less than the Diamonds) and after having only been up there in  early June and seeing the Comets win a good match by two points in the Shield; and here was me thinking that they would have "perked up" for that second visit buoyed in the knowledge that they had already had a win up there.  

Funny old sport in'it?

Regards
THJ

19 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

It must have been the same apathy I sensed at Edinburgh on the 30th of August when I trialled up there and had to watch a Workington team get humped 65 - 25 off the Monarchs (two points less than the Diamonds) and after having only been up there in  early June and seeing the Comets win a good match by two points in the Shield; and here was me thinking that they would have "perked up" for that second visit buoyed in the knowledge that they had already had a win up there.  

Funny old sport in'it?

Regards
THJ

I think the Derwent Park track is a favourable racing circuit for the majority of riders in the sport.....unlike that at the 'Blue painted rusty corrugated tin sheeting arena'......think the 'Dan' effect took its toll that night.

59 minutes ago, singy13 said:

I think the Derwent Park track is a favourable racing circuit for the majority of riders in the sport.....unlike that at the 'Blue painted rusty corrugated tin sheeting arena'......think the 'Dan' effect took its toll that night.

Honestly

It had nothing to do with Dan being injured....

Regards
THJ

2 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

It had nothing to do with Dan being injured....

Regards
THJ

Trick track torture?

Just now, singy13 said:

Trick track torture?

Honestly

PMSL and honestly "Trick Track" had nothing to do with it, the track could have been square, round or dodecahedron; attitude was the issue from the first run round the track to wave at the fans. Had a long chat with some of the riders from both sides at the return meeting at DP and others who were there and the differing opinions were wide ranging but its done and gone, lets see what happens when Worky are back up there for the next round of the KO Cup. Be interesting to see if they up there game 

Regards
THJ