British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bryce

BBC Sports Personality Stitch Up

All been pointless to me for years now, stopped watching it a long while back. Just a money making machine now via phone calls.

• Like 2

On 10/8/2018 at 9:56 AM, OveFundinFan said:

All been pointless to me for years now, stopped watching it a long while back. Just a money making machine now via phone calls.

For many years you have been able to vote for free online. I believe that is where the vast majority of people chose to do so.

To pay 15p to vote by phone would be an option ... If you were either wishing to donate it to Children in Need ... Or just a bit thick!

Didn’t know that GC, now that might influence my thinking as to whether I vote, now let me think........... er, NO

Briggo's runner up place in '66 has been well documented and speculated over.

Some say he actually won, but the idea of a speedway rider winning in the year that England won the football world cup was not what the BBC was prepared to accept.

Supposedly. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, keepturningleft said:

Briggo's runner up place in '66 has been well documented and speculated over.

Some say he actually won, but the idea of a speedway rider winning in the year that England won the football world cup was not what the BBC was prepared to accept.

Supposedly. 

Briggo's 'success' in 1966 was a result of a campaign run by the Speedway Star for all readers to vote for him to promote the sport in the media.

I recall reading an article in the Sunday Mirror by a journalist named Sam Leitch condemning the result because Barry Bloggs (sic) was not a household name and that in his opinion Briggo’s second place was not a true reflection of his place in sporting history. It led to a flood of mail from irate speedway fans saying that Sam ‘Bleach’  (who also worked as a sports presenter on the BBC) had no idea  just how popular the sport was.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Split said:

Briggo's 'success' in 1966 was a result of a campaign run by the Speedway Star for all readers to vote for him to promote the sport in the media.

I recall reading an article in the Sunday Mirror by a journalist named Sam Leitch condemning the result because Barry Bloggs (sic) was not a household name and that in his opinion Briggo’s second place was not a true reflection of his place in sporting history. It led to a flood of mail from irate speedway fans saying that Sam ‘Bleach’  (who also worked as a sports presenter on the BBC) had no idea  just how popular the sport was.

Yes, I remember that well.

Never the less he was really correct.No matter how popular speedway was in 1966 it wasn’t as popular as the football World Cup and the England team.And even if Briggo was by far the most popular speedway rider,he wasn’t as popular as the most popular football players,was he?

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Never the less he was really correct.No matter how popular speedway was in 1966 it wasn’t as popular as the football World Cup and the England team.And even if Briggo was by far the most popular speedway rider,he wasn’t as popular as the most popular football players,was he?

Whilst that is probably true, there is no point in opening it up to popular vote then. Why not just choose the winner in the same way they choose the team or the overseas player of the year?

6 minutes ago, norbold said:

Whilst that is probably true, there is no point in opening it up to popular vote then. Why not just choose the winner in the same way they choose the team or the overseas player of the year?

I think the same way sports have rules.They naively expect people to play fairly.They obviously didn’t think one sport might make a campaign to get one person voted,just as sports expect people to play fair and not cheat

A campaign is a form of cheating.I well imagine a number of speedway riders the year before all had a small but decent support, then all of a sudden Briggo got massive support and the other riders probably only got a handful of votes between them.Stuck out like. a sore thumb,I bet

Edited by iris123