British Speedway Forum

Reading the article could or does imply that this could be matts last season at poole will be interesting to see how it all works out 

Perhaps he is awaiting the outcome of the BSPA AGM in Nov to decide whether to move on.

If he doesn't like the outcome of what is decided and if they decide to water down/weaken and push out World or potentially World class talent for a lower level product, he may decide it really is time to go.

I believe Matt is the kind of guy who may prefer to let teams sign their own talent similar to what POL/Swe do with no points limits and maybe a 1/2 young home grown rider to compliment similar to the way they do in POL.

With so many rumours flying around on what may happen in 2019, I wonder if as a promoter he already has a heads up on what is planned, and maybe he doesn't like the way its going.

Can't believe internal meetings have not already taken place among promoters and the powers that be as to what may be in store for 2019. Rumours and comments are already starting to slip out so maybe a draft has already been proposed ahead of the AGM.

Having said that we all know Matt is a master of utilising the local media to put a positive spin on the club and his own position. He is hardly going to undersell the asset, but most of us know ultimately its a question of how potential interests view the viability of the sport going forward. Even if is a solvent business, Speedway is not the sport it was 10 or even 5 year ago with many teetering on the brink with little sign of an upward turn in fortunes going forward. Would anyone be willing to purchase a club under those circumstances ?? - Even someone with deep pockets. I have big doubts on that score.

If Ford leaves Poole, that's bad news all round for the club. No other businessman will run it the way he has and with the uncertainty over the stadium he will find it extremely difficult to find a buyer imo.

Whist nobody wants clubs to close down, if Poole do, there's certainly an element of reap what you sow. Peterborough and Coventry fans will understand what's meant by that.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

If Ford leaves Poole, that's bad news all round for the club. No other businessman will run it the way he has and with the uncertainty over the stadium he will find it extremely difficult to find a buyer imo.

Whist nobody wants clubs to close down, if Poole do, there's certainly an element of reap what you sow. Peterborough and Coventry fans will understand what's meant by that.

Agree. Bad news for Poole if he jacks it in. He has done his best for himself and the club. But I don't think he will imho. The threat of quitting might help some things go his way in the next AGM. Add to that, what is the club worth? What will actually be for sale ?. And how does he value it?, wrong time to try and sell a good club, but with a rented venue.

What ever happens the main thing for UK speedway is that Poole lines up in 2019 and i'm confident they will.

The mind boggles.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

Agree. Bad news for Poole if he jacks it in. He has done his best for himself and the club. But I don't think he will imho. The threat of quitting might help some things go his way in the next AGM. Add to that, what is the club worth? What will actually be for sale ?. And how does he value it?, wrong time to try and sell a good club, but with a rented venue.

What ever happens the main thing for UK speedway is that Poole lines up in 2019 and i'm confident they will.

The mind boggles.

Had the same thoughts, leased stadium, assets with no value if the league standard gets lower. All that's for sale are two old tractors and a BSPA licence, even that may be worthless if clubs like Rye House have theirs for sale. 

Edited by MARK246
Spelling
  • Like 2

Large box of tissues for Gavan, anyone?!

The article states that there is another commercial project that has seriously interested Matt Ford (Shame its not buying into Ipswich, just to picture Gavan's reaction!!) so now it will come down to whether another businessman (men) matches MF's valuation of the club - together with some security of tenure over the stadium development.

After a bit googling, I didn't realise Matt is his middle name. His actual name is Cecil :o

Has his hand in a nursery called Nemo's currently, so maybe looking to expand that road of interest.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

After a bit googling, I didn't realise Matt is his middle name. His actual name is Cecil :o

Has his hand in a nursery called Nemo's currently, so maybe looking to expand that road of interest.

He don't look like a Cecil :blink:

3 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Large box of tissues for Gavan, anyone?!

The article states that there is another commercial project that has seriously interested Matt Ford (Shame its not buying into Ipswich, just to picture Gavan's reaction!!) so now it will come down to whether another businessman (men) matches MF's valuation of the club - together with some security of tenure over the stadium development.

Wouldnt want any club to fold..................and certainly wouldnt want Matt Ford at Ipswich

9 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Wouldnt want any club to fold..................and certainly wouldnt want Matt Ford at Ipswich

Even if he made Ipswich the best team in the championship 

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

What a stupid thing to say. 

• Like 3