British Speedway Forum

41 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

What a stupid thing to say. 

Im not sure why we are talking about this. We still have 2018 play off's to go yet, and nothing is done till its done.  ;)

9 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Im not sure why we are talking about this. We still have 2018 play off's to go yet, and nothing is done till its done.  ;)

Seems like “head in the sand” response from somebody who might be looking for something else to do on Wednesday evenings in 2019.

I heard rumours this was coming and decided to make a return to forum after confirmation came elsewhere.

As an ex-Coventry fan I would like to offer my commiserations to some of the Poole supporters on here. If Ford goes it will be a big loss to Poole but you Poole fans will know that he will have the left the sport in a much better position than when he became involved in it! His service to the well being of the sport and its fair and honest running is second to none (and none is pretty bad).

Oh, and if the stadium is unfortunately converted to student flats or a Wetherspoons I suggest a certain Mr Shovlar could come up with a good name for the new facility.

Must go and get a tissue to wipe my tears away!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

Even if he made Ipswich the best team in the championship 

Doesn’t bother me wether we are the best or not

The sport as a whole is what matters not just one club.

Ive always said Matt Ford has been good for Poole as a business but he certainly isn’t good for the sport as a whole and it has to be said that some of Pooles title wins have had controversy about them.

So no I would rather have my club run the way it is right now and keep the sport running

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Ive always said Matt Ford has been good for Poole as a business but he certainly isn’t good for the sport as a whole and it has to be said that some of Pooles title wins have had controversy about them.

So no I would rather have my club run the way it is right now and keep the sport running

Matt runs his club how he see's fit . Yup all 7 league titles start counting...:party:

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

The word is ‘whether’. ;)

If 10 clubs had 10 Fords I believe the sport could be in a much better place. Yes he has created controversy, who hasn’t in this game? Appears he’s had enough. Love or loathe, Poole have set the standard for several years. If they go it will be much worse than it is now. In my opinion. 

Edited by Hodgy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

Matt runs his club how he see's fit . Yup all 7 league titles start counting...:party:

All promoters run their club as they see fit.... Why wouldn't they.

Matt wants to win at all costs, we know that...Same as most of the fans....Why wouldn't he, it makes him money... He made money as a result of winning. Hence win at all costs... Could it be now that Poole can't dominate and the crowds are down, he is making little or no money. So no point, in his eyes...Can't see Ford plugging on for the passion of Poole speedway, or the sport in general, like lots of promoters seem to do for UK speedway.

Either that or he wants to influence the AGM in his favour.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

Poole have the best destination for speedway only Poole fc and maybe Southampton as a competitor.Ford has done a great job for Poole and himself but has he been good for the sport as a whole??? i have my doubts.I dont agree with the win at all costs mentality the first priority for me is to get the entertainment level right winning and losing come after.Are people happy to see crap everyweek but go home happy because they are winning? i go to see good racing winning/ losing means nothing to me how important is winning to fans.?

4 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Poole have the best destination for speedway only Poole fc and maybe Southampton as a competitor.Ford has done a great job for Poole and himself but has he been good for the sport as a whole??? i have my doubts.I dont agree with the win at all costs mentality the first priority for me is to get the entertainment level right winning and losing come after.Are people happy to see crap everyweek but go home happy because they are winning? i go to see good racing winning/ losing means nothing to me how important is winning to fans.?

AFC Bournemouth are a premier league football club. Forgot about them?:rolleyes: Five miles from Wimborne Road. About the same distance STFC is from Blunsdon. A bit different in status though. What have The Robins got to challenge them? 

As many have said, if the promoters were all like Matt the sport would be thriving in the UK. Easily the best current promoter in the country and has been since the start of the millennium.

Sport is for winning. People who say win at all costs mentality is bad clearly support a team with little in the way of trophies in the cabint over the years, as winning is everything in sport.

We are lucky to have a combination of Matt and Middlo. They will be a hard act to follow when they go. They have brought great teams, and so many league titles.

As for crap racing, it’s not something we suffer down here compared to Blunsdon. Racing is good overall. I know because I watch speedway away from Wimborne Road and there isn’t much on offer that’s better.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

AFC Bournemouth are a premier league football club. Forgot about them?:rolleyes: Five miles from Wimborne Road. About the same distance STFC is from Blunsdon. A bit different in status though. What have The Robins got to challenge them? 

As many have said, if the promoters were all like Matt the sport would be thriving in the UK. Easily the best current promoter in the country and has been since the start of the millennium.

Sport is for winning. People who say win at all costs mentality is bad clearly support a team with little in the way of trophies in the cabint over the years, as winning is everything in sport.

We are lucky to have a combination of Matt and Middlo. They will be a hard act to follow when they go. They have brought great teams, and so many league titles.

As for crap racing, it’s not something we suffer down here compared to Blunsdon. Racing is good overall. I know because I watch speedway away from Wimborne Road and there isn’t much on offer that’s better.

Hard to disagree with that Shov, Ford has without doubt been the best promoter of the last 20 years as trophys and crowds show. I just think he has lost a bit of interest now the top dogs arent riding here anymore , he loved having world champs and top riders at Poole and that doesnt happen anymore. The continued watering down of the league as well.

if I was Ford and was able to walk away with a profit and sell the club on, I would definately do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I feel you are in your own little bubble Ford is  a good promoter but does he do what is best for speedway as a whole.? Lets see if Ford could be a success in say Teeside/ Sunderland/ Barrow ? Poole is by far the best  destination for speedway a mini Monaco around Sandbanks/ Bridport.Also as for your  continuous slagging off of Swindon and the Abbey you need to look at the quality of Wimbourne Rd it  is a million miles away from the track it used to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

Hard to disagree with that Shov, Ford has without doubt been the best promoter of the last 20 years as trophys and crowds show. I just think he has lost a bit of interest now the top dogs arent riding here anymore , he loved having world champs and top riders at Poole and that doesnt happen anymore. The continued watering down of the league as well.

if I was Ford and was able to walk away with a profit and sell the club on, I would definately do so.

I cannot see many wanting to pay much, if anything, let alone Matts valuation when he wanted Somerset to buy  C Holder for £20,000, for Poole Speedway.  To start with the riders are not financial assets of any value, as they can just walk away and refuse to ride for any new owner, so Matt has a couple of tractors and other equipment and an agreement to hire the track when he needs it.  Add to this the state of speedway in this country and the way it is run.

This has been discussed many times, Mr Ford has been excellent for Poole but along with a weak governing body and rule book his time in speedway has been pretty disastrous for the sport in the UK as a whole and the rule bending has contributed to crowds falling along with other factors. He would not be missed by many people.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

This has been discussed many times, Mr Ford has been excellent for Poole but along with a weak governing body and rule book his time in speedway has been pretty disastrous for the sport in the UK as a whole and the rule bending has contributed to crowds falling along with other factors. He would not be missed by many people.

When he first took over at Poole, he did think of speedway in the UK as a whole especially at the AGMs, but he got burnt a few times by other promoter's so he decided to just put Poole first. 

• Like 1