British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

I cannot see many wanting to pay much, if anything, let alone Matts valuation when he wanted Somerset to buy  C Holder for £20,000, for Poole Speedway.  To start with the riders are not financial assets of any value, as they can just walk away and refuse to ride for any new owner, so Matt has a couple of tractors and other equipment and an agreement to hire the track when he needs it.  Add to this the state of speedway in this country and the way it is run.

Poole reportedly get 1500 average a week crowds , I would be stunned if Ford didnt still make a handsome profit from the club. I just think he has fallen out of love with the sport .

so it isnt just a case of Ford selling unusable rider assets and a few tractors, he would be selling a profitable buisness.

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

As many have said, if the promoters were all like Matt the sport would be thriving in the UK. Easily the best current promoter in the country and has been since the start of the millennium.

Didn't we have a couple of promoters that wanted to take the sport up a level about 10 years ago?  1 with deeper pockets (Rick Frost) and another who outfoxed him in 2010 (A Sandhu), what happened to them? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

We are lucky to have a combination of Matt and Middlo. They will be a hard act to follow when they go.

BBS.jpg.bf061a5afa662b51a5e7e72b2e2461cf.jpg

These 2? And is that Starman in the background? :party:

58 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

When he first took over at Poole, he did think of speedway in the UK as a whole especially at the AGMs, but he got burnt a few times by other promoter's so he decided to just put Poole first. 

Or, to put it another way, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

9 minutes ago, Pinny said:

Poole reportedly get 1500 average a week crowds , I would be stunned if Ford didnt still make a handsome profit from the club. I just think he has fallen out of love with the sport .

so it isnt just a case of Ford selling unusable rider assets and a few tractors, he would be selling a profitable buisness.

I'm not so sure it is a profitable business - even for Poole.  The number of tracks are ever reducing, crowds are dropping across the country and the league continues to be diluted so because it has been profitable in the past does not mean that it will be profitable in the future.  As has been said many times before, it is all well and good putting your club first but if you do not look at the bigger picture you end up being the best team in a league of dwindling numbers until you are the only team left - won't be profitable then.

Picking up on a previous post where many have said that Matt is a great promoter and it would be great if they were all like him - I am pretty sure the vast majority of them would be Poole supporters because I haven't heard many others saying this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pinny said:

It would only be a profitable business if the riders want to ride and there is speedway at a decent level.  All I am saying is that the value may not be as high as Matt expects. 

I obviously hope the club continues as along with Somerset it is one of our two local Derby clubs.    

Edited by A ORLOV

8 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Or, to put it another way, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

Yep, that too! 

12 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

I'm not so sure it is a profitable business - even for Poole.  The number of tracks are ever reducing, crowds are dropping across the country and the league continues to be diluted so because it has been profitable in the past does not mean that it will be profitable in the future.  As has been said many times before, it is all well and good putting your club first but if you do not look at the bigger picture you end up being the best team in a league of dwindling numbers until you are the only team left - won't be profitable then.

Picking up on a previous post where many have said that Matt is a great promoter and it would be great if they were all like him - I am pretty sure the vast majority of them would be Poole supporters because I haven't heard many others saying this.

As it stands Poole speedway I am almost certain will be a profitable buisness. Matt Ford will still make a few grand each week off it, if he doesnt hed of flogged it already. 

You dont hear many other fans saying theyd love Ford promoting their club because they know it wont happen thats why . If for example Matt Ford offered to run Kings Lynn speedway would the likes of Bagpuss be against it? No of course they wouldnt despite what people say.

I cannot see many wanting to pay much, if anything, let alone Matts valuation when he wanted Somerset to buy  C Holder for £20,000, for Poole Speedway.  To start with the riders are not financial assets of any value, as they can just walk away and refuse to ride for any new owner, so Matt has a couple of tractors and other equipment and an agreement to hire the track when he needs it.  Add to this the state of speedway in this country and the way it is run.

The riders are financial assets, Poole will have quite a number of riders that they own and then they "loan" them out to other clubs, they will get a cut from each rider.

4 minutes ago, Odds On said:

The riders are financial assets, Poole will have quite a number of riders that they own and then they "loan" them out to other clubs, they will get a cut from each rider.

What the same as C Holder, they are not assets of any value if they decide to go off and ride elsewhere in Poland etc. 

1 minute ago, A ORLOV said:

What the same as C Holder, they are not assets of any value if they decide to go off and ride elsewhere in Poland etc. 

No true but Poole have a lot of rider assets probably more than any other club , some aren't worth anything especially if they don't ride anymore or don't want to ride here but others can be loaned out so there are  a number of riders that still have a value and of course if we use our own assets then we cut down on loan fees from other clubs.

Rider assets will depend on the strength of the league. If the level drops to championship league status most, if not all are unusable 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

No true but Poole have a lot of rider assets probably more than any other club , some aren't worth anything especially if they don't ride anymore or don't want to ride here but others can be loaned out so there are  a number of riders that still have a value and of course if we use our own assets then we cut down on loan fees from other clubs.

But are they worth much, if a businessman sees that Holder was estimated at £20,000 one day and is then worth £0 shortly after, another rider worth a lot more than £20,000 injured for life because of an accident and not able to ever ride again,  they will be very wary about any rider being of much value, especially if the present list of riders  either do not want to ride or get injured to a point of not being able to ride.  

It would only be a profitable business if the riders want to ride and there is speedway at a decent level.  All I am saying is that the value may not be as high as Matt expects. 

I obviously hope the club continues as along with Somerset it is one of our two local Derby clubs.    

And Swindon...

Pinney. You are forgetting, Matt would have lost a fortune on the rain off's at the start of the season and, the 70th Aniversary meeting postponment, and not be able to be re-staged . Money he will not get back. Then you had the knock on effect of crowds lower than the average, after that with people worried about the weather. Will it wont it. Its not all beer and Skittles mate.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1