British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I feel you are in your own little bubble Ford is  a good promoter but does he do what is best for speedway as a whole.? Lets see if Ford could be a success in say Teeside/ Sunderland/ Barrow ? Poole is by far the best  destination for speedway a mini Monaco around Sandbanks/ Bridport.Also as for your  continuous slagging off of Swindon and the Abbey you need to look at the quality of Wimbourne Rd it  is a million miles away from the track it used to be.

Genuine question not a criticism, why is Poole the best destination for Speedway?

Competition from 2 Premiership football clubs and lots of other competition in the area for people's disposable income as befitting a holiday area but still you see comments on here like "we've got football and bangers but there's nothing else to do in Poole but go to speedway".  I'm also lost by Bridport? That's 40 miles away!

If it's so easy to promote in a perceived affluent seaside area then what happened to Weymouth & Eastbourne who don't have any competition from football.

I haven't got my head up Matt Ford's arse and the last time I went to Wimborne Road for speedway was to watch the Buccaneers but he promotes Poole speedway tirelessly and keeps the profile of the club high and in the public eye. All over Poole and Bournemouth there are adverts for the speedway, sponsored roundabouts, sign's along the seafront etc. which can't come cheap and his professional approach has been more key to Poole's success than the location in my opinion. I'm genuinely interested to know why people think Poole is an easy place to promote Speedway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A ORLOV said:

But are they worth much, if a businessman sees that Holder was estimated at £20,000 one day and is then worth £0 shortly after, another rider worth a lot more than £20,000 injured for life because of an accident and not able to ever ride again,  they will be very wary about any rider being of much value, especially if the present list of riders  either do not want to ride or get injured to a point of not being able to ride.  

Any sportsman can have a career ending accident, if it happened to a footballer which has happened many times , he isn't worth millions anymore is he. It is just the risk clubs take .

2 hours ago, Steve0 said:

I'm not so sure it is a profitable business - even for Poole.  The number of tracks are ever reducing, crowds are dropping across the country and the league continues to be diluted so because it has been profitable in the past does not mean that it will be profitable in the future.  As has been said many times before, it is all well and good putting your club first but if you do not look at the bigger picture you end up being the best team in a league of dwindling numbers until you are the only team left - won't be profitable then.

Picking up on a previous post where many have said that Matt is a great promoter and it would be great if they were all like him - I am pretty sure the vast majority of them would be Poole supporters because I haven't heard many others saying this.

It’s only Poole fans and maybe one or two others that think he has helped British Speedway.

The constant rule bending and the desire to win at all costs is finally coming to an end and the fact that he can’t just sign whoever he wants anymore means he wants out. 

No good being the best team in a 2 team league 

Made sure Poole was profitable but to say Matt Ford has been good for the sport is very wrong

1 hour ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Genuine question not a criticism, why is Poole the best destination for Speedway?

Competition from 2 Premiership football clubs and lots of other competition in the area for people's disposable income as befitting a holiday area but still you see comments on here like "we've got football and bangers but there's nothing else to do in Poole but go to speedway".  I'm also lost by Bridport? That's 40 miles away!

If it's so easy to promote in a perceived affluent seaside area then what happened to Weymouth & Eastbourne who don't have any competition from football.

I haven't got my head up Matt Ford's arse and the last time I went to Wimborne Road for speedway was to watch the Buccaneers but he promotes Poole speedway tirelessly and keeps the profile of the club high and in the public eye. All over Poole and Bournemouth there are adverts for the speedway, sponsored roundabouts, sign's along the seafront etc. which can't come cheap and his professional approach has been more key to Poole's success than the location in my opinion. I'm genuinely interested to know why people think Poole is an easy place to promote Speedway.

You said it all mate, its a seaside town which attracts all age groups, and Matt does his job. Even in the off  Holiday seasons our crowds are bigger than the rest in the premiership.
Anywhere nowadays is not easy to promote speedway, we have 2 premier league football clubs 5 mile and 30 mile up the road but our crowds still stand up, because its a speedway town, and yes there is plenty to do in the surounding area.
BV have a simular problem with the football,  but there crowds are dire apart from if they get a WC  British final or play off up there, but then that should be the case anywhere, and there's bugger all else to do up there, if your not a football fan or a speedway fan. I hear studying brick walls is a favorite passtime.  :rolleyes:   No good  having a great track if they cant pull in the punters. And before  i get bombarded by BV fans one of your fans actually said as much.. So there it is..

Edited by Starman2006

13 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

You said it all mate, its a seaside town which attracts all age groups, and Matt does his job. Even in the off  Holiday seasons our crowds are bigger than the rest in the premiership.
Anywhere nowadays is not easy to promote speedway, we have 2 premier league football clubs 5 mile and 30 mile up the road but our crowds still stand up, because its a speedway town, and yes there is plenty to do in the surounding area.
BV have a simular problem with the football,  but there crowds are dire apart from if they get a WC  British final or play off up there, but then that should be the case anywhere, and there's bugger all else to do up there, if your not a football fan or a speedway fan. I hear studying brick walls is a favorite passtime.  :rolleyes:   No good  having a great track if they cant pull in the punters. And before  i get bombarded by BV fans one of your fans actually said as much.. So there it is..

As yo have NEVER been to Belle Vue its very strange how you can give a opinion :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, sommelier said:

As yo have NEVER been to Belle Vue its very strange how you can give a opinion :rolleyes:

He has this very strange agenda against Belle Vue. 

Belle Vue is and always has been the biggest club in the UK and now it has the best track as well. 

There has to be some jealousy involved 

22 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Belle Vue is and always has been the biggest club in the UK and now it has the best track as well. 

In the last twenty years Poole have won the Elite lge 7 times, Belle Vue have not won it once. I would suggest  the biggest club in the country would be the one that wins titles and attracts the biggest crowds. Just my opinion of course ...

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

In the last twenty years Poole have won the Elite lge 7 times, Belle Vue have not won it once. I would suggest  the biggest club in the country would be the one that wins titles and attracts the biggest crowds. Just my opinion of course ...

Absolutely. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

Spot on young Sir.. R'up several times K O cup winners pairs winners Craven Shield winners, to many times to mention, and that mini league in 03

Edited by Starman2006
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sommelier said:

I use me eyes mate, thankfully i still have them..

35 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Not from me mate, i say it how i see it.

1 hour ago, sommelier said:

Clearly other BV fans are of the same opinion. Funny that..

To me the biggest club is the one that has the history and prestige not about who has won the most in the last 10 years lol

Ask non speedway fans to name a speedway club and they would say Belle Vue maybe Cradley or Coventry.

So you are saying that Man City are a bigger club then Man Utd or that Huddersfield are bigger than Leeds or Aston Villa.

Belle Vue are the biggest club in British speedway right now. Not the most successful true but they are the biggest in name

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you surveyed all the fans on where they would rather watch speedway either at BV or Poole i think most would pick BV.Says it all really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colin wood said:

If you surveyed all the fans on where they would rather watch speedway either at BV or Poole i think most would pick BV.Says it all really.

Not going on there attendances its not... Jeez, i could count them on the last BT meeting..