British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, Dave Jones said:

I think it's also fair to remind Shovlar & starman  that The aces have been running continuously since 1928, even operating through WW2. A history that no other club operating currently can match I believe. For their part The pirates didn't get started until twenty years later (1948) and there have been gaps in their history where the club has closed down for periods.

When considering greatness history is most important, it's unfair to just select a short period (as you call it the modern era ) & expect everyone to forget the rest , to justify a claim.

Living in Poole all my life and many years ago Wimbledon dons and the Wembley lions were the big names Poole was was was just a little provincial team can't compare really 

People keep banging on about BV being the biggest most famous club in history. Maybe thirty odd years ago. 

But my memories of them since 1999 are of a bottom of the league backmarker most seasons with a disgraceful track (kirky lane) . Theyve now moved tracks to a better one and a better stadium but still havent won anything.

11 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

That ain’t going to happen.

More likely Klindt, Woryna, Jakobsen and Kurtz. 

If the league is being dumbed down yet again riders like Nicolai will be the top men.

We will see Steve ;)

7 minutes ago, ray c said:

Living in Poole all my life and many years ago Wimbledon dons and the Wembley lions were the big names Poole was was was just a little provincial team can't compare really 

Are you the only sensible Poole supporter?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gavan said:

100% agree

Nobody can argue against Pooles success in recent times 

Nothing to do with poole2019, but another pasting for Ipswich tonight gavan 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

Nothing to do with poole2019, but another pasting for Ipswich tonight gavan 

Yes and we have our number one missing and Workingtons reserve as a heat leader up against quality in cook and Harris. I’ve commented on the Ipswich thread about half hour ago thanks for your concern 

13 minutes ago, Pinny said:

People keep banging on about BV being the biggest most famous club in history. Maybe thirty odd years ago. 

But my memories of them since 1999 are of a bottom of the league backmarker most seasons with a disgraceful track (kirky lane) . Theyve now moved tracks to a better one and a better stadium but still havent won anything.

I don't think people are. They are just comparing The Aces to The Pirates.

17 minutes ago, ray c said:

Think you've been were were watching ter to much open all hours..:rofl:

3 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Yes and we have our number one missing and Workingtons reserve as a heat leader up against quality in cook and Harris. I’ve commented on the Ipswich thread about half hour ago thanks for your concern 

Harris quality, don't forget he's a Poole rider 

2 hours ago, sommelier said:

Yes agree with Cradley Heath & Coventry, could put Wimbledon on that list

Plus Birmingham are as well known throughout sport.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Think you've been were were watching ter to much open all hours..:rofl:

I think you should mind your own business and get back to cloud cuckoo land !!!

• Like 1

If we want to talk recent history;

2015 Play Offs Poole 1st Belle Vue 2nd

2016 Play Offs Belle Vue 2nd Poole 3rd

2017 Play Offs Belle Vue and Poole = 3rd

2017 KO Cup Belle Vue

Not much in it either way. 

1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Since 2000 which I would call the modern era Poole have been the most successful club with Coventry not far behind.  But Belle Vue remain the ‘most successful’ of all time currently even though they have have failed to win a league title for 25 years. 

Anyway back to Poole 2019 - Top 4 of Chris Holder, Jack Holder, Chris Harris & Brady Kurtz.

I don't know what Chris has done, but it can't be easily put right, cause he would of be here in 2018... Jack, I don't know, but he has had a good season with the Rebels.

Kurtz, Woryna and Jakobsen would be my shoe ins, if they fit in 2019's rules.

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

I think it's also fair to remind Shovlar & starman  that The aces have been running continuously since 1928, even operating through WW2. A history that no other club operating currently can match I believe. For their part The pirates didn't get started until twenty years later (1948) and there have been gaps in their history where the club has closed down for periods.

When considering greatness history is most important, it's unfair to just select a short period (as you call it the modern era ) & expect everyone to forget the rest , to justify a claim.

Poole have run every year since opening in 1948, the only time they did no compete in a league was 1957 and then they ran series of open meeting including two National League matches under the banner of Rayleigh Pirates

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Oh. Did you get lost? :D

• Like 1