British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I don’t think you will find anyone, other than starman, perhaps, who doesn’t agree that Belle Vue’s track is the best in the country, if not the world. 

However, any fans new to the sport since, say, it has been on Sky and BT, would not say Belle Vue are the biggest club in the country. 

1. Because they have won nothing in donkeys years. Most fans who remember the halcyon days of BV are old or pushing up daisies.

2. Their crowds have not been very big.

However, since moving into the new impressive stadium, there is the opportunity to change things back. Their promotion need to increase attendances one way or another, and of course their team need to start emulating Poole and start winning a lot of titles. Work to do.

With the professionalism of this promotion I do think that we will start winning things, don't forget the cup last season!  

Agree with you about crowds but last year they increased over the season. Since being forced off Fridays it's gone backwards a bit.  Racing on a Friday or Saturday makes a big difference in Manchester. However, all teams in large cities struggle as there is so much else to do. London can't support a team any more, Birmingham don't really pull them in. Smaller places like Poole, Kings Lynn, Swindon have a bigger share of the entertainment budget I think.

In the halcyon days at Hyde Rd as I recall, they started bang on 7pm and pushed the meeting through so that all was done before 9pm.  That meant people could still go out for the evening. Such efficiency is sadly lacking now with the constant gardening and returning to the pit gate after a false start.  Having said that, the Colts meetings are run really well, without all of the messing about, so it is possible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Ok so the biggest club in any sport is the one with the best record in the last 10 years or so.

Of course a newbie wont know how good Wimbledon , Cradley , Belle Vue and even Coventry used to be, but its not the discussion.

As i said a newbie to football will think Huddersfield and Bournemouth are bigger clubs then Leeds or Aston Villa...........absolute tosh...........

It does seem however that it is only you that thinks Poole are a bigger club then Belle Vue..........more successful recently....but a bigger club is just tosh

Not sure why you keep saying 10 years, the poster who brought this discussion up, said in the last twenty years. BV are the equilvant to Liverpool if you want to compare it to football, whereas Poole are like Chelsea...

Not sure how a club is considered big when they haven't won the league since 1993 though, it's a long time ago!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I don’t think you will find anyone, other than starman, perhaps, who doesn’t agree that Belle Vue’s track is the best in the country, if not the world. 

However, any fans new to the sport since, say, it has been on Sky and BT, would not say Belle Vue are the biggest club in the country. 

1. Because they have won nothing in donkeys years. Most fans who remember the halcyon days of BV are old or pushing up daisies.

2. Their crowds have not been very big.

However, since moving into the new impressive stadium, there is the opportunity to change things back. Their promotion need to increase attendances one way or another, and of course their team need to start emulating Poole and start winning a lot of titles. Work to do.

Steve, where have i ever said anything Derogatary about the BV track ?

24 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

Steve, where have i ever said anything Derogatary about the BV track ?

Mike, you haven’t been very complimentary about the new Belle Vue stadium.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Mike, you haven’t been very complimentary about the new Belle Vue stadium.

But said nothing about the track.. Only saying it as i see it, if people dont like what i write then they shouldnt reply. End of the day they know im right but would never admit to it.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

But said nothing about the track.. Only saying it as i see it, if people dont like what i write then they shouldnt reply. End of the day they know im right but would never admit to it.

But you have never been there, so how can you say it as you see it?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, coldace said:

With the professionalism of this promotion I do think that we will start winning things, don't forget the cup last season!  

Agree with you about crowds but last year they increased over the season. Since being forced off Fridays it's gone backwards a bit.  Racing on a Friday or Saturday makes a big difference in Manchester. However, all teams in large cities struggle as there is so much else to do. London can't support a team any more, Birmingham don't really pull them in. Smaller places like Poole, Kings Lynn, Swindon have a bigger share of the entertainment budget I think.

In the halcyon days at Hyde Rd as I recall, they started bang on 7pm and pushed the meeting through so that all was done before 9pm.  That meant people could still go out for the evening. Such efficiency is sadly lacking now with the constant gardening and returning to the pit gate after a false start.  Having said that, the Colts meetings are run really well, without all of the messing about, so it is possible.

Tbh, I think you’re kidding yourself about the “professionalism of this promotion”. They were handed a ready made stadium, a ready made track and a ready made team manager and done what exactly?

Where are the new sponsors and the new supporters?

Look at what Glasgow have done if you want to see professionalism. Turned an absolute dump into a smart welcoming little stadium with good food and bars, clean toilets and promotional activities that are almost unmatched. Plus entertainment all through the meeting and new sponsors. 

The result is that crowds have more than doubled and supporters are properly engaged. That surely is professionalism. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

But you have never been there, so how can you say it as you see it?

As i see it on the TV. Can see all i need to see.

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

Deluded

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Starman2006 said:

It’s amazing how everything other than the subject of Poole 2019 is under discussion on this thread!! Poole has a very good stadium that has a track which when properly prepared gives us one of the best speedway facilities in the UK. All that is required for us to get the best from that facility is a governing body that has UK speedway as the focus of attention and strategy that’s reinvigorates the sport across the nation and prevents localised self interest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aviator said:

It’s amazing how everything other than the subject of Poole 2019 is under discussion on this thread!! Poole has a very good stadium that has a track which when properly prepared gives us one of the best speedway facilities in the UK. All that is required for us to get the best from that facility is a governing body that has UK speedway as the focus of attention and strategy that’s reinvigorates the sport across the nation and prevents localised self interest. 

Perhaps there will be nothing to discuss.... 

7 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Perhaps there will be nothing to discuss.... 

Why is that?

13 hours ago, coldace said:

Deluded

Of course i am..Truth hurts doesn't it..

Edited by Starman2006

7 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Of course i am..Truth hurts doesn't it..

the only truth is that you are deluded FACT :lol: