British Speedway Forum

5 minutes ago, Aviator said:

Don’t get too precious about it Starman. James went through the revolving door far too quickly and was only selected because his average was convenient at the beginning of the season. The promoter only signed Bomber when Noddy finally got his act together and told the truth about his work permit!!! Was Harris his first choice, no. Was Holder his first choice, yes. Would Shane’s have been his first choice if there had been a young Aussie on the same average as Shanes, no.. Get my drift, hope so. If not, I’ll make it easy for you, the Poole promoter will always go with a foreign (preferably Aussie) rider before a Brit.

Dont forget richie worrall was brought in to replace holder when kildermand left :D

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I thought it was America. But not sure where I got that from! 

Spent a few hours doing “circuits and Bumps” in the area, only needed the reheats for take off and always very glad of a nice room for the night. Never needed to fly at Mach 2 to get there though!!

36 minutes ago, ray c said:

Dont forget richie worrall was brought in to replace holder when kildermand left :D

Think it was quite a while before he was granted the use of an engine normally reserved for the “special ones” though..

3 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Assuming there is a new Co-promoter as the anticipated news of a new one has still not been announced yet. Although maybe on hold pending AGM outcome ?? I also wonder how things  are going for a new Club Sponsor as Volvo Poole ended their 2 year deal.

Also does anyone know what this reported new Biz venture Matt eluded to ?? Have seen nothing on Social media sites or the BSF from anyone commenting on what it is. All I saw was a release from Middlo in which he said Matt could still retain the Promoter roll from abroad while doing the new venture, and could if required fly in for meetings like riders do as he won't be so far away ??. That indicated to me maybe based in Europe ?? and doing what I wonder ??

Mr and Mrs Ford would be based in Europe. The new venture is in partnership with a venue/hospitality business. Thats probably enough info for this forum.

It wouldn't be unusual, after all The Lakeside owner Stuart Douglas lives and works in the USA.

However Matt's keenness to sell for a decent amount is probably so that he can invest in the new business on par with his partners.

Edited by Skidder1

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

Mr and Mrs Ford would be based in Europe. The business is in partnership with a venue/hospitality business. Thats probably enough info for this forum.

Allo Allo. 

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Mr and Mrs Ford would be based in Europe. The business is in partnership with a venue/hospitality business. Thats probably enough info for this forum.

To much info mate...

3 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

To much info mate...

Its no secret to those he's told!! Its not as if I'm divulging who, what where etc.

Edited by Skidder1

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Mr and Mrs Ford would be based in Europe. The new venture is in partnership with a venue/hospitality business. Thats probably enough info for this forum.

It wouldn't be unusual, after all The Lakeside owner Stuart Douglas lives and works in the USA.

However Matt's keenness to sell for a decent amount is probably so that he can invest in the new business on par with his partners.

Won’t need too much then cos property can be very reasonably priced in that part of the world.

17 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Thanks Skidder

My questions was purely out of interest. It peaked when i heard Europe as had some thought maybe he was being asked to maybe stay in the sport in POL with his marketing skills and success with Poole and its sponsors.

I say good luck to the guy. Love him or not he has done plenty of good for the sport in UK and especially for Poole. Irrespective of what some Poole haters may say you cannot take away all those League Championships or what he has done in wooing sponsors large and small to the club.

But the love affair isnt over yet as can't think many out there who will go anywhere near his rumoured valuation of the club, so we may have him around for longer, and as was muted, he could arguably still run the thing remotely from overseas with all the modern technology available now. Although may be more difficult with other interests. But have a good person/people in house during the season months it could still work and it has to if he does pursue the new venture.

Whatever the outcome he has taken the club forward and to the forefront of the sport in very difficult times.

2 hours ago, Aviator said:

Don’t get too precious about it Starman. James went through the revolving door far too quickly and was only selected because his average was convenient at the beginning of the season. The promoter only signed Bomber when Noddy finally got his act together and told the truth about his work permit!!! Was Harris his first choice, no. Was Holder his first choice, yes. Would Shane’s have been his first choice if there had been a young Aussie on the same average as Shanes, no.. Get my drift, hope so. If not, I’ll make it easy for you, the Poole promoter will always go with a foreign (preferably Aussie) rider before a Brit.

I felt sorry for young James, but it is all about winning the league, simple as. In the end the forigners cost to much and were not avaliable and the Brits werre avaliable, and did the job that was asked. So end of the day we have won the league with 2 brits in the side. You cannot knock that.
James as i said at the time not that you would remember it, needed more racing and he would improve, that he has done top of the National/ dev league averages and a 5.5 average in the Championship.  But as i said Matt needed to do something so he brought in Neisen, sadly he got injured. Chris should have made it perfectly clear before the season started he was struggling, and Matt could have replaced him. But you cannot deny the whole team did the job that was asked of them . And imo full marks to Matt.

Edited by Starman2006

4 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

I felt sorry for young James, but it is all about winning the league, simple as. In the end the forigners cost to much and were not avaliable and the Brits werre avaliable, and did the job that was asked. So end of the day we have won the league with 2 brits in the side. You cannot knock that.
James as i said at the time not that you would remember it, needed more racing and he would improve, that he has done top of the National/ dev league averages and a 5.5 average in the Championship.  But as i said Matt needed to do something so he brought in Neisen, sadly he go injured. Chris should have made it perfectly clear before the season started he was struggling, and Matt could have replaced him. But you cannot deny the whole team did the job that was asked of them . And imo full marks to Matt.

Starman, speedway is about watching good motorcycle racing not, just about winning a trophy that the supporters don’t get to see or celebrate.

Holder was a part of the “whole” team as selected by the promoter at the beginning of the season, as was Szchepaniak. Holder didn’t get out of the blocks and poor old Szchepaniak couldn’t! But, neither went through the revolving door as quickly as is common practice for under performing Brits. It will be interesting to see how many Brits are in the starting line up for 2019!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aviator said:

Starman, speedway is about watching good motorcycle racing not, just about winning a trophy that the supporters don’t get to see or celebrate.

Holder was a part of the “whole” team as selected by the promoter at the beginning of the season, as was Szchepaniak. Holder didn’t get out of the blocks and poor old Szchepaniak couldn’t! But, neither went through the revolving door as quickly as is common practice for under performing Brits. It will be interesting to see how many Brits are in the starting line up for 2019!

And kyle was exactly the same the year before anyway a new promotor. may have to use more brits we shall see

If Fords still involved in some way, I see the revolving door continuing as well as a one or 2 non British riders on bargain averages, again. 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Its no secret to those he's told!! Its not as if I'm divulging who, what where etc.

of course its not a secret,why would it be?but whos interested? 

59 minutes ago, poole keith said:

of course its not a secret,why would it be?but whos interested? 

Those that asked the question!!