British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I agree the Abu Dhabi trip indicates that the club finds itself in a better financial position than most in these trying times but in order to give something back to the fans that have followed the team home and away I would have thought a celebration evening could have been organised.

Don't disagree.

Matt can be his own worse enemy. he has become a master of playing the local media (especially in the Echo) and wherever he can to gain the widest possible audience.. He bleats loud and clear in putting Poole Speedway into the media to gain max exposure. He has to be applauded in many senses but it can also be a negative. 

He was open when he was only to willing to share with all that 2018 had lost him well into 6  figure well before the season had ended and I think even before the play offs. So that means well in excess of £100,000 upwards. Well I am sure all the hype and guests flown in from all over Europe for the early season 70th Anniv meeting with hotel bills/flights and god knows how many other costs related took a fair chunk of that even before season started with no crowd income to offset at least part of it. Factor in rain offs - track problem cancellations, poor match results to mid season and falling crowds and there you go.

Therefore a much hyped and no doubt very expensive  jolly up for the team and Manager/owner with some partners plus some sponsors with not even a mention of a thank you to the supporters via an end of season do, must have gone down well with the locals. Lasting 4 days will all expenses paid incl flights - food/drink - entertainment - in the no doubt expensive racing village with World renowned pop stars of now and the past and no doubt decent Hotel accommodation to boot.

Now I know that some sponsors footed some of the bill so thanks to those guys. But even so when you consider the Club allegedly lost so much money with Matt also openly saying finance is tight also with as it stands NO main Team Sponsor signed or even in sight, then it is a bit rich that the supporters who are the life blood of the sport don't even get a celebration bevvy up in recognition. Could you imagine a Football team winning the League but not parading for the fans ??

I don't begrudge them their trip and good luck to anyone who can enjoy such luxuries, but at a time when the sport is almost potless it is a bit rich to then come back and your first real media article bestows the lack of money and POL pricing you out of the top riders. It sounded like he was letting the fans down gently on team expectations for 2019. No doubt he also wants to keep a lid on expenditure for 2019 as he is still confident/hopeful in flogging the Club after next season. Yeah fat chance at his inflated idea of what a speedway club is worth.

Hopefully we will still get a competitive team in 2019 as after all he has enough team assets in riders to call upon. We will no doubt see over the coming weeks - Hopefully.

11 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Don't disagree.

Matt can be his own worse enemy. he has become a master of playing the local media (especially in the Echo) and wherever he can to gain the widest possible audience.. He bleats loud and clear in putting Poole Speedway into the media to gain max exposure. He has to be applauded in many senses but it can also be a negative. 

He was open when he was only to willing to share with all that 2018 had lost him well into 6  figure well before the season had ended and I think even before the play offs. So that means well in excess of £100,000 upwards. Well I am sure all the hype and guests flown in from all over Europe for the early season 70th Anniv meeting with hotel bills/flights and god knows how many other costs related took a fair chunk of that even before season started with no crowd income to offset at least part of it. Factor in rain offs - track problem cancellations, poor match results to mid season and falling crowds and there you go.

Therefore a much hyped and no doubt very expensive  jolly up for the team and Manager/owner with some partners plus some sponsors with not even a mention of a thank you to the supporters via an end of season do, must have gone down well with the locals. Lasting 4 days will all expenses paid incl flights - food/drink - entertainment - in the no doubt expensive racing village with World renowned pop stars of now and the past and no doubt decent Hotel accommodation to boot.

Now I know that some sponsors footed some of the bill so thanks to those guys. But even so when you consider the Club allegedly lost so much money with Matt also openly saying finance is tight also with as it stands NO main Team Sponsor signed or even in sight, then it is a bit rich that the supporters who are the life blood of the sport don't even get a celebration bevvy up in recognition. Could you imagine a Football team winning the League but not parading for the fans ??

I don't begrudge them their trip and good luck to anyone who can enjoy such luxuries, but at a time when the sport is almost potless it is a bit rich to then come back and your first real media article bestows the lack of money and POL pricing you out of the top riders. It sounded like he was letting the fans down gently on team expectations for 2019. No doubt he also wants to keep a lid on expenditure for 2019 as he is still confident/hopeful in flogging the Club after next season. Yeah fat chance at his inflated idea of what a speedway club is worth.

Hopefully we will still get a competitive team in 2019 as after all he has enough team assets in riders to call upon. We will no doubt see over the coming weeks - Hopefully.

Yet some claim the club is work a lot of money !!!, not if it makes that sort of loss.

Ford didn't make a loss. 

He openly said that its a club that makes a profit and continues to do so. Wasn't the biggest profit but he still made one. 

8 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Yet some claim the club is work a lot of money !!!, not if it makes that sort of loss.

If it was worth so much than I am sure Matt would have sold it by now.

I saw figure of £250k plus mentioned. How true that was I don't know but for what ???. In  these days where many argue the sport is on its knees and going nowhere I can't see some charitable soul paying that much money or anywhere near it.

Don't get me wrong. I think Matt has done a brilliant job for Poole over the years. Many like him and some don't. He has always been one step ahead many times in team selection and we have seen some great riders at Poole over the years. But the sport is on a downward curve in most peoples eyes (except the BSPA who seem to have a rose tinted view of the sport).

Ask yourself where the Prem would be for 2019 had Chapman not purchased Ips/Peter . Neither in my opinion would have come up and for sure Som/Leic would have dropped anyway due to lack of finance/losses and not having choice of race night. Would have left only 5 Prem teams with loss of the small bit of money coming into the sport from TV.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Ford didn't make a loss. 

He openly said that its a club that makes a profit and continues to do so. Wasn't the biggest profit but he still made one. 

Sorry PB but disagree.

Matt said in an article during the  season that he/the club had lost six figures this season with all the problems of 70th Anniv meeting and all the cancellations. Now who lost that money - the club - Matt Ford himself ??. Matt owns the club meaning surely he didnt lose it  from his own fortune. It must be the club. 

7 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Sorry PB but disagree.

Matt said in an article during the  season that he/the club had lost six figures this season with all the problems of 70th Anniv meeting and all the cancellations. Now who lost that money - the club - Matt Ford himself ??. Matt owns the club meaning surely he didnt lose it  from his own fortune. It must be the club. 

Apologies PB I was a bit out on the money lost.

It was in fact a large five figure sum and that was as of the 3rd week of July so not counting any other mounting losses (if any) or profits (if any) after that.

I quote you Matt's exact words from the Evening Echo release of 22nd July.

But the loss of those meetings saw us start the season in the second week of April and it had a huge impact on the club financially.

“It was a substantial loss – a large five-figure sum – and one I will not be able to recoup. It wasn’t only what it cost the club but also the loss of potential revenue and profit.

To me a large five figure sum could be say from £70k upwards in my opinion. Plus did he make money in the second half of the season as many were saying crowds were not what they used to be.

Maybe the play offs gave back some profit but I question how much considering what revenue say a crowd of 2000 would generate after expenses and after deducting season tickets - pensioner discounts and kids lower admission. Even Matt said he would not be able to recoup such losses.

5 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

I think the success of the title means he would have a made a profit. They were big crowds. 

Hope for his and the clubs sake they were able to wipe at least part of it out.

Nobody wants to see any club lose money  especially when its the one you support. I may be some 3.5 hours away from Poole being in Chelmsford but they are still my modern day club and rekindled my interest in the sport big time (not that i ever lost my love of Speedway).

I am sure Matt will do his level best to give us the best team he can within the financial restraints he has and that pesky 2.64 points he needs to drop off the current team to get within the 42.50 point limit. There will have to be 2 changes at least anyway as he can't jiggle it any other way even if he wanted to keep all of last seasons team. Maybe even 3 will go to get the team he and hopefully we would like to see in 2019.

Roll on the team announcements. He has said before he likes to get his teams sorted by xmas so let's hope the Team Sponsor situation doesn't put the dampener on that one.

Just to throw a name into the hat for 2019.....How about Hans Andersen??

Edited by scottyfan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

Just to through a name into the hat for 2019.....How about Hans Andersen??

Was thinking similar. Is an asset and think wanted to stay at Poole. Similar to Harris situation but maybe a more consistent high end scorer and on lower than Harris GSA by 0.22. My fear is whether we will ever win a League Champ with Hans in the team and we all know he is riding out his twilight years with as many clubs as poss so up to 4 per week. I know he is conditioned to it but has too many up and down rides as travelling takes it toll during peak season. Not even incl all the SEC/SGP and DK Championship qualifiers to boot.

Wouldn't discount him and PERHAPS that slightly lower GSA may have a bearing.

Would dearly love to know if one or both Holders will play any part, Nobody on the forum seem's to know what Chris's situ is or even if he intends to ride UK anyway in 2019. Also what about Jack who is also an asset and no Somerset in the equation this year.

As usual more questions than answers. Still in favour of my idea of 2 young Aussies I named the other as reserves Pickering/Stewart and moving up with Jakobsen/Woyna/Kurtz/Jack Holder and Chris Holder (even if Chris was re-evaluated at 8 he would scrape in by o.o8 of a point into the 42.50 limit. Its a young and exciting sounding  squad with scope to improve even if not initially a league winning team. Who wins it anyway frmo March to July ?? or even Sept for that matter. Top 4 is where you need to be.

Other permutations are of course available ;-)

19 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Was thinking similar. Is an asset and think wanted to stay at Poole. Similar to Harris situation but maybe a more consistent high end scorer and on lower than Harris GSA by 0.22. My fear is whether we will ever win a League Champ with Hans in the team and we all know he is riding out his twilight years with as many clubs as poss so up to 4 per week. I know he is conditioned to it but has too many up and down rides as travelling takes it toll during peak season. Not even incl all the SEC/SGP and DK Championship qualifiers to boot.

Wouldn't discount him and PERHAPS that slightly lower GSA may have a bearing.

Would dearly love to know if one or both Holders will play any part, Nobody on the forum seem's to know what Chris's situ is or even if he intends to ride UK anyway in 2019. Also what about Jack who is also an asset and no Somerset in the equation this year.

As usual more questions than answers. Still in favour of my idea of 2 young Aussies I named the other as reserves Pickering/Stewart and moving up with Jakobsen/Woyna/Kurtz/Jack Holder and Chris Holder (even if Chris was re-evaluated at 8 he would scrape in by o.o8 of a point into the 42.50 limit. Its a young and exciting sounding  squad with scope to improve even if not initially a league winning team. Who wins it anyway frmo March to July ?? or even Sept for that matter. Top 4 is where you need to be.

Other permutations are of course available ;-)

When Matt and the 'volunteers' were at the track to take the air fence down for the winter, he stated that with everything Chris Holder had had to put up with in the past year it would be highly unlikely that he would race UK this coming year.  Not sure whether the visa issue is still a [problem?

37 minutes ago, BLACKHEART said:

With Matt picking the team Josh Grajczonek is nailed on along with Brady and Nicolai. Jakobsen will be back also as Matt said he wanted to use him in 2019. The following team just about fits.

1. Jack Holder 7.39

2. Kacper Woryna 6.36

3. Josh Grajczonek 6.70

4. Nicolai Klindt 6.61

5. Brady Kurtz 7.05

6. Fredrik Jakobsen 5.04

7. James Shanes 3.31

interesting idea's.

Fairly young team with the old men being Klindt at 30 end Dec and Josh G at 29 end Feb. The rest being 20 to 23.

Thing is that whichever way you view it Matt has to lose 2.64 points from last seasons team to get within the limit. But one thing I would question is IF Nick Morris was available at 6.60 would you have him over say Josh or Nicolai ???. I don't know why I keep on about Morris but perhaps its the fact he finished 2017 on 8.87  so proved he has been there and done it. One off season with rumours he might want to move on, and  the all the hype of the A.Dhabi trip draws me to him with a potential to get a 2 point upswing in a settled (hopefully) team amongst other young Aussies on a track he has tended to ride well. I wish Swindon would either announce him or not to put me out of my misery on it.

Josh still worries me as he was so bad for so long but did get it partly together end of season. BUT he will be trying big time to prove himself in POL again after a bad first season where he has now moved team. Will he be going back and forth there constantly like last season at the expense giving up  his Champ season which for me partly hurt his form. Practicing all the time in POL is not like racing in UK.

Klindt did brilliant at times last season and arguably was the reason we won our only 2 matches away at Leic which think was his favourite UK track. He could be getting better later (like a Doyle situation) but still have a small  element of doubt as he could be off at times and was VERY up and down in the Champ despite Work winning the treble. Still think he is best at reserve but may struggle to get in there if our reserves are weakish. Knowing the strength of other teams reserve pairings would certainly help as we know from last season they can make or break your season. For so long Wory/Jakob was the leagues best  reserve pairing.

I don't envy the task Matt has to get within the limit and IF Chris Holder has decided to give UK the heave ho (which none of us know for sure) then its one less asset at his disposal to use.

Personally still not over convinced you would get much more out of Shanes than his GSA.

2 minutes ago, ZagarRacing said:

The only way Poole are getting Morris is if Rosco gets Kurtz in return.

Just saw your post re Swind 2nd signing tomorrow.

Of course Rosco could kill off any rumour tomorrow if his local Swindon living Aussie was announced. If it's such an easy decision he should have agreed if living locally ;-)