British Speedway Forum

29 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Have you anough firepower at the top end of the team? Kurtz, Holder have huge potential but if i was a Poole fan i might be a wee bit worried.

We learnt last year thag strength in depth can win you the league. 

12 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

You got lucky last year fair play though,   i will be surprised if a team wins it without having at least two riders averaging over 8.

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You got lucky last year fair play though,   i will be surprised if a team wins it without having at least two riders averaging over 8.

reserves win you championships. Its going to be an interesting balance. 

Doyle will deliver but we all know Batch is capable of getting 15 points or 3 points a meeting. 

15 minutes ago, poolebolton said:

Doyle will deliver but we all know Batch is capable of getting 15 points or 3 points a meeting. 

Reserves win you nothing if you have no top end firepower, how many reserves do you think will move up and really cope in the top 5 ? it is a big ask.

1 hour ago, poolebolton said:

And yet Batch has an average higher than any of the flaky seven likely to be in the Poole team!  :)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Hope not

Like it, 4  gun ausies ,would be best reserve pairing in league  ,all racers

23 minutes ago, DC2 said:

And yet Batch has an average higher than any of the flaky seven likely to be in the Poole team!  :)

Is that 'any of the flaky 2018 Premiership Champions seven' that you're talking about?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Reserves win you nothing if you have no top end firepower, how many reserves do you think will move up and really cope in the top 5 ? it is a big ask.

Top end is important but strength in depth can be good when you are riding away. Having reserves that can switch in and out of the berth during the season can also be important as Poole found last year when the likes of Woryna/Worrall went in/out.

You get 3 points at home irrespective if you win by 2 or 30. Away its about pinching points from a 6 points or less defeats with draws and odd victories a bonus. Look at Poole second half of last season. Its about getting in top 4. Anything above 3 is a bonus as it puts you towards deciding your own destiny as to home/away choice in the play offs.

I will be happy to have a decent in depth team to start. If it is looking problematical come July (or even earlier) you can always tinker with the team if need be.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Top end is important but strength in depth can be good when you are riding away. Having reserves that can switch in and out of the berth during the season can also be important as Poole found last year when the likes of Woryna/Worrall went in/out.

You get 3 points at home irrespective if you win by 2 or 30. Away its about pinching points from a 6 points or less defeats with draws and odd victories a bonus. Look at Poole second half of last season. Its about getting in top 4. Anything above 3 is a bonus as it puts you towards deciding your own destiny as to home/away choice in the play offs.

I will be happy to have a decent in depth team to start. If it is looking problematical come July (or even earlier) you can always tinker with the team if need be.

An interesting theory Steve it could come good, my worry with that will you collect anough heat wins.? Thinking back Birmingham nearly won it with a workman like side ( before Doyley upped it) there trump card was Smolinski at reserve.

3 hours ago, poolebolton said:

The right strength in depth can take you to the play offs.

Poole won the league because of injuries to the two teams that had 2 big hitters..........Somerset with Doyle and Holder and Lynn with Lambert and Iversen..........both lost one of their top riders

Before the abuse none of that was Pooles fault.

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Have you anough firepower at the top end of the team? Kurtz, Holder have huge potential but if i was a Poole fan i might be a wee bit worried.

Good job you're not then ;)

8 minutes ago, Gavan said:

The right strength in depth can take you to the play offs.

Poole won the league because of injuries to the two teams that had 2 big hitters..........Somerset with Doyle and Holder and Lynn with Lambert and Iversen..........both lost one of their top riders

Before the abuse none of that was Pooles fault.

I think that Ford will be putting a lot of faith in both Kurtz (and I assume Jack Holder who has been widely mentioned on the Forum) to  find some decent form with at least one of them progressing on to become an actual Heat Leader.

If Ford builds a team of steady points scorers around then two and with 2 decent reserves it MAY surprise some come latter part of the season. Of course it also may not, but irrespective, this is due to be Ford's last season. If he doesn't find a buyer at his highly inflated idea of what the Club is worth in what has been a slowly dying sport, he threatens it may be Poole's last in the sport. 

As it stands things not looking so clever - No real TV money - No major team sponsor (as it stands) which would be the first season ever ?? - Also in the latest interview he now mentions 1/2 (probably at least 2) of the other smaller sponsors have also chosen not to  renew. Are we really surprised when the guy with arguably the highest profile in the modern era of the sport in UK has decided he wants to jack it in in favour of a new career/biz venture.

Fortunately he has enough assets and there are enough riders not fixed up where he can still put a half decent side out to hopefully compete in 2019 without breaking the Bank.