British Speedway Forum

4 hours ago, Gavan said:

Nice to see you speak highly of fellow Poole fans, one of whom Rayc , actually speaks the most sense of Poole fans on here.

What people are saying if you care to read properly is that Poole for the first time are not prepared to go the extra mile to get riders like they used to.

Poole cant afford/wont pay.....for riders like Woryna and Jacobsen and wouldnt match Ipswich for Jake Allen.

This means that either the club is not as strong financially as some want to believe , or that Matt Ford cant be bothered anymore to pull out all the stops to get the riders he wants.

Either way if this line up doesnt produce the goods i wonder how Poole will be able to afford/want to change the team

Not surprising you see someone who is very negative towards the club as someone who speaks sense. As I don't care to repeat myself a 1000 times like you I will say it one more time, Poole have only offered more than other clubs if they think the rider is worth it, if they get into a bidding war then they won't do it. I guess most riders view good sponsorship as very important. BV offered more money for Adam's but he chose Poole and Peterborough offered KL more money for Darcy but he chose Poole, mainly cos Chris Holder was very persuasive. So if you think Poole have always offered riders/their parent clubs more than other clubs that were interested in the past then you are wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Now I'll leave to carry on stirring with your wooden spoon (there is a pun in there somewhere - I'll let you work that one out lol)

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, ArthurRudge said:

How is he obsessed for having an opinion?

No he is obsessed for having one million of them that all revolve around Poole. Very strange :blink:

• Like 2

Every other post is a Gavan post. Clearly he has no presents to unwrap this year.  Totally obsessed with us. I say it again, what would these die hard anti Poole brigade who would have loved Poole to have failed said had we got beat in the semi or final. Hardly bares thinking about, Yet Gavans off again and we are only in Dec, Poor soul.

29 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Not surprising you see someone who is very negative towards the club as someone who speaks sense. As I don't care to repeat myself a 1000 times like you I will say it one more time, Poole have only offered more than other clubs if they think the rider is worth it, if they get into a bidding war then they won't do it. I guess most riders view good sponsorship as very important. BV offered more money for Adam's but he chose Poole and Peterborough offered KL more money for Darcy but he chose Poole, mainly cos Chris Holder was very persuasive. So if you think Poole have always offered riders/their parent clubs more than other clubs that were interested in the past then you are wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Now I'll leave to carry on stirring with your wooden spoon (there is a pun in there somewhere - I'll let you work that one out lol)

Give ita rest if you dont like what i write dont read it simple really dont you think

• Like 1

Think people should consider the fact that Matt wants to offload the Pirates... Maybe he has part of the excercise  in preparing it for sale he has to make the ‘books’ look as attractive as possible.  No over the top wages being paid out.  If anything to make the bottom line look appealing he is looking for riders on the cheap.

1 hour ago, semion said:

Think people should consider the fact that Matt wants to offload the Pirates... Maybe he has part of the excercise  in preparing it for sale he has to make the ‘books’ look as attractive as possible.  No over the top wages being paid out.  If anything to make the bottom line look appealing he is looking for riders on the cheap.

Yeah I would go along with that, although we have never been top of the wages/pay out bill no matter what others say ;):D

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

No he is obsessed for having one million of them that all revolve around Poole. Very strange :blink:

And very scarse on the Ipswich thread 

7 hours ago, Gavan said:

Poole cant afford/wont pay.....for riders like Woryna and Jacobsen and wouldnt match Ipswich for Jake Allen.

This means that either the club is not as strong financially as some want to believe , or that Matt Ford cant be bothered anymore to pull out all the stops to get the riders he wants.

I think you almost got there, then formed an inconsistent conclusion

Many a rider has fallen for the “Poole Speedway pays best” and have looked for excessive deals. Poole have consistently offered a fair rate but said that (a) they’ll get paid on time and (b) they’ll have a chance of picking up additional sponsorship. That’s what the attraction has been, and probably still is.

Even though there were no race suits this year, many Poole riders carried sponsorship logos from businesses that also support Poole like County Crest, Wessex Marine, Sunshine Service Centre and Meridian Lifts. 

If Poole have decided not to pay what they believe are excessive demands, it doesn’t automatically follow that either of your two assumptions - lack of funds or diminishing interest - apply. Indeed, it seems more likely that, by making sure the business remains profitable, there is a greater chance that someone will buy it as a going concern  

On the specifics, I’m not convinced about Allen. He spent a lot of 2018 moaning and seemed to sparkle in heat 2 then fail to live up to expectations. Starting the season on 5.07 and ending in what should have been an easier league on 4.56 - an average lower than Auty, Newman, Covatti, Summers etc - doesn’t sound like someone worth paying a lot for. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

On the specifics, I’m not convinced about Allen. He spent a lot of 2018 moaning and seemed to sparkle in heat 2 then fail to live up to expectations. Starting the season on 5.07 and ending in what should have been an easier league on 4.56 - an average lower than Auty, Newman, Covatti, Summers etc - doesn’t sound like someone worth paying a lot for. 

Think to many of us get caught up in the next young Aussie talent synopsis.

He isn't so young at 23 although some do start later. he was for ages arguably in the league's best team so one would have thought he would have achieved more but pretty much stood still form wise although did have some decent meetings. It could be that he turns out to be just another ok Aussie of which we have had many. Hold there own to a degree in Champ but don't always push on in Prem. Time will tell.

NBJ did quite well last season and impressed for sure in a few meeting for Leicester at end of season as Guest. Could be a bit of a surprise at reserve and the good thing is that many will not be heaping large expectancy on the guy. Last season most Poole Fans thought Spaniak would wipe the floor with his GSA at  reserve having topped the POL Nice 1 av the end of season 2017. How wrong most of us were. NBJ also being looked after by Howe in UK which will help him further as believe he will also mechanic for him.

Hopefully both Covatti and NBJ will hold there own at reserve and could also be reasonable replacements for any issues in the main team.

P.S: Not sure if anyone reported on here (haven't seen anything) but Covatti won the Argentinean Championship the other day with just 1 defeat in 7 rides. Was only beaten by one rider in heats but got revenge in the Final. Ok so it's not World Class but you can only beat whats put up against you.

Covatti is head and shoulders above the rest at that level, I doubt anyone is good enough to compete in the Championship. But like you say, you can only beat who else is in the meeting.

For those that may still be waiting for this week's Speedway Star, theres a good 3 page interview with Chris Holder about some of the off'track stuff thata affected him over the past 2 years.  It doesn't give the full detail on everything as some of it is still subject to legal but it does confirm that he is staying in Andorra at the moment as they have a more relaxed visa system, even though longer term he wants to return to live and race in UK.

ps. He had a good maximum points win at Kurri Kurri yesterday winning the Jason Crump Invitational. His brother Jack winning the 'B' final and then 4th in the 'A' final.

Fair few riders now in Andorra 5% tax and good airports all within 100 miles with regular cheap uk flights you have to put down a small bond but it is returned when you leave seems a choice of many a sportsperson.

hopefully Chris will get his issues resolved as he still has a lot to offer if he can get his issues resolved.

• Like 2

A happy rider is a fast one, I would have him in my team with an average that low,has filled in most of the so called number 1s on many occasions just lacking consistancy which in my opinion is experience, smart ,quick and entertaining rider that is ipswich’s gain poole’s loss

3 minutes ago, Spiderman1 said:

A happy rider is a fast one, I would have him in my team with an average that low,has filled in most of the so called number 1s on many occasions just lacking consistancy which in my opinion is experience, smart ,quick and entertaining rider that is ipswich’s gain poole’s loss

Are you saying he wasn't a happy bunny? I would of welcomed him at Lynn on that average.