British Speedway Forum

14 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Money is tight everywhere Steve, if they told the truth.

Ford running a tight ship is a  good thing ,he has assembled a decent side within  a budget he should be applauded.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 3

I see klindt whats to be no 1 next season

Edited by ray c

11 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

No I guess. But sometime riders will clock on and give Poole a miss in the end..Bit like a prison, at Poole your just a number :P

I don't think any rider would do that. Not many riders  are not giving will give Poole or any other team a miss because they got sacked previously. I believe there is a rule that a sacked rider cannot return the next season though.

7 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

And if we have to make changes again I have no problem with that either.

Nor has matt ford :nono:

2 hours ago, ray c said:

never said there was

Come on you only won the league because of injurys to other teams teams not because of changes but that's how  it goes sometimes 

15 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

I thought we were supposedly vulnerable in heats 13 and 15 in 2018 - yet not only did we make the play-offs but we won the Premiership trophy too.

Rule change for 2019 - there will be no heats 13 and 15!  ;)  Cost cutting exercise!

10 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

Come on you only won the league because of injurys to other teams teams not because of changes but that's how  it goes sometimes 

I know that im not blue tint like some on here B)

15 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I would  not hold to much bearing on the Aussie form, apart from Fricke who should win it the rest can all beat each other on any given day.For most of the Aussies it is a working break, they will do there best and the racing is good  for there conditioning and race fitness but it is is not really life or death  then they are all  ready to rumble again in Europe.

Although isnt there qualifying places up for grabs for the gp qualifiers hence Chris Holder is riding.

Looks like the track isnt great in this current round with inside gates favourite

Kurtz going a bit better but Holder being left behind by Fricke and Tungate in the run for gold.

Yet again Lidsey impressing beating Holder and Kurtz what a steal he could turn out to be

1 minute ago, Gavan said:

Although isnt there qualifying places up for grabs for the gp qualifiers hence Chris Holder is riding.

Looks like the track isnt great in this current round with inside gates favourite

Kurtz going a bit better but Holder being left behind by Fricke and Tungate in the run for gold.

Yet again Lidsey impressing beating Holder and Kurtz what a steal he could turn out to be

Track looks a lovely shape outside gates look terrible though.Fricke/ Tungate look quick Kurtz again throws in one bad ride Lidsey looks terrific that year in Poland has brought him on.

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Nor has matt ford :nono:

Wtf?? You moan about the team not being strong enough and then you are moaning about changes?? :blink:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

Changes got us in the playoffs though..

33 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Track looks a lovely shape outside gates look terrible though.Fricke/ Tungate look quick Kurtz again throws in one bad ride Lidsey looks terrific that year in Poland has brought him on.

Nice of Jack Holder to let Chris come through in the last chance race

16 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I was waiting for that :-)

I don't doubt that Poole has some good sponsors. However the loss of the main team sponsor and at least 2 other regular one's is a concern.

Can we stop kidding ourselves Skidder. In any other season I think Matt would have snapped up both Woryna & Jakobsen. The fact remains money is tight at Poole and Matt has had to  reign in expenditure for 2019. The combination of major team sponsor loss (plus the others) and no doubt trying to balance the books for a possible sale must have an effect.

The facts remain we may be the only club without a Major Team Sponsor. Yes we have others but we should do. Dorset is one of the most affluent areas of the UK, and historically in the modern era of top flight speedway in UK, Poole have been the main team. Yet we have not attracted a main sponsor for 2019. I can't even think of any football club in any of the 4 main leagues in England who doesn't have a main team sponsor.

The obvious question is why when it is such a rich area. You have to think that the possible departure of the most successful Promoter of the last 15 years has to have something to do with it, unless big biz locally just doesn't want to have such a major association with the sport down in Dorset.

All we need now is another embarrassing announcement that the team will be in race bibs again to compound it all. It is wrong imo that a club like Poole does not have team kevlars. What message does that  send the sport around Europe. Important ??? - For you maybe not, but its as much about image and looking professional . Let's hope local biz digs deep if Ford can't afford it again which wouldn't surprise me after least season and his bemoaning of the situation before a wheel is turned. If he or they don't invest in kevlars then it sends it's own message in my book. Of course Matt may be thinking of the revolving door scenario again next season after the rider changes for various reasons this. Fortunately most if not all other Prem teams and even Champ teams don't think that way when kitting out their riders.

Hope I am wrong and team kevlars are purchased somehow.

The decision to go with race bibs in 2018 was to reflect the 70th Anniversary - that logo was then reflected in a load of new merchandise and will be retained as part of the club design. MF has already stated that team kevlars are a possibility for 2019 and he may consider each set being sponsored by/auctioned off to individuals - subject I guess to whether there is any main team branding or if one of the existing sponsors is given more prominence.  Its not as if Poole were the only team not to have team kevlars last season!!

Just to be clear, money isn't tight at Poole - its just currently tighter than it has been in recent seasons and yes that is possibly also to do with MF  publicly wishing to step away (which he won't do if he doesn't get a suitable buyer!).  Finding a suitable buyer and having a trusted day-to-day management/promotion team in place for when he's away I would suggest is higher up his list of priorities than getting a main sponsor.  (NB. Still plenty of time for both!) The club hasn't run at a loss for many seasons - despite the horrendous losses due to rain-offs at the start of last season.

The 'loss' of the 2017/18 Main sponsor - Poole Volvo - was somewhat expected as it was only a 2-year deal. What has put MF on the back foot somewhat is the loss of the 2 other sponsoring companies - both of which are due to financial pressures in their respective businesses. In one case it is due to a major costly business expansion which has currently led to a withdrawal of all sponsorship - not just speedway.

What annoys me somewhat are the continual jibes from so-called Poole fans - I expect it from opposition 'fans'! -  when the 2019 team retains 4 of the successful 2018 team, thereby retaining some continuity, brings back a club asset and at the same time manages to do it within the 42.50 team building limit, by losing 2.5 points from the 2018 ending team - and we're still only in January - 3 months before Poole's season commences.

Rant over. COYP:rolleyes:

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

What annoys me somewhat are the continual jibes from so-called Poole fans - I expect it from opposition 'fans'! -  when the 2019 team retains 4 of the successful 2018 team, thereby retaining some continuity, brings back a club asset and at the same time manages to do it within the 42.50 team building limit, by losing 2.5 points from the 2018 ending team - and we're still only in January - 3 months before Poole's season commences.

Rant over. COYP:rolleyes:

That's speedway supporters Skids!!