British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Nice of Jack Holder to let Chris come through in the last chance race

Not exactly how Speedway Updates called it but at least they both beat Lidsey and Masters.

Good to see Brady make the final though and in 5th place overall. Great to see 3 Poole assets in the top 5 after 4 rounds!

Edited by Skidder1

20 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Nice of Jack Holder to let Chris come through in the last chance race

I think the old Chris has gone now on the decline he will still ride at a good level though.

12 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The decision to go with race bibs in 2018 was to reflect the 70th Anniversary - that logo was then reflected in a load of new merchandise and will be retained as part of the club design. MF has already stated that team kevlars are a possibility for 2019 and he may consider each set being sponsored by/auctioned off to individuals - subject I guess to whether there is any main team branding or if one of the existing sponsors is given more prominence.  Its not as if Poole were the only team not to have team kevlars last season!!

Just to be clear, money isn't tight at Poole - its just currently tighter than it has been in recent seasons and yes that is possibly also to do with MF  publicly wishing to step away (which he won't do if he doesn't get a suitable buyer!).  Finding a suitable buyer and having a trusted day-to-day management/promotion team in place for when he's away I would suggest is higher up his list of priorities than getting a main sponsor.  (NB. Still plenty of time for both!) The club hasn't run at a loss for many seasons - despite the horrendous losses due to rain-offs at the start of last season.

The 'loss' of the 2017/18 Main sponsor - Poole Volvo - was somewhat expected as it was only a 2-year deal. What has put MF on the back foot somewhat is the loss of the 2 other sponsoring companies - both of which are due to financial pressures in their respective businesses. In one case it is due to a major costly business expansion which has currently led to a withdrawal of all sponsorship - not just speedway.

What annoys me somewhat are the continual jibes from so-called Poole fans - I expect it from opposition 'fans'! -  when the 2019 team retains 4 of the successful 2018 team, thereby retaining some continuity, brings back a club asset and at the same time manages to do it within the 42.50 team building limit, by losing 2.5 points from the 2018 ending team - and we're still only in January - 3 months before Poole's season commences.

Rant over. COYP:rolleyes:

Good feedback Skidder and thanks for your imput.

Our exchange is what the Forum is all about. Sensible and intelligent debate on the various aspects of our club currently.

I know you are both a loyal and enthusiastic supporter as well as a sponsor. Long may people like you be involved in our sport.

You are correct in your last paragraph. Matt was faced with a 2 fold issue for 2019. One being having to lose I think it was 2.64 points and secondly having to look at cost as we know that while in a perfect World we want the best up and coming Worlds riders we also have to look at the costs associated with flying them in each week and all the associated expenses at the clubs cost. Something I assume we do not have to do with riders based here such as Holder Jr & Kurtz.

You can never please everyone on the team selection with the situation we have on points limit and costs. However yes Matt has done well to put together a side which I personally think will be competitive and thankfully for once we do not have people saying we will win the league/wipe the floor with the opposition. Think I would prefer we go in without too much  expectation other than holding our own and then let's see how the season develops.

On a slightly negative I see yet again Brady blew an A final by coming last. For some reason both last season and this he seems incapable of putting it together when it matters and also as far as Aussie is concerned in the last 2 seasons he seems incapable of beating Tungate on Aussie tracks unless Tungate falls or gets excluded. He really needs to sort out this big race choking he seems to have. Okay I will grant the fact that on this track it  was suited to the inside gaters but both Fricke (almost 99% now Aussie Champ) and Tungate made sure they won most of the qualifiers to bag those gates.

I won't read too much into Aussie form but it does seem a repetitive problem with Brady. Hopefully though both him and Jack Holder will qualify for the SGP qualifiers although have no idea how many qualify from the final scorers over the 5 meetings. Maybe someone knows ??

50 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I think the old Chris has gone now on the decline he will still ride at a good level though.

I couldn't disagree more.

Chris is hungry again and with much progress with many of his off-track issues, he can now focus on his speedway again.  Just need the UK visa situ to be finally and fully sorted and we'll see him back racing at the top in the Premiership again.

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Wtf?? You moan about the team not being strong enough and then you are moaning about changes?? :blink:

Why dont you surprise your self and write something construtive for a change :o

Edited by ray c

9 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I couldn't disagree more.

Chris is hungry again and with much progress with many of his off-track issues, he can now focus on his speedway again.  Just need the UK visa situ to be finally and fully sorted and we'll see him back racing at the top in the Premiership again.

In the watered down PL maybe but his World Championship days are finished.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Not exactly how Speedway Updates called it but at least they both beat Lidsey and Masters.

Good to see Brady make the final though and in 5th place overall. Great to see 3 Poole assets in the top 5 after 4 rounds!

I watched it live

Jack gated, looked round at the end of lap one and then the next turn drifted wide and his brother come under him and Jack made no attempt to defend.

Not saying he should or shouldnt have done it but it was obvious

20 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

In the watered down PL maybe but his World Championship days are finished.

Chris Holder isnt a realistic contender on a world stage anymore but has had a great career.

The Holder of 3-4 years ago would destroy this field..fact is his younger brother is better now along with the like of Fricke

12 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Chris Holder isnt a realistic contender on a world stage anymore but has had a great career.

The Holder of 3-4 years ago would destroy this field..fact is his younger brother is better now along with the like of Fricke

Jack Holder is no way better than Chris at the moment- maybe will be but not at present.

• Like 2

quite agree chris is still better than jack and max people seem to forget is private life as   been topsy turvy for the last couple years 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Good feedback Skidder and thanks for your imput.

Our exchange is what the Forum is all about. Sensible and intelligent debate on the various aspects of our club currently.

I know you are both a loyal and enthusiastic supporter as well as a sponsor. Long may people like you be involved in our sport.

You are correct in your last paragraph. Matt was faced with a 2 fold issue for 2019. One being having to lose I think it was 2.64 points and secondly having to look at cost as we know that while in a perfect World we want the best up and coming Worlds riders we also have to look at the costs associated with flying them in each week and all the associated expenses at the clubs cost. Something I assume we do not have to do with riders based here such as Holder Jr & Kurtz.

You can never please everyone on the team selection with the situation we have on points limit and costs. However yes Matt has done well to put together a side which I personally think will be competitive and thankfully for once we do not have people saying we will win the league/wipe the floor with the opposition. Think I would prefer we go in without too much  expectation other than holding our own and then let's see how the season develops.

On a slightly negative I see yet again Brady blew an A final by coming last. For some reason both last season and this he seems incapable of putting it together when it matters and also as far as Aussie is concerned in the last 2 seasons he seems incapable of beating Tungate on Aussie tracks unless Tungate falls or gets excluded. He really needs to sort out this big race choking he seems to have. Okay I will grant the fact that on this track it  was suited to the inside gaters but both Fricke (almost 99% now Aussie Champ) and Tungate made sure they won most of the qualifiers to bag those gates.

I won't read too much into Aussie form but it does seem a repetitive problem with Brady. Hopefully though both him and Jack Holder will qualify for the SGP qualifiers although have no idea how many qualify from the final scorers over the 5 meetings. Maybe someone knows ??

ONLY TOP 3 FOR  SGP QUALIFIERS SO NO POOLE RIDERS LOL 

38 minutes ago, ray c said:

quite agree chris is still better than jack and max people seem to forget is private life as   been topsy turvy for the last couple years 

YEAH RIGHT :rofl::rofl:

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

I watched it live

Jack gated, looked round at the end of lap one and then the next turn drifted wide and his brother come under him and Jack made no attempt to defend.

Not saying he should or shouldnt have done it but it was obvious

Reading the SGB meeting report could explain it.

According to that the 3 top riders over the 5 meetings automatically qualify for the SGP qualifying Semi Finals. Jack was already 12/14 points plus back so knew no chance of overtaking Chris for that last qualifying place. Maybe Jack did big brother a small favor in cementing that spot.

4 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

Oh contraire I think we still count Chris Holder as a Poole rider even if he isn't riding for us currently.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

Press release a bit confusing.

Last season (2018)  the 4th & 5th qualified for the qualifiers and the set up for 2019 seems to be the same looking on the FIM calendar for SGP qualifiers for 2019. It mentions 4 qualifying meetings and then the SGP Challenge same as 2018.

Don't quite get what SGB website means by SGP Semi Finals ???

If it is 5 riders get some form of qualification like last season then Holder Jr & Kurtz CURRENTLY fill those places with Masters & Lidsey a few points back.

Have the FIM  reduced it from 5 to 3 and why do SGB say SGP Qualification semi finals which would normally be 2 meetings ???

Anyone know for sure what applies ??