British Speedway Forum

When you have 13 or 14 riders in your “squad” team kevlars become an expensive item for an ailing sport. 

Ford knows multiple team changes wins trophies and the fact this practice, aided by the play off system, drives away fans means little to him or the non speedway fans that follow him. 

Sticks in my craw though to these types revel in the demise of our lovely sport. Your job is nearly done though, so well done. I just pity your next target. 

28 minutes ago, ouch said:

When you have 13 or 14 riders in your “squad” team kevlars become an expensive item for an ailing sport. 

Ford knows multiple team changes wins trophies and the fact this practice, aided by the play off system, drives away fans means little to him or the non speedway fans that follow him. 

Sticks in my craw though to these types revel in the demise of our lovely sport. Your job is nearly done though, so well done. I just pity your next target. 

Winning trophies drives away fans!!

1 hour ago, Pirates Of Poole said:

Did it stop us from winning the league, no but that isn’t the point!! 

Most clubs did actually have them! Easily get 7 fans who could pay say £500 to sponsor the team suit for the year, at the end of the season you get to keep them.

Backward step in my eyes, not that hard to look uniformed and professional!

There is options if money is the issue, which I now find hard to believe with a few new sponsors on board for 2019.

Maybe I’m just a far too passionate supporter & sponsor who wants the team sport look more professional. 

I just don't get it with Matt Ford. He even said in an Echo interview prior to getting the new team sponsor that he would consider outside sponsorship for the kevlars even at individual level. Yet he gets a sponsor and is only to pleased to be quick off the mark to say he will now be able to afford mid season changes if required.

Of course ultimately we all want to win the league, but to me in the teams sponsored kevlars looks so much more professional. When you look at say Woryna last season he looked so out of place against the rest of the team in his red kevlars. I can only give my honest opinion which I think is like the majority, that it does not convey the right message and for the life of me I can't see why it can't be done in conjunction with both individuals or companies to contribute towards it.

Unless of course this is all about making sure that he does not have to invest a single dime more on outgoings as part of showing no negative costs on the books as part of the sale. I am not saying it is but why when the majority of clubs also in Champ have Kevlar deals for the team. Heck this is supposed to be the affluent South Coast area of Dorset where plenty of money is washing around yet a Club with the profile of Poole can't afford to deck out its riders even if a number of different supporters/sponsors step up. 

Won't even need new bibs will he if he recycles last seasons ????????????

• Like 1

I was brought up on race bibs I prefer them to team kevlars. I go to watch the racing not bothered about looking professional as long as I see good speedway that's what will bring the fans back

• Like 5

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I just don't get it with Matt Ford. He even said in an Echo interview prior to getting the new team sponsor that he would consider outside sponsorship for the kevlars even at individual level. Yet he gets a sponsor and is only to pleased to be quick off the mark to say he will now be able to afford mid season changes if required.

Of course ultimately we all want to win the league, but to me in the teams sponsored kevlars looks so much more professional. When you look at say Woryna last season he looked so out of place against the rest of the team in his red kevlars. I can only give my honest opinion which I think is like the majority, that it does not convey the right message and for the life of me I can't see why it can't be done in conjunction with both individuals or companies to contribute towards it.

Unless of course this is all about making sure that he does not have to invest a single dime more on outgoings as part of showing no negative costs on the books as part of the sale. I am not saying it is but why when the majority of clubs also in Champ have Kevlar deals for the team. Heck this is supposed to be the affluent South Coast area of Dorset where plenty of money is washing around yet a Club with the profile of Poole can't afford to deck out its riders even if a number of different supporters/sponsors step up. 

Won't even need new bibs will he if he recycles last seasons ????????????

got even worse when bomber arrived no wonder speedway is classed a mickey mouse sport :blink:

52 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

I was brought up on race bibs I prefer them to team kevlars. I go to watch the racing not bothered about looking professional as long as I see good speedway that's what will bring the fans back

Whilst i agree with the racing side of it,i also think as it's a team sport you should all look the same like in every other team sport.People moan and groan about speedway being stuck in the 70's and 80's well having no team kevlars is one that is still from that era.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, ray c said:

got even worse when bomber arrived no wonder speedway is classed a mickey mouse sport :blink:

As a final note from me on this.

Can't help but check back on some old SGB stats. Rider volume at Poole started to really go up from 2015 continuing through 2016/17/18. Prior to that the rider turnover doesn't seem so big.

Looking at the rider turnover you would probably have needed 10/11 sets of kevlars per season (at least) to keep up with keeping the team kitted out with all the rider changes either through loss of form or injury. So as a budget I think Ford would need to factor in at least 10 sets from a cost perspective, less what individuals/companies would chip in.

Ultimately the most important thing is that Poole put out a team that can compete even if it does mean changes (if affordable) as the season progresses. Just a shame that not having the kevlars the same throughout the team. I wonder if Matt really didp ut it out there to see if there could be a decent level of interest to kit the team out and allow for some additional suits for the no doubt inevitable changes. Can't recall seeing anything on the Poole website asking about possible interest. Having said that can't recall seeing anything about bibs either except on this Forum.

20 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Whilst i agree with the racing side of it,i also think as it's a team sport you should all look the same like in every other team sport.People moan and groan about speedway being stuck in the 70's and 80's well having no team kevlars is one that is still from that era.

But look at the crowds from that era 

4 minutes ago, Booey boy said:

But look at the crowds from that era 

Yes crowds were good,but wasn't much else to do back then in reality.Are crowds smaller now because they haven't moved on?Racing to me seems pretty much the same.I still watch some matches from the 70's and 80's and there were plenty of dull races then.People just thought it was better because of the bigger crowds and better atmosphere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ray c said:

I wouldnt have cared if Bomber rode round in a wet suit. He put bums on seats and did what he was brought in to do .

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Yes crowds were good,but wasn't much else to do back then in reality.Are crowds smaller now because they haven't moved on?Racing to me seems pretty much the same.I still watch some matches from the 70's and 80's and there were plenty of dull races then.People just thought it was better because of the bigger crowds and better atmosphere.

I've got to say I think there is a lot of elements that led to the demise of speedway silencers for one laydown engines and rider contact is just a few I must admit back then at the start of a meeting heart started beating a bit faster and expectations were high but now it's gone not there anymore 

Makes you wonder how speedway survived during the 70s  / 80s without 'team kevlars' ?

I'd much prefer it if every team went back to race jackets  TBH

Edited by WestGorton1884
  • Like 7

44 minutes ago, Starman2006 said:

I wouldnt have cared if Bomber rode round in a wet suit. He put bums on seats and did what he was brought in for .

Nobody talking about the ability of rider's we are referring to the professionalisation of our sport which doesn't always sends out  good vibes 

Just now, ray c said:

Nobody talking about the ability of rider's we are referring to the professionalisation of our sport which doesn't always sends out  good vibes 

You got a spare £500 kicking around to do what Pirates of poole suggests?  Then if you have get hold of 6 more fans and put it together sponsor them and at the end of the season when we win the league you get to keep one .

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, tellboy said:

So the racing at Kings Lynn is now as good as it always was ?  Not what I see on the TV. Used to be one of my favourite tracks. Can't remember the last great meeting I saw their on the TV

• Like 2