British Speedway Forum

6 minutes ago, Aviator said:

There are “faster” routes but they often get clogged up with late afternoon traffic. To be honest, in terms of journey time I think your route is as good as any.

Cheers thanks for reply.

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

That really would only work (maybe) on one track in the country. Are you suggesting the other 22 close down?

Many people suggest that UK should copy Poland - but Poland thrives on team racing. Individual meetings are just an add on and seldom attract big crowds. In UK, supporters don’t turn out in big numbers for individual events either - compare crowd levels for play-offs versus league riders’ championships  

But, if you really believe a two day festival of speedway as you envisage it would work - sidecars, juniors, and solos - why not get a group of like minded individuals and rent the NSS for a couple of days and run the event? 

Don't think anyone would seriously say we should follow Poland..

The sport wouldn't last a month...

Woffy's one match salary alone would need every club in the land to pay it as Wroclaw would have a crowd of more than double what the whole of Premiership would get combined at home in a week..:D

Sadly, don't have the money to set up as an 'independent' and let's face it, anyone trying to muscle in would face insurmountable opposition..

However, if I was burning money hand over fist doing the same thing over and over again I might consider trying something different and even if I end up burning more cash, at least I had tried to see if another way would work...

But, ultimately you are right,  probably best keep running the sport in the country the way it has been now for donkeys years without any radical, innovative changes....

Especially,  as it's all going so very, very well. .

32 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Woffy's one match salary alone would need every club in the land to pay it as Wroclaw would have a crowd of more than double what the whole of Premiership would get combined at home in a week..:D

Sadly, don't have the money to set up as an 'independent' and let's face it, anyone trying to muscle in would face insurmountable opposition..

However, if I was burning money hand over fist doing the same thing over and over again I might consider trying something different and even if I end up burning more cash, at least I had tried to see if another way would work...

But, ultimately you are right,  probably best keep running the sport in the country the way it has been now for donkeys years without any radical, innovative changes....

Maybe every promoter could promote a meeting monthly with solos, sidecars, juniors etc but would that keep our speedways going, I'd hate it, I want team speedway myself ....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

Just asking for advice from Poole fans.Am travelling down on Monday for Wolves meeting usually come down M5 then past blunsdon ,Salisbury and Ringwood.Is that the best route or is there quicker way?

Try and get past Ringwood before 5pm!! 

3 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

Just asking for advice from Poole fans.Am travelling down on Monday for Wolves meeting usually come down M5 then past blunsdon ,Salisbury and Ringwood.Is that the best route or is there quicker way?

To avoid Ringwood, you could take the Blandford Forum road as you leave Salisbury. From Blandford Forum simply follow the signs for Poole. You will know when you are approaching Poole as you will see a dust cloud!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

What sort of changes would you suggest?

With Poland it is totally different,don't think the clubs would survive there if it wasn't for things like TV,and government fundings.Basically clubs wouldn't be able to pay their riders the vast amounts they are supposedly on just from admission from fans alone.

We really need the big company sponsors of years ago to get the sport back on it's feet here i think.

19 minutes ago, tellboy said:

What sort of changes would you suggest?

With Poland it is totally different,don't think the clubs would survive there if it wasn't for things like TV,and government fundings.Basically clubs wouldn't be able to pay their riders the vast amounts they are supposedly on just from admission from fans alone.

We really need the big company sponsors of years ago to get the sport back on it's feet here i think.

No big company would touch it with a barge pole...

Taking away the fact the level of crowds attending,  the media interest that gets generated currently, and the small TV audiences that watch it wouldn't justify their sponsorship outlay given the lack of brand awareness delivered...

Just put yourself in a major company CEO's shoes going into last year's play offs where you have your name (and therefore 'brand values' in the publics eyes) emblazoned across all the pre meeting publicity, and then get told by the sports governing body that they have sanctioned that both teams will be sharing two competitors and swapping them during 'half time'...

Neither of whom are actually contracted to either of the finalists by the way, but ringers brought in for the occasion..

The watching public would consider the final a laughing stock and your companies name will be associated with it..

And this scenario was actually signed off by those who run the sport don't forget...

I would suggest Speedway is a long, long way off from getting any major sponsorship given its operating model allows such things to take place..

I would also suggest if Poland ran Britain's current operating model it too would be in a similar position..

Hence it doesn't. ..

Edited by mikebv

39 minutes ago, Aviator said:

To avoid Ringwood, you could take the Blandford Forum road as you leave Salisbury. From Blandford Forum simply follow the signs for Poole. You will know when you are approaching Poole as you will see a dust cloud!!

If he can see the dust cloud as he approaches Poole then he is late for the start of the meeting! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mikebv said:

Just put yourself in a major company CEO's shoes going into last year's play offs where you have your name (and therefore 'brand values' in the publics eyes) emblazoned across all the pre meeting publicity, and then get told by the sports governing body that they have sanctioned that both teams will be sharing two competitors and swapping them during 'half time'...

Neither of whom are actually contracted to either of the finalists by the way, but ringers brought in for the occasion..

They wouldn't do that surely? It's an imaginative nightmare scenario surely? It simply couldn't happen in a well run professional sport, could it?

On 6/9/2019 at 8:04 PM, poole keith said:

at the track today "extensive"work not done this wk, arrival of road grader postponed for a few wks,track to my unqualified eye looks good but according to the guys the top surface is basically just dust,and matt been told this wk theyve nothing to work with

Pmsl do these guys have a brain cell between them course they have nothing to work with they've known this for god knows how long, you can't make a purse out of a sow's ear.

Edited by ArthurRudge
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

They wouldn't do that surely? It's an imaginative nightmare scenario surely? It simply couldn't happen in a well run professional sport, could it?

Maybe guests shouldn't be named, just call them guest rider ....

Well down richie winning the scottish open at Edinburgh tonight

Doesn't anyone like my idea above about not naming a guest rider, maybe no rider should be named, let's just call them 1-7 for whatever team is racing then no worries haha.  That's how I watch football if I ever watch it, don't know the players names just the colours they are wearing .....

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Well down richie winning the scottish open at Edinburgh tonight

Shows he can still win on a decent track.

8 hours ago, Trackrat said:

Shows he can still win on a decent track.

He can win at any track he's a good rider but onlySchlein was Premiership quality.