British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Fair enough on that. No point Poole running a meeting when the team are at Swindon. We normally take a lot of fans to Blunsdon and being top of the league will no doubt bring a couple of hundred fans along. Those would miss the kids meeting. 

Why book it in when fans are away from home, that's plain stupid ....

4 minutes ago, Trees said:

Why book it in when fans are away from home, that's plain stupid ....

I am not defending the cancellation. Change the date imo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I am not defending the cancellation. Change the date imo.

We are not at swindon on that night

17 minutes ago, ray c said:

We are not at swindon on that night

I wonder who gave that false information? Skiddely! 

20 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

I wonder who gave that false information? Skiddely! 

like I said it is still on the poole website as that date maybe it was change  because of the youth championship

3 hours ago, ray c said:

so I see meeting must have been changed for some reason still on the poole website though .we are not very clever at keeping our supporters informed im afraid ?

Always been Sept 19 on the Swindon website because I noted them all down to avoid arranging work trips. Only had 1 change so far and that was the Swindon Ipswich match.

According to the Poole website we have Swindon at home on the 19th and away to Swindon on the 22nd.

I do not understand the comments about Poole racing on 22nd August when the Under 16 Championship round was due to take place. No fixture is shown on the BSPA or Poole websites, so it appears that it has been cancelled due to the smaller crowd that often attends these meetings. If that is the case why did Poole Speedway agree to the meeting in the first place? I saw two rounds of this championship at Rye House and very entertaining they were. OK, out of the 40 odd races only about a quarter were close but the meetings were still well worth going to. I have heard many fans over the years who say such meetings should be supported but they always had an excuse not to attend themselves. Now it appears Poole Speedway have joined the list of saying what a good idea something is but not being willing to support that idea. Very sad but not surprised. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I do not understand the comments about Poole racing on 22nd August when the Under 16 Championship round was due to take place. No fixture is shown on the BSPA or Poole websites, so it appears that it has been cancelled due to the smaller crowd that often attends these meetings. If that is the case why did Poole Speedway agree to the meeting in the first place? I saw two rounds of this championship at Rye House and very entertaining they were. OK, out of the 40 odd races only about a quarter were close but the meetings were still well worth going to. I have heard many fans over the years who say such meetings should be supported but they always had an excuse not to attend themselves. Now it appears Poole Speedway have joined the list of saying what a good idea something is but not being willing to support that idea. Very sad but not surprised. 

If staging the U16 Cham[ionship was not a viable financial option it's understandable why Poole declined the event.

Just now, gustix said:

If staging the U16 Cham[ionship was not a viable financial option it's understandable why Poole declined the event.

I can agree with that BUT they agreed to run the meeting and then changed their minds half way through the season. If they didn't know what sort of crowd would attend then whoever agreed to run a round is a fool. If they had said no at the beginning of the season and never agreed with whatever reasons they felt were justified that is one thing but dropping the fixture when junior riders and their families will have made plans is totally wrong. Poole gets a lot of unjustified criticism, as well as some justified, but this is a dreadful let down for the riders of the future who I hope when they become stars will treat Poole the way they are being treated as juniors. 

• Like 6

Again until the real reason is known don't want to comment

26 minutes ago, gustix said:

This is a hard world and actions as taken by Poole are justifiable in the interests of the club. They realised that staging the junior championship would affect them financially and took the needed action to safeguard themselves. If its staging is such an attractive event in the speedway calendar why has no other club come forward to stage it? For a sport generally accepted as being in decline in Britain the comment about the future is a optimistic in my view. How many speedway clubs will there be in the UK in 2025 for these kids to race at if the annual trend of closures continues?

maybe to many races in one evening surely the club will have to make a statement at some stage lets just wait and see

Edited by ray c

So it's okay for all other clubs to lose money by staging an event,,, but not poole.  They should be forced to hold an event,,, or be fined more than the loss of revenue. 

• Like 1

Poole don't like brits, why would they encourage British youngsters, no benefit to them.

3 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

So it's okay for all other clubs to lose money by staging an event,,, but not poole.  They should be forced to hold an event,,, or be fined more than the loss of revenue. 

It's about giving something back to the sport. It was sponsored, to what extent I don't know. 

• Like 1