British Speedway Forum

15 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Matt hasn't got a 'total lack of finance at the moment'!  There are many other sponsors still firmly on board, but As he says himself he needs to cut his cloth accordingly for the time being.

He's already talked about Fredrik Jakobsen potentially being brought in mid-season if required! So presumably there would be funding for such an occurrance?!

Okay remove the word "total" but the fact is he is working on arguably a much lower budget in view of the situation.

As for Jakobsen. You sound like Matt's PR machine. The Echo article states:

“I am hoping he will get set up in Britain and there is a possibility with one or two clubs. But if he doesn’t, he would certainly come into our consideration should we need to make change.

I hope Jakobsen does get fixed up somewhere as he can at least use another club to get a full seasons UK experience which hopefully Poole can use for it's benefit in future.

Matt has always had kind words for rider he has been forced to release. He regularly says he would hope that xyz rider could be used again in the future. It would indeed be presumptious to assume he would have the finance in place to use Jakobsen again this season, and that is even on the assumption he was available.

Not having a dig at Poole. I just feel that in times like these fans need to be realistic in their expectations of the team. I am sure Matt will still put out a competitive team which will hopefully keep within the top 4, but most importantly give home supporters entertainment and enough home wins to keep the fans clicking through the turnstiles in good volume.

21 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Heard the new promoters are Matt’s sons.

Well one of them at least  + one from one of the sponsors - unless there's been a last minute change which might be the reason for the delay in the announcement?!

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Well one of them at least  + one from one of the sponsors - unless there's been a last minute change which might be the reason for the delay in the announcement?!

If one or both Matt's sons are involved, then IF Matt were not to find a buyer this coming season, maybe he will support his son/s carrying the sport forward at Poole after 2019.

I personally wish them the best of luck and let's hope that with some input also from Matt if overseas, the Ford Dynasty can continue in some form within Poole Speedway for many seasons to come. Good luck also to the Sponsor if one of them has taken a leap of faith into jointly running the club.

19 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Okay remove the word "total" but the fact is he is working on arguably a much lower budget in view of the situation.

As for Jakobsen. You sound like Matt's PR machine. The Echo article states:

“I am hoping he will get set up in Britain and there is a possibility with one or two clubs. But if he doesn’t, he would certainly come into our consideration should we need to make change.

I hope Jakobsen does get fixed up somewhere as he can at least use another club to get a full seasons UK experience which hopefully Poole can use for it's benefit in future.

Matt has always had kind words for rider he has been forced to release. He regularly says he would hope that xyz rider could be used again in the future. It would indeed be presumptious to assume he would have the finance in place to use Jakobsen again this season, and that is even on the assumption he was available.

Not having a dig at Poole. I just feel that in times like these fans need to be realistic in their expectations of the team. I am sure Matt will still put out a competitive team which will hopefully keep within the top 4, but most importantly give home supporters entertainment and enough home wins to keep the fans clicking through the turnstiles in good volume.

All the fans I know are being realistic.  Whats wrong with a team that should have 4 from the title-winning team of 2018, plus 3 who are at least as good with potential to be consistently better than the 3 they are replacing?  Many fans  (of all clubs) complain about not retaining some continuity in team building, yet when clubs do thats apparently 'unrealistic'!?

Clubs just can't seem to win with some fans who consistently talk the sport down!!  A great shame really.

5 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

If one or both Matt's sons are involved, then IF Matt were not to find a buyer this coming season, maybe he will support his son/s carrying the sport forward at Poole after 2019.

I personally wish them the best of luck and let's hope that with some input also from Matt if overseas, the Ford Dynasty can continue in some form within Poole Speedway for many seasons to come. Good luck also to the Sponsor if one of them has taken a leap of faith into jointly running the club.

They will be co-promoters NOT owners and mainly responsible for the day to day arrangements with Matt flying in on match days - a bit like riders do. Matt has stated this himself.

Anyway, 5th rider announcement timed for 10.30pm this evening!! I don't expect it to be a surprise as tomorrow's media coverage will have to vie with AFC Bournemouth's match at Chelsea tonight.

Edited by Skidder1

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

All the fans I know are being realistic.  Whats wrong with a team that should have 4 from the title-winning team of 2018, plus 3 who are at least as good with potential to be consistently better than the 3 they are replacing?  Many fans  (of all clubs) complain about not retaining some continuity in team building, yet when clubs do thats apparently 'unrealistic'!?

If Poole were truly interested in continuity you could have retained six of the team and replaced Chris Harris with Stefan Nielsen, but of course Matt isn’t interested in that because Woryna and Jacobsen are no longer on false averages.  :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

They will be co-promoters NOT owners and mainly responsible for the day to day arrangements with Matt flying in on match days - a bit like riders do. Matt has stated this himself.

I know. BUT thinking ahead if Matt does not find a suitable buyer for the club, could it be that he lets the co-promoters i.e son & sponsor, continue to run the club going forward in his continued ownership after 2019 ?? If they are interested in continuing that is.

I know it's not Matt's first choice option, but unless someone with a love for the sport and deep pockets, or a large Commercial operation shows interest, it would surely be better than just stopping the sport ??

Anyway that's one for the future.

2 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I know. BUT thinking ahead if Matt does not find a suitable buyer for the club, could it be that he lets the co-promoters i.e son & sponsor, continue to run the club going forward in his continued ownership after 2019 ?? If they are interested in continuing that is.

I know it's not Matt's first choice option, but unless someone with a love for the sport and deep pockets, or a large Commercial operation shows interest, it would surely be better than just stopping the sport ??

Anyway that's one for the future.

Why would the sport be stopped?  Do you think the BSPA would stand by and let a club with Poole's reputation and fanbase disappear?

Maybe only if the stadium suddenly became unavailable.

35 minutes ago, DC2 said:

If Poole were truly interested in continuity you could have retained six of the team and replaced Chris Harris with Stefan Nielsen, but of course Matt isn’t interested in that because Woryna and Jacobsen are no longer on false averages.  :)

Jacobsen and Woryna are too expensive, that is the reason, they are on averages they could substantially improve on .

29 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Why would the sport be stopped?  Do you think the BSPA would stand by and let a club with Poole's reputation and fanbase disappear?

Reputation, yes. Fanbase, well maybe a people’s vote would be needed.  :)

46 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

They stood by and let other “bigger” clubs like Cradley and Coventry close!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Of course they would let Poole close not ideal but why would Poole get any special kind of help.

Clubs like Cradley and Coventry to name but two were allowed to close and nobody in the sport could do anything to save those............and they are two clubs with more history than Poole.

No fan wants to see any club close (Ford to leave the sport will be good) and certainly not Poole, but as ive said why would they get any help?