British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, ray c said:

I think you are right it makes us vulnerable when coming to heat 13 and 15 though 

I still think the key for Poole in 2019 is Kurtz.

He came to Europe well before Holder who stayed in Aussie to complete studies or finish an apprenticeship (cant remember which). Kurtz came to DK in 2013 and raced and lived there. Then started UK in 2014. Jack started in Europe (UK) 2015 so a fair bit after Brady.

Many have been saying for at least 2 years they thought Jack would become the better rider long term although initially I didn't agree. I think maybe they are right. Perhaps Jack has that bit of an arrogant streak you need as a rider where Brady maybe too much a nice guy ??

Brady at times looked brilliant in 2017 and although excuses were made about him not  ready for number 1 in 2018 he still didn't look the same rider as 2017. I made comments that maybe the pressure's of now doing the weekly commute UK/SWE/POL for the first time doing all 3 may have taken its toll on the guy. Ok saying they are professional Speedway riders but at 21 as he was not everyone automatically can take on all the travel/flying/driving to & from tracks & hotel stay overs etc immediately.

I would hope that Brady arrives back in Europe suitably refreshed as although not number 1 now, a rider of his class should still be banging in big scores in our weakened league. His drop of form was alarming last season going from 8.08 at the start down to 6.75 on 1st Oct GSA's.

He needs to get back to his previous form or I feel we could have issues.

I attach no pressure to Jack Holder as it's only circumstances that pushes him into the number 1 slot and he still needs time.

I thought we were supposedly vulnerable in heats 13 and 15 in 2018 - yet not only did we make the play-offs but we won the Premiership trophy too.

• Like 3

I know its a different league, but nothing but positives coming out of Eastbourne Eagles .

Read their latest website release re new major sponsorship's and more exciting announcements (their words) to come out.  Seems some on the wealthier South Coast resorts businesses are prepared to invest locally in their club.

Which begs the question how come an affluent area like Dorset has not had a major team sponsor come forth for Poole. One can't help but think that the fact Ford is looking to get out of the biz is linked somehow, similar to those 2/3 companies who have chosen not to renew sponsorship.

Before the usual sponsor jumps on the wagon, yes I know some local companies do sponsor, but the fact is more seem to be  leaving with little to none joining. I wonder how many Prem teams will not have a team sponsor this year. One maybe ??

I would venture to suggest that Poole's current sponsors probably put them on a par with most if not all Premiership clubs.

4 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I thought we were supposedly vulnerable in heats 13 and 15 in 2018 - yet not only did we make the play-offs but we won the Premiership trophy too.

We may not have the obvious big guns, but I am sure we will get our share of points in those 2 heats and sometimes its not always about 5-1's. Getting 3-3 can be equally important especially away from home.

Anyway Matt is well known for shaking things up if it's not working, although this season could be different depending on club's situation at the time. Hopefully he won't have to but you can never legislate for both injuries and or loss of form, irrespective of how a team looks on paper in January.

As for the Prem trophy. Yes we did but with an incredible chunk of luck and good fortune due to injuries and worse possible time for Somerset and K.Lynn.  I think we used up most if not all of our 9 lives during last season ;-)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I would venture to suggest that Poole's current sponsors probably put them on a par with most if not all Premiership clubs.

I was waiting for that :-)

I don't doubt that Poole has some good sponsors. However the loss of the main team sponsor and at least 2 other regular one's is a concern.

Can we stop kidding ourselves Skidder. In any other season I think Matt would have snapped up both Woryna & Jakobsen. The fact remains money is tight at Poole and Matt has had to  reign in expenditure for 2019. The combination of major team sponsor loss (plus the others) and no doubt trying to balance the books for a possible sale must have an effect.

The facts remain we may be the only club without a Major Team Sponsor. Yes we have others but we should do. Dorset is one of the most affluent areas of the UK, and historically in the modern era of top flight speedway in UK, Poole have been the main team. Yet we have not attracted a main sponsor for 2019. I can't even think of any football club in any of the 4 main leagues in England who doesn't have a main team sponsor.

The obvious question is why when it is such a rich area. You have to think that the possible departure of the most successful Promoter of the last 15 years has to have something to do with it, unless big biz locally just doesn't want to have such a major association with the sport down in Dorset.

All we need now is another embarrassing announcement that the team will be in race bibs again to compound it all. It is wrong imo that a club like Poole does not have team kevlars. What message does that  send the sport around Europe. Important ??? - For you maybe not, but its as much about image and looking professional . Let's hope local biz digs deep if Ford can't afford it again which wouldn't surprise me after least season and his bemoaning of the situation before a wheel is turned. If he or they don't invest in kevlars then it sends it's own message in my book. Of course Matt may be thinking of the revolving door scenario again next season after the rider changes for various reasons this. Fortunately most if not all other Prem teams and even Champ teams don't think that way when kitting out their riders.

Hope I am wrong and team kevlars are purchased somehow.

32 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Yes we were we only won it by making changes you know it and everybody else does as well your just stirring the pot 

7 hours ago, Supersub said:

It doesn't look as if we will have a consistent No 1 for 2019 going by Aussie Championship results to date. Neither J Holder or Kurtz are in top 3 and only Masters & Morris of any repute are below them. Lidsey looks a good prospect. Looks like we shall have to rely on all round strenth but as ony 7 teams we should make play offs!

I would  not hold to much bearing on the Aussie form, apart from Fricke who should win it the rest can all beat each other on any given day.For most of the Aussies it is a working break, they will do there best and the racing is good  for there conditioning and race fitness but it is is not really life or death  then they are all  ready to rumble again in Europe.

53 minutes ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

I don't doubt that Poole has some good sponsors. However the loss of the main team sponsor and at least 2 other regular one's is a concern.

Can we stop kidding ourselves Skidder. In any other season I think Matt would have snapped up both Woryna & Jakobsen. The fact remains money is tight at Poole and Matt has had to  reign in expenditure for 2019. The combination of major team sponsor loss (plus the others) and no doubt trying to balance the books for a possible sale must have an effect.

The facts remain we may be the only club without a Major Team Sponsor. Yes we have others but we should do. Dorset is one of the most affluent areas of the UK, and historically in the modern era of top flight speedway in UK, Poole have been the main team. Yet we have not attracted a main sponsor for 2019. I can't even think of any football club in any of the 4 main leagues in England who doesn't have a main team sponsor.

The obvious question is why when it is such a rich area. You have to think that the possible departure of the most successful Promoter of the last 15 years has to have something to do with it, unless big biz locally just doesn't want to have such a major association with the sport down in Dorset.

All we need now is another embarrassing announcement that the team will be in race bibs again to compound it all. It is wrong imo that a club like Poole does not have team kevlars. What message does that  send the sport around Europe. Important ??? - For you maybe not, but its as much about image and looking professional . Let's hope local biz digs deep if Ford can't afford it again which wouldn't surprise me after least season and his bemoaning of the situation before a wheel is turned. If he or they don't invest in kevlars then it sends it's own message in my book. Of course Matt may be thinking of the revolving door scenario again next season after the rider changes for various reasons this. Fortunately most if not all other Prem teams and even Champ teams don't think that way when kitting out their riders.

Hope I am wrong and team kevlars are purchased somehow.

No doubt Ford wanting out is probably the main reason for the sponsor situation. I thought the bib thing was poor from Poole in 2018, although they didn't look bad tbh, only Woryna looked out of place. The jolly up for 8-9 ? at the end of the season would of cost much more than the kevlars would have, but we don't know all the facts.

1 hour ago, STEVEHOLS54 said:

Money is tight everywhere Steve, if they told the truth.

2 hours ago, ray c said:

Yes we were we only won it by making changes you know it and everybody else does as well your just stirring the pot 

Nothing wrong with making changes if we have to.

3 hours ago, ray c said:

Correct decision then. It’s never been a secret. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

othing wrong with making changes if we have to.

No I guess. But sometime riders will clock on and give Poole a miss in the end..Bit like a prison, at Poole your just a number :P

Edited by Bald Bloke

10 hours ago, ray c said:

And by having the ref firmly on your side and MPT's injury.... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Nothing wrong with making changes if we have to.

never said there was