British Speedway Forum

We are not liked due to our success, says Poole boss Ford

22nd October

We are not liked due to our success, says Poole boss Matt Ford

2887862?type=thumb
VIEW: Pirates chief Matt Ford

VIEW: Pirates chief Matt Ford

PIRATES boss Matt Ford believes the club is "not liked" outside of Dorset due to its bulging silverware cabinet.

Earlier this month, Poole secured their eighth top-flight league title in 16 seasons thanks to victory over King's Lynn in the SGB Premiership play-off final.

Team boss Neil Middleditch has made a habit of jokingly welcoming new riders to what he terms as "the most hated club in Britain".

And Ford told the Daily Echo: “I know we are not liked. I know myself and Neil are not liked but I think that to a degree it’s people who haven’t met us who don’t like us.

“It’s part of being at a club when it’s successful. It’s the way it is. All I can do is build the club as we have done for the past 20 years.

“From bringing in Mark Loram and Gary Havelock, securing the continued service of Lars Gunnestad and then going to another level with Magnus Zetterstrom and Tony Rickardsson.

“Then it just flowed. Leigh Adams and Antonio Lindback joined, Jason Crump came, Chris Holder came, Darcy Ward came and Maciej Janowski came.

“That’s the great part of the club – that we’ve never stopped trying to improve it."

Well he's half right there, they are disliked but not for their success . Just the underhanded, rule abusing approach used to gain it

• Like 4

So Poole won't be 'hated' from next season then??!!;)

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 3:24 PM, theblueboy said:

I would think that with all the stunts pulled by Poole over the years surely a tie up with Evel Knievel would be more appropriate?  The Evel Pirates? :P

Looking at the hole on bend 1, Pollyfilla could be a shout but I'm not sure they do a tube in that size....

Nevermind eh keep chomping.. When you know what your talking about you can come back..;)

Edited by Starman2006

7 hours ago, Starman2006 said:

Nevermind eh keep chomping.. When you know what your talking about you can come back..;)

• Classic Starman...
  • Only sees what he wants too..
  • Can someone enlighten the...
  • Know it all...

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, foreverblue said:

Matt Ford will stay unless a buyer can be found.

Matt Ford stays then ..speedway clubs are worthless I doubt you could  give them away 

Edited by orion

Today’s Speedway Star has an article showing that Pirates co-promoter is to retire from British speedway and will also leave his position with the SCB. Cites travel from his home on the Isle of Man as being one reason as well as not wishing to be an obstruction to progress. I had a lot of time for Gordon and wish him well.

2 hours ago, Rob Dyer said:

Today’s Speedway Star has an article showing that Pirates co-promoter is to retire from British speedway and will also leave his position with the SCB. Cites travel from his home on the Isle of Man as being one reason as well as not wishing to be an obstruction to progress. I had a lot of time for Gordon and wish him well.

Hmmm, I wonder if someone has made a decent offer to take over then..?

Edit- new promoter to replace Gordon could be announced next week, maybe..

Edited by lisa-colette

'Local businessman' is to be the new promoter. Steve Shovlar, you sure it's not you??!!;) 

11 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

'Local businessman' is to be the new promoter. Steve Shovlar, you sure it's not you??!!;) 

Just as I was beginning to think anyone would be better than Fraud.:D

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Don't forget to mention his assistant :cheers:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ray c said:

Don't forget to mention his assistant :cheers:

Ha!!:D That is just taking it too far! ;)

On 10/16/2018 at 1:51 PM, The Weasel said:

It's not local but I'm surprised they haven't considered a tie in with these guys.....http://www.fastonepizza-smethwick.co.uk/

The Poole 'Fast One' Pirates would resonate with speedway fans all over the world giving both parties global exposure.

They could also provide the bikes for next seasons imported star reserve. :D

I think this is the business owned by the Fastone brothers (pronounced Fastoni, as in Swiss Tony). I hear they could be interested in getting involved in owning a Speedway club

3 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Hope the local businessman has deep pockets because he isn’t going to make any money from speedway in its current state

Has to be Harry Redknapp and his son Jamie.

One is excellent at getting a deal done by any means and the other is excellent at cheating 

2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Has to be Harry Redknapp and his son Jamie.

One is excellent at getting a deal done by any means and the other is excellent at cheating 

A perfect match for the Poole “Cheating Scumbag” Pirates :wink: