British Speedway Forum
TonyE

Lakeside v Glasgow Friday 14th

Great racing, great turn out to a sad farewell .

Cook was responsible for the Morris crash BUT there was no intent, just hard riding....wasnt too impressed with Vissing's look over his shoulder and check mating Bowtell  though, that looked deliberate. 

Gonna take a while for me to support another team/venue

From where I was, the Vissing move on Alfie was deliberate and worthy of Nicky P.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TonyE said:

From where I was, the Vissing move on Alfie was deliberate and worthy of Nicky P.

Completely agree, it looked a bit naughty from where I was standing too. It also certainly looked like there was contact from Cook (who was very impressive all night) when Nick hit the fence in heat 15.

Really glad that Richard won the last race.

8 hours ago, Eyejay said:

No idea what you have been drinking, but I suggest you stop swiftly. I have read some myopic comments on all kinds of forums but yours really are utter tosh. As stated above Craig Cook wiped Morris out totally, and it was a very generous all four back, as for rolling other than Ellis (When he was rightly pulled up) I don’t recall any. 

To be fair Dorothy was there and that is her opinion yes slightly biased to her team but still her opinion , you have your opinion no different but slightly biased to your team which is also your right.

People see things differently all the time doesn't make them wrong, so maybe you just take these things into account. 

It was a really good crowd, I hope a few influential people were there last night to witness the fact there is still very much support there for a speedway track in Essex.

As soon as I got in the car park you could see this was going to be a big crowd, I was really worried that they were going to run out of programs but I got lucky and still managed to get one, I would have been well and truly gutted if I had not because this was a lasting souvenir to our time at this venue, the meeting ended up dragging but to be honest I wasn't even aware of the time until later because it was just so nice to catch up with those who have not been for some time.

It was what should have been a sad night but to me felt more like a celebration of the venues existence for all these years despite the many times that the stadium or the club itself has been up in the air as to whether it would see another season.

The biggest thing was that it wasn't the end of the club full stop, we keep going at another venue for the time being and I do intend to support that now where I can because although my head says we will never have a track in Essex again, my heart says otherwise.

So we still have a team, we have somewhere to race, now we just need an organisation who can run British Speedway properly and orderly.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, marko said:

It was a really good crowd, I hope a few influential people were there last night to witness the fact there is still very much support there for a speedway track in Essex.

As soon as I got in the car park you could see this was going to be a big crowd, I was really worried that they were going to run out of programs but I got lucky and still managed to get one, I would have been well and truly gutted if I had not because this was a lasting souvenir to our time at this venue, the meeting ended up dragging but to be honest I wasn't even aware of the time until later because it was just so nice to catch up with those who have not been for some time.

It was what should have been a sad night but to me felt more like a celebration of the venues existence for all these years despite the many times that the stadium or the club itself has been up in the air as to whether it would see another season.

The biggest thing was that it wasn't the end of the club full stop, we keep going at another venue for the time being and I do intend to support that now where I can because although my head says we will never have a track in Essex again, my heart says otherwise.

So we still have a team, we have somewhere to race, now we just need an organisation who can run British Speedway properly and orderly.

Very well said, despite the programme being restricted to one per person, I still managed to blag a few extras. The club missed a trick limiting the print run to a 1000.

It was indeed a bit of a marathon in the end but glad to say “I was there” to coin a phrase. Having cut my speedway teeth with Romford Bombers it was sad to see the last Essex team move on, hopefully just for now. Two air fence punctures slowed things more than usual, but hopefully the riders involved Zach Wajtknecht and Nick Morris are OK. Zach hit the fence more or less head on on bend 4 at some speed. 

The racing was good, a tight track that requires a lot of skill. Have to say how impressed I’ve been with Richard Lawson this week. Not a rider I’ve followed closely but his guesting at Ipswich the previous night kept the match close until the the latter stages, and he was excellent again last night fittingly winning the final heat. Cooky at this level is difficult to beat but Lawson matched him 2-2 head to head.

Announcer hoping James Sarjeant wouldn’t demolish the tapes, even off a 15m handicap, amused me. And as always hope the benefit fund collection was well supported.

Edited by Tactical Joker
  • Like 1

Decent score for the Tigers hitting 40 at Lakeside as it’s a tough place to go to,  I don’t see the Hammers being as dominant 

at Rye House as they have been at home all season and if they finish top and pick Glasgow my money would be on us.

Travel wise Workington v Glasgow would be ideal .

15 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

Decent score for the Tigers hitting 40 at Lakeside as it’s a tough place to go to,  I don’t see the Hammers being as dominant 

at Rye House as they have been at home all season and if they finish top and pick Glasgow my money would be on us.

Travel wise Workington v Glasgow would be ideal .

Hope that is not the case as it would mean we get Lakeside again. Exciting end to the season (not) with Lakeside tonight, twice in the championship shield, twice in the cup and twice in the play offs.

6 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

what was the attendance like like night was it packed double the normal amount rough numbers ?

About three times the normal amount. I'd say around the 2000 mark. Pretty good for modern crowd levels.

• Like 1

Cris Gay was the official ref last night and is notorious for holding the tapes to long he ruins every meeting he runs,,,,the riders hate him ,,and its about time he was removed from the lists..but unfortunately the powers that  be who are killing speedway in this country will do nothing about this or anything else that sees fans disappearing at an alarming rate.....

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

About three times the normal amount. I'd say around the 2000 mark. Pretty good for modern crowd levels.

I'd say a lot more than that. The biggest crowd in recent years for a league fixture was 2,700 for a Bank Holiday meeting against the old enemy Eastbourne several years ago. I would say it was at least that many, probably a little more, probably approaching 3000. The start was delayed by 15 minutes because they were still coming in. 

If only we could have a crowd like that for a meeting like that every week

2 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I'd say a lot more than that. The biggest crowd in recent years for a league fixture was 2,700 for a Bank Holiday meeting against the old enemy Eastbourne several years ago. I would say it was at least that many, probably a little more, probably approaching 3000. The start was delayed by 15 minutes because they were still coming in. 

Presumably having Cook and Harris in opposition would have helped a wee bit

16 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

It was the biggest crowd I'd seen at Arena since the Lee Richardson meeting.

• Like 1