British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topaz325

Workington v Peterborough 14/09/18 7:30pm Ch

Apparently in a new twist, it appears that as Simon has (previously unbeknown to his bride to be) invited his team mates to the wedding to provide a guard of honour in their Kevlars she has insisted they all tucked up safely in their beds this evening by 8pm.

Luckily for Peterborough they have discovered a little known clause in the rulebook  which covers this eventuality which allows them to bring in a whole team of GP riders. Therefore it will be the Comets v Woffinden, Zmarzlik, Janowski, Lindgren, Barker (guest for Dudek), Hancock and Laguta.

It is obviously going to be make it a little tougher for the boys tonight but we have had bigger hurdles to cross this year, so I say we will just sneak it 47-43.

C'mon you Comets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Gazc said:

Just get this on don't want any teams from further North over on the East coast and there name beginning with an E slipping in the back door.

Really hope it is on but weather is poor at the moment.

Even if it is I think we are up against it now Barker has been "Persuaded" to change teams on the night, and a wedding guest is allowed.

Can see Peterborough wanting to be top and pulling out all the stops to do so, but let Edinburgh in at your peril!

If they do slip in the back door they will probably win it in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, yellow and black said:

Really hope it is on but weather is poor at the moment.

Even if it is I think we are up against it now Barker has been "Persuaded" to change teams on the night, and a wedding guest is allowed.

Can see Peterborough wanting to be top and pulling out all the stops to do so, but let Edinburgh in at your peril!

If they do slip in the back door they will probably win it in my opinion.

Totally agree Y & B, would much prefer Peterborough, Glasgow, Worky and Lakeside in the top four . No-one will beat Edinburgh up at the dangerous fortress , they will win the league on home advantage alone :neutral:

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Totally agree Y & B, would much prefer Peterborough, Glasgow, Worky and Lakeside in the top four . No-one will beat Edinburgh up at the dangerous fortress , they will win the league on home advantage alone :neutral:

Everyone has harped on for years about Edinburgh's home advantage, this is the first year it has actually been true and borne out by statistics. In previous years we have been good home and away with a lower-than-average difference between home and away scores.

However surely everyone would agree that getting in to the Playoffs because other teams had rain-offs would be very disappointing and one of several reasons why I can't abide the Playoffs. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Ben Barker was in the Derwent Lounge after the meeting last week, and he was asked directly if he was guesting FOR US in the Peterborough Meeting ? 

His answer was a definite YES.

So what the hell is going on here ?   This smacks of something underhand !

If this is true that Barker is a Peterborough asset then all they've done is pulled rank, rather have him ride for than against? :unsure:

Not a good advert for the sport whatever but it is what it is now and we'll just have to battle on regardless, we've done it before, we'll do it again!! :t:

Hope Tero has his bike sorted, was smokin like a good un after HT 15 last week? :D

16 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

If this is true that Barker is a Peterborough asset then all they've done is pulled rank, rather have him ride for than against? :unsure:

Not a good advert for the sport whatever but it is what it is now and we'll just have to battle on regardless, we've done it before, we'll do it again!! :t:

Hope Tero has his bike sorted, was smokin like a good un after HT 15 last week? :D

It's true, I wouldn't hold it against Barker.

Edited by comet49
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Stewart said:

Everyone has harped on for years about Edinburgh's home advantage, this is the first year it has actually been true and borne out by statistics. In previous years we have been good home and away with a lower-than-average difference between home and away scores.

However surely everyone would agree that getting in to the Playoffs because other teams had rain-offs would be very disappointing and one of several reasons why I can't abide the Playoffs. 

I agree with you there, all meetings should be raced before they cut-off for play-offs so it's fair for all teams...For me , the same as last year , the league champions are the team who finish at the top of the league after all meetings, Sheffield were that team last year ,and thankfully won the play-offs , but a team who finish 4th can  go on to win the play-offs :unsure: 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

Apparently in a new twist, it appears that as Simon has (previously unbeknown to his bride to be) invited his team mates to the wedding to provide a guard of honour in their Kevlars she has insisted they all tucked up safely in their beds this evening by 8pm.

Luckily for Peterborough they have discovered a little known clause in the rulebook  which covers this eventuality which allows them to bring in a whole team of GP riders. Therefore it will be the Comets v Woffinden, Zmarzlik, Janowski, Lindgren, Barker (guest for Dudek), Hancock and Laguta.

It is obviously going to be make it a little tougher for the boys tonight but we have had bigger hurdles to cross this year, so I say we will just sneak it 47-43.

C'mon you Comets.

Typical speedway, last-minute promotion of such a spectacle. I would have paid £25  to get in to see that. Too late to trek all that way far north now. I hope I can get it on DVD later. Are the Comet's matches usually filmed? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

Are the Comet's matches usually filmed? 

Sadly they are not. 

Weather forecast now MUCH IMPROVED !   Nothing like as much rain fell this morning, as had been forecast !

Latest Met Office forecast at 1pm shows no more rain all afternoon (Sun is out now). BUT....an hour of VERY heavy rain between 6pm and 7pm only..then dry all night after that. 

Fingers Crossed !

• Like 2

1 minute ago, A.N.Other said:

Weather forecast now MUCH IMPROVED !   Nothing like as much rain fell this morning, as had been forecast !

Latest Met Office forecast at 1pm shows no more rain all afternoon (Sun is out now). BUT....an hour of VERY heavy rain between 6pm and 7pm only..then dry all night after that. 

Fingers Crossed !

Fingers crossed its a heavy shower rather than heavy rain :( its quite warm out there at the minute ...can you believe that our play-off hopes are hanging on what the weather is going to do , its so stressful :D

Depends on which forecast you read because as usual they are all bloody different :angry: Overall should be ok.  Just waiting for my lift.:)

18 hours ago, gregory peck said:

We're on Friday this week, newcy on Saturday when I went to school they were two different days,so yes aarnio will be riding unless he's going on Simon lamberts stag night

Yes. I hold my hands up and admit I got it wrong. I was working on the misplaced assumption that Workington had been told that Friday's were a no no except when racing other Saturday night teams and didn't check the date properly.

• Like 1

Good luck to the Comets tonight i wish you well.

• Like 2