British Speedway Forum
cyclone

Edinburgh vs Berwick SGB Championship 14th September, 2018, 7.30pm

11 minutes ago, sparks123 said:

If Berwick lose and Lakeside rained off or lose then Edinburgh are probably in the playoffs.

Wait until later on before celebrating.:drink:

No problem with the weather down south fortunately and no celebrations either.

But it is nice that they were cock sure well some anyway that they were certainties to qualify then win it , aint karma a bitch :D.

On a side note how good was it to see Jye Etheridge score well , just another wee reminder to ram words back down the throat of people who said them well done Jye.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

It’s just being respectful to your opposing fans to provide weather updates when someone asks for god sake, doesn’t matter anyways, we came, we saw, we conquered, pumped off your two local rivals in the space of 4 days and one was at the fortress. 

Mr Anderson I thought you won the league last week? Now you’s arn’t even in the play offs? What went wrong? Embarrassing collapse 

Neither of your posts were respectful. 

Many congraulations on your victory. 

4 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

To be fair it’s a very fair and gracious match report, although the use of the word ‘we’ should be banned from the website of any professional sports team/club.

Don’t see the problem with a club’s website using the term “we”. Suspect it’s done the world over. 

15 hours ago, bree34 said:

This result is great for the bandits.this wipe out of Edinburgh could not have come at a better time with trying to buy a championship and sack so many riders. S_ _ K rubbish john Campbell 

Clueless.

1 hour ago, dorothy58 said:

Looking forward to listening in to this weeks episode of tapes up, nice for us to have bragging rights for a change

We'll no doubt have to endure yet another show dominated by the thoughts and opinions of the narcissistic Graham.

Doubt Derek will get the last word in on anything. Not that he ever does.

3 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Congrats to all concerned,but it does make you wonder why this effort to get the meeting on is not replicated sometimes in the middle of the season.Everybody knew it was last chance salon for both Teams,and the attitude was different from riders(or were they told to get on with it).The Posponed Berwick match earlier in the season the sun was out 1/2 hour after it was called off.Double standard from Promotions and Riders IMO .Well done to the Bandits.

Is this a serious post? Whilst we ended up with some good races in the end and track was as good as it possibly could be given the circumstances any other week that would have been cancelled at 7pm. The track staff did an amazing job to get this meeting on and the Berwick riders deserve all the credit for adapting so well in the early stages.

It's clear to see from the last 7 races what the result would have been on a dry track but that Is irrelevant. I also think that we would have beaten most other teams but the riders berwicknhave were perfect for the occasion. It is sport after and sometimes upsets happen.

Well done Berwick just need Newcastle and Peterborough to do the same tonight

1 hour ago, scotchopper said:

Is this a serious post? Whilst we ended up with some good races in the end and track was as good as it possibly could be given the circumstances any other week that would have been cancelled at 7pm. The track staff did an amazing job to get this meeting on and the Berwick riders deserve all the credit for adapting so well in the early stages.

It's clear to see from the last 7 races what the result would have been on a dry track but that Is irrelevant. I also think that we would have beaten most other teams but the riders berwicknhave were perfect for the occasion. It is sport after and sometimes upsets happen.

Well done Berwick just need Newcastle and Peterborough to do the same tonight

Yes it is,you are  misreading what I am saying IMO..Its just my opinion .Why would it be cancelled in any other week is the question I am asking.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JanAnderson said:

Don’t see the problem with a club’s website using the term “we”. Suspect it’s done the world over. 

Not so.  Many websites would use the word "they" or "the" (name of club) so as to maintain objectivity (if you check you will find that this is more often the case).  Different if a person is being quoted within "inverted commas" and only then the word "we" will appear, but not in the words of the reporter which will be "they" or "the" (name of club).  The point Bagpuss seemed to touch upon was that Mr Hunter tends to present an all too partisan and personalised approach.  While in some ways there's not much wrong with being passionate etc and you know what you will get with Mike (I for one reckon he is an honest chap that tells it as he sees it), however it is also appropriate (many would say more appropriate) to present a less overtly partisan manner and instead a more objective and (some would say) a more professional manner.  Part of it may also be who is the intended audience, it seems Mike is only speaking to the Monarchs faithful, while it appears other sites have a wider audience in mind, and yes on checking you will find that the latter approach is more common, including the website of a club further west and whether you love them or loathe them they are reckoned to be clued up on the media side of things.

• Like 3

I also think it sounds unprofessional.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Yes it is,you are  misreading what I am saying IMO..Its just my opinion .Why would it be cancelled in any other week is the question I am asking.

I got your point. The track was rideable but not raceable for the first 10 races that for me means it should have been off. If it was like that frequently people wouldn't go. I go to watch speedway racing.

It also took a huge amount of effort to get it to that state and a 45 minute delay to the start, that couldn't happen every week.

Riders would have normally refused to race as well, last night was an exception because of the cut off and everyone understood that.

As for the we on the website, who really cares you are just nit picking. You would be correct if it was on an independent site or the bspa site but not on the club's own website which is maintained and updated by volunteers who give up a huge amount of their time for speedway. I would expect reports on there to have a monarchs slant if other clubs do it differently that is your prerogative. No one forces you to read it

There we go hahaha it should of been off... I can’t think of a Berwick rider crashing all night and they’re the away team. The track was fine due to a terrific job done by the track staff l. 

• Like 2

No excuses here, the track was the same for both teams but the Berwick riders adapted much better, were excellent and thoroughly deserved their win.

I also didn't say it should have been off I said because of the cut off date it had to on.  I believe if the cut off date was 30th September it would have been cancelled at 7pm.

I was in hospitality so walked over the track at heat 8 and the state of my trainers is testament to the fact the track was not 'fine.

As i said before well done berwick

• Like 1

I got your point. The track was rideable but not raceable for the first 10 races that for me means it should have been off. If it was like that frequently people wouldn't go. I go to watch speedway racing.

I'm like you, I go to watch racing and not processions. But I disagree re the track in the first 10 heats. Bandits wanted to race, Monarchs seemed less keen to. We saw a sublime pass by Jakobsen on Wells in heat 6 which proved it was perfectly raceable for those who wished to race. The reasons the heats before were one sided was due to the pathetic gating of the home team. 

I would say last night's track was definitely more raceable than last Friday's. 

• Like 2

that for me means it should have been off.

30 minutes ago, scotchopper said:

I also didn't say it should have been off

I was in hospitality so walked over the track at heat 8 and the state of my trainers is testament to the fact the track was not 'fine.

As i said before well done berwick

You literally did say it should of been off stop talking out yir arse

How muddy your trainers are doesn’t determine if the track was fine or not, the riders, track staff and referee does.

Riders would have normally refused to race as well, last night was an exception because of the cut off and everyone understood that.

That is what I am saying,why was it an exception last night.Double Standards IMO.

As for the "we" on the website,you will find no mention of it in my posts.