British Speedway Forum
Sings4Speedway

Play Off Run In

59 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

I wonder what the league table would lookl like if the Buxton and Stoke fixtures were expunged, as only riding and losing in half your fixtures favours some teams who are making a genuine effort as opposed to others who are similarly making a genine effort but who are being denied the chance of scoring league points by the ineptitude of the two joke teams in question.

Stoke beat us fair and square at their place ..... ???

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Stoke beat us fair and square at their place ..... ???

Well, good for them I suppose. But they are 3 home and 1 away fixtrues short of completing their obligations. 3 teams have won at Stoke already, only Birmingham and IoW have lost there. Is it fair on Plymouth, Eastbourne, and Buxton (!) to deny them the chances of gaining points too?

Plymouth for instance, with 4 point wins at Stoke and Buxton (also not yet ridden) could leapfrog Birmingham in the league, and with some better luck and fortune elsewhere during the year, could have been in the mix at the end of the season, a fate that Buxton and Stoke have just about gotten away with denying them. You have to ask, if things had panned out differently for Plymouth, could Stoke have been culpable for keeping them out of the play-offs by not fulfilling their fixture obligations?

• Like 1

I really do think that the Birmingham Riders and Management wish they hadn’t refused to ride at Buxton earlier in the Season, If they had have ridden they would now be in the Play Offs, As there League Fixture was changed to a Trophy Meeting, But what I don’t understand is they were prepared to ride on Sunday when it WAS Dangerous,  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Well, good for them I suppose. But they are 3 home and 1 away fixtrues short of completing their obligations. 3 teams have won at Stoke already, only Birmingham and IoW have lost there. Is it fair on Plymouth, Eastbourne, and Buxton (!) to deny them the chances of gaining points too?

Plymouth for instance, with 4 point wins at Stoke and Buxton (also not yet ridden) could leapfrog Birmingham in the league, and with some better luck and fortune elsewhere during the year, could have been in the mix at the end of the season, a fate that Buxton and Stoke have just about gotten away with denying them. You have to ask, if things had panned out differently for Plymouth, could Stoke have been culpable for keeping them out of the play-offs by not fulfilling their fixture obligations?

I agree with you that their 'tracks' are probably not fit for purpose....but I really don't care about Plymouth/Eastbourne completing their fixtures?

At the end of the day, the teams that finish above 'us' in the league will be the teams that have 'beat' us and deserve to be there.....so from a  B'ham perspective, I can't see any room for argument/debate?

Plymouth may be/feel hard done by, but even they've had to cancel meetings because of sewage problems?

• Confused 1

This non completion of fixtures is a farce.....and running the National Trophy/KOC matches before the League fixtures doesn't help matters....but 'I/we' (other forum members) have already mentioned this.....but I doubt that the BSPA will take any notice!

• Like 4

Well, GiveusaB, My experience over many years tells me that the reason that less important dates such as National Trophy are run early

in the season is so that riders and tracks can get dialled in before the league matches come in.  Not that I consider Trophy to be

un-important, if you win it, you'd crow about it, I think.

18 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Well, GiveusaB, My experience over many years tells me that the reason that less important dates such as National Trophy are run early

in the season is so that riders and tracks can get dialled in before the league matches come in.  Not that I consider Trophy to be

I can see why teams like those meetings early (effectively low pressure challenge matches) but if they went straight into league racing there could be a few upsets early on and surely the sport needs more shock results not less?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Not really...the NT and the KOC doesn't float my boat...especially as not 'all' teams participate anyway?

As for dialling in ? if you're not race ready by start of May then you never will be ..... imo ?

I like S4S suggestion that there may be a few surprise results by getting straight on with it....?

The only riders that I see being hindered (as far as form/experience go) are the 'new' reserve riders ?

Edited by GiveusaB

1 hour ago, East End Fan said:

Also if you've a wiz kid coming in at reserve on a 3.00 can get half way through the year gaining experience before having to go up to the main body if you delay the league fixtures. Maybe another thing to adjust? (Sorry just seen GiveusaB made a similar point)

Edited by gazzac

43 minutes ago, Woz01 said:

I wonder how strong the Birmingham 1-7 will be on Sunday?

If the Cradley Globetrotters can't get together a 1-7 to beat Mildenhall, then I doubt that the Brummies will either. 

5 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

but I really don't care about Plymouth/Eastbourne completing their fixtures?

At the end of the day, the teams that finish above 'us' in the league will be the teams that have 'beat' us and deserve to be there

A case of "but for the grace of god there go the Brummies"... the problem has been identified, and ok this year other teams could have been affected. That doesn't mean that the problem shouldn''t be addressed and sorted out. Next year it could well be the Brummies who come a cropper, and then you'll be saying "why didn't we fix this problem earlier". 

Getting back on thread?

An away point at Mildenhall would get us get back in to the play offs....

I think we can pull this one off !

32 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It's provisionally Mildenhall v Kent in the play offs according to the Kings fixture list.

Don't see how they can announce that without the tables being finalised ?

Just now, GiveusaB said:

Don't see how they can announce that without the tables being finalised ?

I'd take Eastbourne over 2 legs if we can get there : )