British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
r8gdp

What's the best race you ve seen live

Chris and Darcy splitting the KL pair, and the 1981 Penhall Olsen and Penhall Knudsen races, speedway at its best but to be fair ive seen many. Michael Lee at his best was also a joy to watch. I still remember him stalking Mitch Shirra for 3 laps at Poole and taking him like he was stood  still. Mark Loram wasnt to bad either..:party: So was Krystof Cegelski he would have been World champ at least once.

Edited by Starman2006

46 minutes ago, ray c said:

Loram v hamill that was classic at poole many years ago

That was a cracking race. Havvy, Loram , Hamill and Hancock. Havvy to be honest kept messing Mark up but was great race. How I’d long to see 4 top riders in a race again in the UK

• Like 1

My fave race was at Perry Barr 2013 when Brum finished top of the pile ,we never lead the match against Peterboro but the last race was a cracker,Barker went round the boards with King on the inside ,Buckowski 3rd and Bjerre last ,somebody on Updates commented (Absolutely sensational! The place is banging! Bluejam says he needs to get his breath back after a monster of a heat! PB has just gone off the richter scale! Amazing!)    We had won 46 -----44
after all that we beat Wolves in the semi final and got slaughtered in the Grand Final by Poole!!!

Edited by Bluenose
  • Like 1

Been done to death many times but Collins v Michanek, 73 KO Cup Final run off, all square after 2 legs, Mich on Bernie Leigh's bike, PC with a broken wrist meaning he had to have the clutch lever mounted on the throttle side, lead changed hands every bend of every lap with PC claiming victory on the run to the line.

• Haha 1

The best race I’ve ever seen is an impossible task.     Over the years I have seen some truly magical races, even from riders you wouldn’t believe.  There have been many times when I’ve wished the rider to miss the gate, knowing full well he would win from the back, and you imagine the excitement before it actually happened.

So I started to reason what makes a race so special,   Be it an impossible task,   or the value of the race,  the execution of the overtake,  the consequences of winning,  the value of the race,   does riding for your team make it more important than riding for your own being.   One race that includes all those attributes was back in 2012, heat 15 when Lynn held a narrow lead against Poole, and needing 3 pts to be assured of victory. 

Guesting for the injured Darcy Ward, Davy Watts with Chris Holder shot from the gate.   Niels, with Magic in tow, gave chase.  Losing 5-1 would have been disastrous.  Coming out of the 4th bend,  lap1, Niels takes Watts and goes after Holder.  L2 B1, Magic joins the party relegating Watt to last place, giving us the 3 pts we need for an impressive win.  As they start L3 the gap between Holder and Niels has halved, with Janowski not far behind.   Holder is looking round in amazement as the posse closes in.   As they start the last lap, Holder chooses a tight line going into bend 1, Niels goes high. Holder sees Niels line and moves out to block, but Niels is aware and he himself cuts back inside.  Side by side down the back straight they go into B3.  Both are going too fast and are forced to take the high line, but Niels has a narrow advantage and edges ahead.   To put the icing on the cake, Magic takes advantage of the out-of-shape Holder, and moves into second for a memorable victory that was against all the odds.   No, Poole didn’t have Darcy that night, but Holder was on the verge of being World Champion. Nobody had expected him to beaten that race after he had established a healthy lead.  But to be relegated to 3rd was an unbelievable achievement by both Niels and Janowski, giving the Kings Lynn Stars a welcomed victory against the all conquering Pirates.    

A race that had it all ………. 

• Thanks 1

Kings Lynn vs Ipswich where Shane Parker split the Ipswich pair in heat 15 to win the meeting I think it was against Rickardson and Louis 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2008 Abbey Stadium   Adams v Crump.        Crump won heat 1 taking Adams from the back slipping through on the inside, then Adams had his revenge twice one race holding  a charging Crump at bay there races were awesome.

• Like 1

Without a doubt that the best race I can remember was the run off at Coventry for 4th place in the British championship between Ray Wilson & Martin Ashby , which decided the last place in the 1975 World Final. I have watched to race on DVD many times since and even today it still thrills me

• Like 1

Hsmpel vs Emil  and Emil vs Ward at NZ GPs.

Gundersen's heat 20 ride at the 85 world final. 

Countless superb races at hyde rd over the years, but not one which shines above the others (maybe Mort beating Carter at the 83 northern league riders, or Andy Smith beating Mike Lee in the league in the same season). 

On 9/17/2018 at 4:55 AM, nw42 said:

Been done to death many times but Collins v Michanek, 73 KO Cup Final run off, all square after 2 legs, Mich on Bernie Leigh's bike, PC with a broken wrist meaning he had to have the clutch lever mounted on the throttle side, lead changed hands every bend of every lap with PC claiming victory on the run to the line.

My choice definitely... 16 passes in 4 laps.... one on each corner !!!!

2007 SGP final,  Cardiff..HARRISSS!!! Sending 40000 Brits wild.

• Like 2

Loram v Louis British Final run off 1997. 

After following Mark and sponsoring him since the age of 15 to see him lift his first British crown was great and the race was hard but fair.

Wasnt there but go on you tube and watch Mark v the Gollobs in 2001. They try to team ride and twice Tomasz almost fences Mark only for him to get them both.

Not often Mark showed emotion on track but he did crossing the line in that one!

On 9/17/2018 at 7:14 AM, g13webb said:

The best race I’ve ever seen is an impossible task.     Over the years I have seen some truly magical races, even from riders you wouldn’t believe.  There have been many times when I’ve wished the rider to miss the gate, knowing full well he would win from the back, and you imagine the excitement before it actually happened.

So I started to reason what makes a race so special,   Be it an impossible task,   or the value of the race,  the execution of the overtake,  the consequences of winning,  the value of the race,   does riding for your team make it more important than riding for your own being.   One race that includes all those attributes was back in 2012, heat 15 when Lynn held a narrow lead against Poole, and needing 3 pts to be assured of victory. 

Guesting for the injured Darcy Ward, Davy Watts with Chris Holder shot from the gate.   Niels, with Magic in tow, gave chase.  Losing 5-1 would have been disastrous.  Coming out of the 4th bend,  lap1, Niels takes Watts and goes after Holder.  L2 B1, Magic joins the party relegating Watt to last place, giving us the 3 pts we need for an impressive win.  As they start L3 the gap between Holder and Niels has halved, with Janowski not far behind.   Holder is looking round in amazement as the posse closes in.   As they start the last lap, Holder chooses a tight line going into bend 1, Niels goes high. Holder sees Niels line and moves out to block, but Niels is aware and he himself cuts back inside.  Side by side down the back straight they go into B3.  Both are going too fast and are forced to take the high line, but Niels has a narrow advantage and edges ahead.   To put the icing on the cake, Magic takes advantage of the out-of-shape Holder, and moves into second for a memorable victory that was against all the odds.   No, Poole didn’t have Darcy that night, but Holder was on the verge of being World Champion. Nobody had expected him to beaten that race after he had established a healthy lead.  But to be relegated to 3rd was an unbelievable achievement by both Niels and Janowski, giving the Kings Lynn Stars a welcomed victory against the all conquering Pirates.    

A race that had it all ………. 

Goosebumps thinking about that! Scenes at Lynn not seen since until last week versus Swindon. Place was jumping.

Only right to mention how dignified and gracious in defeat both Middlo and Holder were in the pits immediately afterwards. They were class acts that night. Davey was gutted understandably!

• Like 1